Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk on my iphone 3g - so confused!

Feedback Score

Straight Talk on my iphone 3g - so confused!

OK, so I've been trying to find answers by reading other posts but add on all the google searches I've been reading, I am thoroughly confused.

I have an iphone 3g 4.2.1 (jailbroke with redsn0w) right now. Previously, I jailbroke with sn0wbreeze but that didn't work out. When I restored the phone to original settings, the straight talk sim worked...had bars, the word HOME and 3G shown at the top. However, I can not connect to wifi and I can't access the internet (Safari). I then jailbroke with redsn0w, as stated, thinking that would fix it. Only thing I see that was different (and good) was that I have cydia. But not a good thing, if I can't access it due to no connection.

I have tried restoring network settings, soft reset, hard reset, reboot, turning airplane mode on and then off and rebooting again. Nada.

When I try to connect to Safari or cydia, it tells me that it could not activate the cellular data network and that I'm not subscribed to such. I realize that I have to update APN settings and can do so through unlockit, but again, no connection....no changing anything.

I can make and receive phone calls and regular texts. When I look at my settings in About it shows HOME as my network but my carrier is listed as At&t...not sure whatever info you might need to help me but I would so appreciate any tips, advice, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

Feedback Score
    Try installing "Ultrasn0w" on Cydia and see if that works. The repo is - Repo666.Ultrasn0w.com

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Are you saying that your wifi doesn't work, or that you don't have any wifi at home? You have to get the unlockit through wifi since, until you get it, you can't get it through cellular data. But if you are jail broken already, I would just get tetherme from cydia and forget unlockit. If course, you have to have wifi for that as well. If you just don't have wifi at home, head to McDonald's or SAMs club parking lot or any other business that has wifi. If your wifi isn't working at all, you may be out of luck. Getting cellular won't solve your problems if wifi isn't functional since you really need to download most apps and updates over wifi, or you will quickly go over the recommended daily limits for ST data.

Feedback Score
    Home being displayed is normal. Did you check (and setup) your apn settings for straight talk ? Not sure what to suggest for wifi...

Phone
    iPhone 5 on ST
    Carrier
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Your problem with it saying "could not activate cellular data network" is because your apn settings are not set. This is an easy fix. Here, I'll hold your hand and walk you through step by step.

Since you are jailbroken, you need to go download tetherme, so that you can set your data settings. Now if you search for it in cydia, it's gonna want you to purchase it. You need to go to manage>sources>edit>add: cydia.xsellize.com

Once installed, go into the source, scroll down to the t section, and install 'tetherme'. Let this complete and exit cydia.

You now need to go to settings>general>network, and you should now see an option that says 'cellular data network's that will allow you to edit your apn settings.

Go here to straight talks website to get the settings: http://www.straighttalksim.com/support.php

Then click on 'Phone Programming', scroll down and you'll see these settings. Enter these settings exactly as you see them in the cellular data network menu of your iPhone. There will be some fields left blank like username, password, and possibly a few others. When your done go back to network, the top left button. Then click the home button. Try safari. If it doesn't work, turn the phone off then back on. If you turn the phone back on and go into safari and its still telling you 'could not activate cellular data network', then something isn't set right.

You should not install ultrasn0w through cydia if you are using straight talk (assuming you have the AT&T Sim), and chances are you don't have the supported 06.15 baseband. You can do some serious damage to your phone if you do not know what you're doing with the baseband.

And could you be more specific with the wifi problem you're having?

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more help.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket on ST using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    OK, thank you for the walk through...and perhaps I will be able to use it once I can get the wifi connected. I do have wifi at home, works on my laptop, kindle, other devices throughout. My phone will not detect any wifi connections and when I try to manually put in my info, it tells me it can't find it or something like that.

My wifi was working fine when I got my ST sim. When I got the sim, I activated it...put it in my phone, it didn't work. I tried everything, changing the APN through unlockit, cydia, etc. Anarchypunk...you say that I shouldn't use ultrasn0w with ST but I did and I remember something about the baseband and that it ultimatley, ultrasn0w didn't work as it should have. Now, I'm hoping that isn't what's wrong.

I'm wondering about that because that was about the time when the wifi stopped working but the sim wasn't working either. I was frustrated and stopped trying to get it to work and then a day or so ago, I decided to restore the iphone back to original settings..popped the sim card in and it worked, can make and receive calls, send and receive regular texts. The wifi won't work. Maybe I've destroyed that part of my phone??

