Thread: Straight Talk 3GS Data not working (APNs are setup)

Feedback Score

Straight Talk 3GS Data not working (APNs are setup)

I have an iPhone 3gs and an iPhone 4 that i migrated to straight talk today. Once I activated the sims and the phones began to work I set them both up with tetherme APN editing. Once I was done I rebooted the phones and only the iPhone 4 data works. Everything works on the iPhone 4, mms, data, phone. On the 3gs however ONLY making phone calls works. I checked the APN settings, reset settings, typed in again, restored iPhone in DFU mode, set up as new phone, jailbreak and update APN settings again and the 3gs still says I don't have a data plan and that I'm not connected to the internet. I also tried to use unlockit's apn settings file before I jailbroke it and data still does not work. Does anyone have some information that can help me get my 3gs going?

Both phones are updated to ios 5.1.1, jailbroken and using the latest version of tetherme. Any help is appreciated!

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk, GoPhone, Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    Wow, that's a frustrating problem. ST should work fine with the 3GS, just like the 4. If the settings in Cellular Data Network are the some on both phones, then my guess is this is a ST provisioning problem, but perhaps some of the cell phone gurus could weigh in as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thehofoguy View Post
    Wow, that's a frustrating problem. ST should work fine with the 3GS, just like the 4. If the settings in Cellular Data Network are the some on both phones, then my guess is this is a ST provisioning problem, but perhaps some of the cell phone gurus could weigh in as well.
    It is very frustrating! I have an update though.

I called ST and they referred me to apple (as if they're going to help me). So I came up with a testing method to test the iPhone 3gs. I took an old AT&T sim and cut it to make an adapter for my iPhone 4's micro sim, taped my micro sim in it, put my iPhone 4's sim in the 3gs and everything works! So, it is definitely either a problem with the sim or the provisioning. Unfortunately for me I'll have to have my wife leave her phone home tomorrow so I can call when ST is open for business.

Why is it that us regular people seem to know much more about troubleshooting than a cell phone company? I will reply back and let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Use Facebook or call the tracfone tech support. ST tech support is horrible at best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Yea try their facebook page or you can try sending a message to SaraST on the forums she is a st rep she has answered questions for me or try emailing the email that she told me to email if i have any problems, questions or concerns.

ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfarms View Post
    Yea try their facebook page or you can try sending a message to SaraST on the forums ...
    Sara StraightTalk referred me to Apple. :-(
    I called ST again today and told them it works fine with another sim card. He told me to power off then back on and now everything works.And as I'm typing this handset just received the welcome to ST text that my other handset received days ago! It definitely was their service.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    That sucks but glad you got it working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk, GoPhone, Airvoice
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb "All's well that ends well."

Quote Originally Posted by xaos1000 View Post
    Sara StraightTalk referred me to Apple. :-(
    I called ST again today and told them it works fine with another sim card. He told me to power off then back on and now everything works.And as I'm typing this handset just received the welcome to ST text that my other handset received days ago! It definitely was their service.
    Good for you!! So frustrating though. Sounds like they finally got the 3GS provisioned correctly. Seems like there are bugs/glitches in their system that need fixing!! <was that a huge, collective DUHHH I just heard? >

Phones
    iPhone 4S Verizon 16GB - mine
    iPhone 4S ATT 64GB - mine
    iPhone 4S ATT 64GB - wife's
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If anyone has an issue with this, AND they have their APN settings correctly, the issue may be that their sim needs re-provisioned. I had a friend that had this issue yesterday and after reading through a bunch of forums on the internet, I found one helpful section pointing to calling 800-876-5753 and asking nicely to re-provision the SIM. You most likely will need to follow through their brief trouble shooting process as it might be something other than the SIM needing re-provisioned. Good luck!