Thread: can't change APN

Phone
    Moto Atrix HD various ROMs
    Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Angry can't change APN

new t-mobile Prism, unlocked, month2month

no matter what I do I can't seem to change my APN - browsers keep working normally.

I tried it manually in settings / wireless & networks / Mobile networks / Access Point Names, adding a new bogus APN and then switching to it. also added one for Tuenti, but no appaerent change.

Tried apps Apn Global, Tweakker, and a few others. Apn Global says it is changing my settings to spain/Orange internet(for example, but no change. Tweakker won't let me change to another country.

From my wap days, I would assume a browser would just stop if the APN addy was wrong, but everything keeps working perfectly.

Help!

Prepping for a week in Spain with something like a Tuenti SIM.

EDIT: traceroutes look the same...

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget, "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain".

Hope you get an answer and have a good trip.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    It may be that since android 2.2, phones have not been using the APN settings, but have been using something called ""Use packet data" setting changes directly … for Android2.3 later". It may be that the APN settings are there only for those situations where the info is not in the packets. This is a May 2012 phone so it may well be that my changing of the APNs did indeed have no effect. I assume it was guided by the SIM, and then by the info it received over the air.

I think all this is resulting from the huge problem of getting a user connected to the service, even after plugging in the SIM.

The Tweakker app is a group that takes input from all carriers . But I got the start to this info from the Pakerin app.

I am still researching this.

EDIT
    3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP)
    International Mobile Telecommunications-Advanced (IMT-Advanced)
    "An IMT-Advanced system is expected to provide a comprehensive and secure all-IP based mobile broadband solution to laptop computer wireless modems, smartphones, and other mobile devices."
    "Based on an all-Internet Protocol (IP) packet switched network" (all Wikepedia)

Emphasis on IP (Internet Protocol) So the device simply wakes up, listens, and knows where it is. It doesn't have to be told (through an APN) where it is...

In "GPRS Core Network"
    "GPRS tunnelling protocol (GTP)
    Main article: GPRS tunnelling protocol

GPRS tunnelling protocol is the defining IP-based protocol of the GPRS core network. Primarily it is the protocol which allows end users of a GSM or WCDMA network to move from place to place while continuing to connect to the Internet as if from one location at the Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN). It does this by carrying the subscriber's data from the subscriber's current Serving GPRS Support Node (SGSN) to the GGSN which is handling the subscriber's session. Three forms of GTP are used by the GPRS core network." Go to the wikepedia article to read the rest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS_Core_Network
    Last edited by KrisM77; 06-24-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Now this tunneling thing points to who gets billed for what - key word "subscriber".

I assume controlled by the SIM.

So If I were to leave my T-Mobile USA SIM in my Prism and go to Spain and try to start doing things... (I suspect things might work at 2G (remember that a T-mobile phone needs both 1700 and 2100 to do 3G/4G), but at a gastly expense.
    But popping in a Tuenti (or whatever) SIM makes me a defacto subscriber of Tuenti, and apparently info in the packets allows me to do data, in addition to calls, without actually supplying a APN. or so goes the theory... Does anyone here know this for sure?

<-- this may be me at this point...

Feedback Score
    Kris, Perhaps the same situation is happening to me. Samsung Infuse 4G, just switched from ATT contract to Straight Talk. Att man gave me the 8 digit unlock code, but the screen never came up for me to enter the unlock code. The St. Talk sim card has been activated since I can make calls, and I also get web connection, but that's because I have ATT wifi in my home. Of course, have not been able to change the APN, it won't allow me to. Just wonder what will happen when I get out on the road, not that I would check my emails unless I've come to a full stop, of course.....My question is, is my phone unlocked? I don't see how that can be.

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Yours is an unlocking question, not an APN question. Your phone is not unlocked. I ordered a SimpleMobile and a H2O sim (@.99 ebay) before I remembered that I had a Sprint SIM - which I used to get the message. I also have a different T-Mobile SIM (also .99)(direct from T-Mobile). It needs to be a SIM that's foreign to (in your case) ATT. In my case, I know the T-Mobile card wouldn't do it. I don't know if either of the other 2 would have - probably not. My unlock number was 14 digits. ymmv - other than that, I know nothing...

something like
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lycamobile-p...item19d2432661
    might give you the message.