Thread: Droid bionic losing data, but showing still connected

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Droid bionic losing data, but showing still connected

Hi - I have a strange problem with my Bionic (that I got on the day it was released). It is rooted, but only so that I could remove the pre-installed bloatware. No other major changes besides that have been made to it.

Frequently over the past couple weeks I've been noticing that, even though it shows me still having 4G and 4 bars of signal strength, I will have no data. Then I'll try again and it'll start working, then it'll stop working moments later, so on and so forth. I use the "restart connections" app and that typically seems to kick it out of that mode - but it'll lose data again in not so long.

Anybody have any idea what is up? It's driving me a bit crazy.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 4 32 Gig & 64 Miicro SD
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (Evil Empire) 3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    I’ve had the Bionic on launch day and have had problems with the Hotspot from day 1. It would connect to my laptop with internet access for a few minutes (or not at all) and then it would kick me off. When I put the cursor over the network icon it will say connected but it also says “Unidentified network” “No network access”. If I look at the status it says
    IPv4 Connectivity: No network access
    IPv6 Connectivity: No network access
    Media State: Enabled
    Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    Now if I tether with the cable it will get internet access. Called VZW Tech and they were baffled.
    I’ve had 2 Bionics and they both do the same thing. I’ve changed channels and that has not helped.

According to my Motorola Xoom it can NOT obtain an IP address from my phone and will not connect..

At least this time the Tech Level 2 acknowledges that other Motorola owners are having the same problems. According to Level 2 Tech Support it has to do with how Motorola handles WPA2 PSK while tethering. I’ve had this phone since launch day so you would think they would have this problem solved by now.

I’m upset because I’ve been paying for MHS for 10 months with limited benefits (must tether physically) with Dell Laptop. No benefit (unable to tether physically) for my Motorola Xoom.

They thought that S/W 905 would help. Well it's a little better but still does the same thing...

BTW I have a Novatel 4510 MiFi and have had no problems with that. Connects and tethers flawlessly.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Racquetballer View Post
    I’ve had the Bionic on launch day and have had problems with the Hotspot from day 1. It would connect to my laptop with internet access for a few minutes (or not at all) and then it would kick me off. When I put the cursor over the network icon it will say connected but it also says “Unidentified network” “No network access”. If I look at the status it says
    IPv4 Connectivity: No network access
    IPv6 Connectivity: No network access
    Media State: Enabled
    Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    Now if I tether with the cable it will get internet access. Called VZW Tech and they were baffled.
    I’ve had 2 Bionics and they both do the same thing. I’ve changed channels and that has not helped.

According to my Motorola Xoom it can NOT obtain an IP address from my phone and will not connect..

At least this time the Tech Level 2 acknowledges that other Motorola owners are having the same problems. According to Level 2 Tech Support it has to do with how Motorola handles WPA2 PSK while tethering. I’ve had this phone since launch day so you would think they would have this problem solved by now.

I’m upset because I’ve been paying for MHS for 10 months with limited benefits (must tether physically) with Dell Laptop. No benefit (unable to tether physically) for my Motorola Xoom.

They thought that S/W 905 would help. Well it's a little better but still does the same thing...

BTW I have a Novatel 4510 MiFi and have had no problems with that. Connects and tethers flawlessly.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Try Foxfi from the Play Store. It works great for me as I always have problem with the stock MHS/tether app.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Still had problems when I used Foxfi..

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Racquetballer View Post
    Still had problems when I used Foxfi..
    It must be VZW's network in your area. You can't use any hotspot if the network isn't running properly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    It must be VZW's network in your area. You can't use any hotspot if the network isn't running properly.

Nothing wrong with the network it's the phone. It has to do with how Motorola handles WPA2 PSK while wirelessly tethering. I can stay connected all day long if I tether with a cable to the Bionic. Also I have a Novatel 4510 MiFi and can tether all day long wirelessly. So it's not the network. I've been through 2 New Bionics. Sounds like I've got two lemons.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was having this issue. The leaked ICS .2233 update fixed it but it broke MHS so I went back to .905 only to have to suffer the problem again (at least my MHS works). I noticed that the majority of the time my battery life was low when I had the problem.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Disregard. Double post compliments of Crapatalk.
    Last edited by akhi216; 06-26-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    I was having this issue. The leaked ICS .2233 update fixed it but it broke MHS so I went back to .905 only to have to suffer the problem again (at least my MHS works). I noticed that the majority of the time my battery life was low when I had the problem.

Full Bat and I'm still having that problem.. I've been through 2 new bionics.. Maybe I'll call vzw and get a refurb...

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just reinstalled the Android 4.0.4 .2233 leak over .905 and the data stall problem is fixed and Foxfi works properly. The first time around I did a factory reset on .905 beforehand, apparently that screwed up the MHS.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Good to hear, akhi. So what does "data stall" mean anyway? I don't have LTE; I have had a dozen 3g disconnects in 9 months which seemed related to sleep under 902. But under 905, I've had a couple instances that behaved like turning data toggle off momentarily.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Good to hear, akhi. So what does "data stall" mean anyway? I don't have LTE; I have had a dozen 3g disconnects in 9 months which seemed related to sleep under 902. But under 905, I've had a couple instances that behaved like turning data toggle off momentarily.
    By data stall I mean when the device shows a 3G/4G icons and up/down arrows light up (where applicable of course). When this happens when you have an app or device connected that shows how much data is being transferred at any given moment you see that there is none, you have a data connection but the data stalled hence the wording.

It's possible that the data stalls are actually data drops that are disguised with a lack of 3G/4G icon disappearance. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus was infamous for displaying 1 bar frequently at launch, people cried about it not having the number of bars that their previous Verizon phone had in the same areas. Verizon responded by pushing an "update" (for lack of a better word) that made the phone show more bars than it really had, and funnily enough, owners of the Galaxy Nexus aren't complaining anymore (*really?*). Having firmware that alters the bars of reception that a phone gets is a common practice among US cell carriers.

Last edited by akhi216; 06-27-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Okay, I get it. Like the iphone 4g icon, lol. But the bad part would be your icons tell you nothing about server side. So a normal user couldn't recognize a stall w/o a means to test it.

On the "bars" issue. Charles H. made an interesting post recently. On CDMA only, signal strength is sometimes irrelevant to "transmission" success. While an accurate icon (or even your dB reading) may indicate proximity, it might not mean anything else for voice or data because you have no traffic indicator. So even with a strong signal, tower may be too busy. Conversely, a weak signal may work fine. So ironically enough, the poorly calibrated icon had no meaningful consequence and neither did fixing it. (Not applicable to GSM)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I do live in an area that's a gigantic dead zone when indoor with any other carrier in my area, but I've never dropped a call or had the issues that I had with the other three major carriers i.e. calls going straight to voicemail, call drops, texts recieve as late as a day late, 2G networks, etc.. I think it safe to say that there isn't a problem with Verizon's towers in my neighborhood as I'm not experiencing any other problems.