I've restored and re-jailbroken it, etc. I guess I just won't be able to use the online/internet features unless there's a way to change the APN without being about to access Safari or Cydia.

Thanks to all who replied and tried to assist me. I think I will just pray over the phone..probably the best chance, at this point, to get it working LOL

Feedback Score
    OK, I also have a really stupid question, that I meant to ask in the above reply....3g and E (Edge) should I be able to get to Safari or Cydia through those? Cause if so, they don't work either to get me access.

Feedback Score
    Also, if this is helpful in giving me advice, when i switch out my ST sim for my old T-mobile sim or just leave a sim out altogether, I still can't access wifi...and I've always been able to.

Feedback Score
    Now I'm just talking to myself LOL I just had one of those lightbulb moments....perhaps this is a baseband problem. Anyone know if I can rollback the baseband? I'm not even sure this is it but it seems to be the only thing I'm left to ponder. I'm thinking, somewhere along the line my baseband was upgraded to 6.15 or whatever that number is (I read it somewhere). Is this something I can check in my settings?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahud View Post
    Now I'm just talking to myself LOL I just had one of those lightbulb moments....perhaps this is a baseband problem. Anyone know if I can rollback the baseband? I'm not even sure this is it but it seems to be the only thing I'm left to ponder. I'm thinking, somewhere along the line my baseband was upgraded to 6.15 or whatever that number is (I read it somewhere). Is this something I can check in my settings?
    Yep somebody flashed ipad baseband to unlock it! Idiots!

Best thing to do is get another phone. Your gonna continue having problems with it!

Feedback Score
    There are two thing's I think might be wrong ,,First if you installed 6.15 baseband ( used for unlocking the phone which isn't needed)but since your on that baseband YOU can "NOT" restore with stock firmware you must use custom firmware that you can make google custom F/W and 6.15 BB,,this base band has issues with loosing certain thing's like GPS but I think some one can up with a fix for it,and some wifi issue's,So start with making a custom F/W and you can D/L custom already done but I dont think it's a good idea,The wife has my old i3G on 4.2.1 and still work's great.Re install 4.2.1 J/Break it see if you can get to Cydia you can buy Tetherme it will install Cellular Data Network,I had problems with Tetherme when I did this it wasn't supported at that time.The other problem could be a bad SIM the wife had this issue when I gave her the i3g,called got a new sim phone worked fine.
    Start with googling issue's with 6,15 baseband it will explain what you have to do to make phone work,I know it drove me CRAZY for awhile,but are i3g was tuff it got wrote to with the wrong file's and it alway's came back.Check the 6.15 thing out first if that doesnt work try the sim in a friend's AT&T phone.ALSO the phone must be Activated in itunes to get cellular data,you can also try another forum that has a thread on Straighttalk and iphone and has all the file's and How to's

Phone
    iPhone 5 on ST
    Carrier
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ouch. 06.15 baseband. Like said above, you've got some serious homework to do. It is also probably going to be very hard finding a custom restore firmware file, I myself made one through pwnagetool. If you'd like, I own a cell phone shop in Illinois, if you wanted to send in the phone I'd be more than happy to fix it for you for a small fee. PM me for more information.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, I'm working on doing what you've recommended...restored back to 4.1, now my sim isn't working at all (in other words, I can't make or take calls or texts, which is how this all started) Going to see if I can kick it out of recovery using tiny umbrella. We shall see. I figure, I don't have anything to lose at this rate. I would at least like to get the phone back working. I just don't have a clue why I can't access cydia or my wifi, etc. Can't change apn settings unless I figure that out. Thanks again. I'll let you know how I make out.

Andrea

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchypunk101 View Post
    Ouch. 06.15 baseband. Like said above, you've got some serious homework to do. It is also probably going to be very hard finding a custom restore firmware file, I myself made one through pwnagetool. If you'd like, I own a cell phone shop in Illinois, if you wanted to send in the phone I'd be more than happy to fix it for you for a small fee. PM me for more information.
    Might have to take you up on that offer, if I can't get this working myself. Do you think that if you fixed it, you could also get my wifi to detect/connect, and/or my ability to access cydia? Get all working on the ST sim I have?

Phone
    iPhone 5 on ST
    Carrier
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahud View Post
    Might have to take you up on that offer, if I can't get this working myself. Do you think that if you fixed it, you could also get my wifi to detect/connect, and/or my ability to access cydia? Get all working on the ST sim I have?
    So what exactly does it say when you go into the settings menu? Does it let you view available connections and connect? Or is the signal weak? Does it say No Wi-Fi?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using HowardForums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast