Thread: Celestica to wind down manufacturing for RIM

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Celestica to wind down manufacturing for RIM

Name:  celestica.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  36.5 KB

The inevitable is starting to begin.
    As people are loosing, have lost interest in RIM's current product offerings it only makes sense that one of their manufacturing partners, Celestica, has starting winding down production on the current offerings.

The Star has an article up about this slow down of manufacturing for RIM which is what initially caught my attention.

Initially I was hit with a "well I saw that coming" mentality, but there may be a silver lining here for the BlackBerry faithful. They're winding down current production, not dissolving the partnership. They could very well be ramping up shortly for BB10 production.

What are your thoughts?

Phone
    BlackBerry Z30
    Feedback Score
    This probably has more to do with Celestica's own issues as anything else. But, many OS7 phones probably are entering EOL so manufacturing naturally needs to be wound down. Who knows? You'll get the usual anti-RIM brigade suggesting this is another nail in the coffin when in fact it seems more like a normal wind down.

Feedback Score
    No sane company wants to be owed money at any time from a company that is going down the poop shoot...

Every supplier for RIM should treat them as a chapter 11 fly by night operation... CASH AND CARRY ONLY!

Meaning if you want something you pay us cash first then we make it for you.. so when RIM tanks they can take their crapberries and make crapberry pie with it or whatever they want.

RIP RIM

Phone
    BlackBerry Z30
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AahH View Post
    No sane company wants to be owed money at any time from a company that is going down the poop shoot...

Every supplier for RIM should treat them as a chapter 11 fly by night operation... CASH AND CARRY ONLY!

Meaning if you want something you pay us cash first then we make it for you.. so when RIM tanks they can take their crapberries and make crapberry pie with it or whatever they want.

RIP RIM
    I see MENSA's out for the day.

Phones
    Zed 30, Z10, 9900, 9780, 8530, W995a, u8a, w508, w980, w380a and a few Z710s
    then: v635, F3, v360, v551, v557, v180, v300, v400, v600, v3, v3T, K1, L7, W370, Z525, N1200, P168+
    It all started with a Nokia 3360
    Carrier
    au revoir Robbers... bonjour Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

RIP RIM
    what comes to mind after reading this is:

Bath Salts.

Phones
    Current:Bold 9650
    Past:Tour 9630- Red 8330-Titanium 8330-Red 8130-
    Amethyst 8130- LG Voyager-Palm Treo 700p-Palm Treo 650
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

RIP RIM
    Lemme guess; another iPhone user? Shouldn't you be camped out waiting for the new phone release? Right now there's SIRI, for those who can't be bothered with actually learning how to use the device. What's the next big feature gonna be? Something that changes your diaper for you?
    This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.”

Loose
    not rigidly fastened or securely attached

Lose
    to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place

Also, just because a word has an "s" at the end, doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.

Phones
    RIM9790
    RIM 9790
    Motorola Q
    Carriers
    Wind
    the company formerly known as Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

I do prefer the lavender flavour... Goes well with homeless face...

This could be, as stated earler, just an eol winddown, much like the car part company ceasing production of a vehicle specific product, when the model has changed (like bumpers)...

Perhaps RIM has sourced another provider?

Let's hope so... BB10 can't come soon enough
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Blackberry Torch 9810, Blackberry Bold 9780, Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9630 Tour
    Blackberry 8130 Pearl, Blackberry 9530 Storm, Motorola V3c, Blackberry 7130e,
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility, formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score
    Considering none of the current line up of Blackberry's will support BB10, it only makes sense they'd be winding down production for that product line.

I've actually talked to someone who's had hands on experience with both the BB10 developer model PLUS another BB10 prototype model. Very impressed. However I'm not sure if RIM is just soooo late to the party, that anyone will care enough regardless of how great BB10 may actually be.
    But on the plus side, I knocked over the SunSphere.

Muh Plan:
    300 min
    U/L E&W at 6PM
    U/L Picture/Video/Text Messaging
    CDN LD @ $0.10 per min
    USA LD @ $0.20 per min
    6 GB Data
    U/L Bell to Bell Local
    $50/month with no SAF/911

The Former Abbywack-A-Mole

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Blackberry Torch 9810, Blackberry Bold 9780, Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9630 Tour
    Blackberry 8130 Pearl, Blackberry 9530 Storm, Motorola V3c, Blackberry 7130e,
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility, formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score

RIP RIM
    Considering RIM could actually buy out every existing shareholder for cash, chapter 11 might be a bit of a stretch right now.

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well RIM has roughly 2.1 Billion in ca$h at last months restructuring advisement agreement wi partners BMO & JPMorgan.

Even at current stock valuations, there are just TOO many free floating stocks/shares for them to purchase outright, not to mention that goes against many securities commission rulings & restrictions.

The KEY points of this announcement to focus on is:

1. This Celestica action does NOT happen overnight but, a progression until the end of the current quarter. (Celestica is not itself in its prime either, this could mean they don't have the resources to facilitate current demand or contractual agreement. Not to mention BB's are not ALL made in Canada & not only by Celestica. I'm fortunate enough to personally know their former CIO, EVP of technology as well - I work for the same company as they do now - Celestica almost sank not too long ago.

2. No longer manufacturing CURRENT product lineup. This could mean ordes - non public- were placed by RIM for working next gen prototype BB10 devices; doubtful yes but more logical.

RIM Still has a healthy line of credit, especially by one of their restructuring partners, BMO which right now has an exclusive inside track knowledge of what their plans are and what they can feasibly execute on.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Phones
    RIM9790
    RIM 9790
    Motorola Q
    Carriers
    Wind
    the company formerly known as Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Reading between lines here;

Pay close attention to what BMO does with its money WRT tech, and RIM...

They'll know if it smells like roses there, or if it smells like dunnage...

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    BB7 devices are not dead or EOL for RIM. While BB10 is aimed at North America and Europe, BB7 devices will continue to be produced marketed and sold in emerging markets which do not have the network infrastructure of LTE as of yet. BlackBerry's are the market leader in many of the emerging markets and these are BB7 devices.
    Phone OS's used: iOS; Android; BB 6,7,10; WP 7,7.5,8
    Current phone OS's: iPhone 5 [Sprint], Lumia 1520 [AT&T]

Phone
    BB Curve
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What I find really annoying is that my Curve 9330 is only 14 months old and won't even support OS7, let alone BB10. No way I'm going to continue supporting a company that requires buying a new device to update the OS.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Iphone 5
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ansky View Post
    What I find really annoying is that my Curve 9330 is only 14 months old and won't even support OS7, let alone BB10. No way I'm going to continue supporting a company that requires buying a new device to update the OS.
    So you plan on not having a smartphone at all or any mobile phone for that matter??

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    To err is to be human.