Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what network will my phone use if I choose straight talk?

Feedback Score

what network will my phone use if I choose straight talk?

I just bought a phone from China, quality is quite decent. It supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100.

My friends say the straight talk is not bad. But I'm not sure what network (T-mobile, ATT or Sprint?) my phone will be on. They say it depends on what kind the phone is. Can anyone advise?

I don't like the T-mobile network which sucks in my area. So if my phone is on T-mobile, I would rather choose pure talk or H20.

Thanks for help~

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The network is controlled by the SIM card, not by the phone. The phone contributes to the equation, only by supporting specific frequencies...and yours is a quad-band phone.

TMobile and ATT use SIM cards. And, StraightTalk is available for both networks.

Sprint is CDMA, like Verizon, and does not use SIM cards...so they're off the table. Neither allows BYOD.

Feedback Score
    I looked up the website of straight talk. they provide sim card options for different phones. So I need to choose AT&T compatible phones to get a AT&T Compatible SIM Card, right? or just choose unlocked GSM phone? I'm pretty sure the phone is unlocked..

Quote Originally Posted by chuckknight View Post
    The network is controlled by the SIM card, not by the phone. The phone contributes to the equation, only by supporting specific frequencies...and yours is a quad-band phone.

TMobile and ATT use SIM cards. And, StraightTalk is available for both networks.

Sprint is CDMA, like Verizon, and does not use SIM cards...so they're off the table. Neither allows BYOD.
    Last edited by heyifeifei; 06-19-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heyifeifei View Post
    So if I use straight talk, I'll be on either ATT or T-mo, right?

Sounds not good. I mean, if I happen to be on T-mo in my neighborhood, I'll definitely drop calls. Can it be swithced to be on ATT all the time?
    Upon joining Straight Talk, you'll be given an option to select either the AT&T sim card or the T-Mobile sim card. It will depend on the zip code that you enter and some areas might only have AT&T coverage.

Therefore, if you pick the AT&T sim card you'll always be on AT&T, unless you're roaming, but that shouldn't be a problem as AT&T is the largest GSM network in the United States.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    <<Achieved on "America's Most Affordable 4G Network!"

Feedback Score
    Thanks buddy.
    Then I'll go for the straight talk~

Quote Originally Posted by TheCellphoneGuy View Post
    Upon joining Straight Talk, you'll be given an option to select either the AT&T sim card or the T-Mobile sim card. It will depend on the zip code that you enter and some areas might only have AT&T coverage.

Therefore, if you pick the AT&T sim card you'll always be on AT&T, unless you're roaming, but that shouldn't be a problem as AT&T is the largest GSM network in the United States.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Phones
    SCH-S720C
    910-320-3835
    Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Samsung Galaxy Proclaim SCH-S720C only works with Verison, as long as you have good reception of Verizon in your area, the phone will work, it will not work on any other network, other than Verizon.

shortysmiles

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortysmiley View Post
    Samsung Galaxy Proclaim SCH-S720C only works with Verison, as long as you have good reception of Verizon in your area, the phone will work, it will not work on any other network, other than Verizon.

shortysmiles
    No one said anything about a Proclaim. This post is irrelevant. The OP bought a generic phone from china and is using the BYOD program. Why would you post about a Proclaim?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Your phone is almost definitely unlocked and it will work with an AT&T SIM. The only problem may be the quality of the phone. Phones from China range all the way from "barely usable if you like a lot of pain" to "as good as any other phone with the same specs".

Feedback Score
    Go check att and tmobile coverage maps and they get whatever sim it is that has better coverage where you live.

Phones
    Nexus 4 / Z Ultra
    Nexus 4
    Z Ultra
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    You gotta go w att. Your phone doesn't have TMO frequencies. Verizon and Sprint are not avail. For BYOD.

Sent from my LG-P999 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heyifeifei View Post
    I just bought a phone from China, quality is quite decent. It supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100.

My friends say the straight talk is not bad. But I'm not sure what network (T-mobile, ATT or Sprint?) my phone will be on. They say it depends on what kind the phone is. Can anyone advise?

I don't like the T-mobile network which sucks in my area. So if my phone is on T-mobile, I would rather choose pure talk or H20.

Thanks for help~

Your phone looks like ATT compatible phone. hence you can get an ATT , ST sim.

Phones
    Nexus 4 / Z Ultra
    Nexus 4
    Z Ultra
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    To clarify...You would only get edge w TMO.

Sent from my LG-P999 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, then will go with ATT st sim card.

Phones
    SCH-S720C
    910-320-3835
    Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    the way straight talk works, what ever service carrier has strong signal in your area, thats who they will hook you up with for reception, e..g., if AT &T has signal in my area, the phone will have to be a AT &T phone to work with that signal in your area through them, if Verizon has signal in your area, the you use a Verizon phone to get the signal, what I will suggestl, go to straight talk web site and put in your phone number it will like you know what carriers provide signal in your area, if have more than one carrier, you just have more choices of phones to choose from before you purchase.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    What Phone number? You mean Zip Code perhaps.
    Earl F. Parrish

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast