Thread: Question about Straight Talk/Verizon Androids/CDMA Workshop - Is this legal?

Feedback Score

Question about Straight Talk/Verizon Androids/CDMA Workshop - Is this legal?

Hey guys,

A short while back, I bumped into someone that I know who is in the cellular business. He is currently taking Verizon Smartphones (Androids) and through a program called CDMA Workshop, he is putting them on Straight Talk's $45 monthly plan, so these users are enjoying unlimited talk, text, and internet for $45 monthly.

He also buys phones, and even ones with ESNs marked as missing, and can get those activated on Straight Talk as well.

So, that being said, I had some questions:

1. Is this legal?
    2. Is this considered "ESN Cloning?"
    3. Will Straight Talk ever turn these off (like they used to do with random Page Plus handsets?)
    4. If it is legal, where can I buy a copy of this program? In my area, I think I could have some success with that. Or, is the program freeware?
    5. What are Verizon's and Straight Talk's position on this?

Thanks so much!

Sprintseller

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    It is ESN cloning, because in order to work the program has to mask the true ESN of the phone being used with the ESN of a donor phone that is already in Straight Talk's system, thus "cloning" the ESN. It generally is considered illegal, but it is one of those things that is not likely to become a big deal unless (like the person you are talking about) you make a business of it. You don't want to be the one that the government or the cell phone companies come after to try and make an example of.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the answer.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have used CDMA Workshop when I was with Cricket. It does have legitimate uses, since you need it to flash CDMA phones to different carriers. It's not freeware, the legal version costs $100. There are, of course, pirated versions floating around.

http://www.cdma-ware.com/workshop.html

Once the ESN is copied from the donor phone to the recipient phone, there's no way for the carrier's system to tell them apart. However, you must NEVER have the donor and the recipient on at the same time. The system can tell when there are multiple devices with the same ESN connected at the same time and will shut down your account and blacklist the ESN for cloning fraud.

I used to work for Verizon, and generally they don't care. It's not even an issue for them because most people don't know it can be done, and they wouldn't know what to do even if they did. Seriously, take a look at some of the screenshots for CDMA Workshop. Anyone but a phone geek would suffer from brain overload. Plus CDMA Workshop can permanently brick the phone if you don't know what you're doing.

Feedback Score
    Excuse me for seeming like an idiot.

I just don't understand why I can't do this simple thing I want to do.

I am a very low-demand user of any telephony. I would like to migrate to one smart phone (preferably an android principally because of its voice-recognition [please do not plug iPhones to me]) and lose my landline. However, people who come to my house consistently have problems using their cell phones inside it. However my EXTREMELY OLD (I mean ANTIQUE Audiovox GPX 9155) Verizon phone has no problems anywhere in my house.

So I see these ads for $50 "no-contract" plans and try to find android phones. Straight talk offers one (a "Samsung Galaxy Proclaim") but says it will only work in the Sprint coverage area even though it is a CDMA phone and should be able to talk to Verizon towers. Verizon offers a similar phone but won't let you use it for less than $80 a month. Why the hell do I have to pay more to make a phone call just because it's on an android phone?! It's the same damn phone call as my old phone makes! It's the same text message. So if I pay Straight Talk as an MVNO which buys services from Verizon, why can't I use this "trick" to make my phone "a Verizon phone" and when I use it, Verizon collects from Straight Talk?

Thanks for any thoughtful input.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    The verizon smartphone on ST currently is the proclaim. There is rumor of another verizon smartphone in the near future. No trick needed just order one from walmart.com and impress friends with how well your phone works all around the home. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmkhf View Post
    Excuse me for seeming like an idiot.

I just don't understand why I can't do this simple thing I want to do.

I am a very low-demand user of any telephony. I would like to migrate to one smart phone (preferably an android principally because of its voice-recognition [please do not plug iPhones to me]) and lose my landline. However, people who come to my house consistently have problems using their cell phones inside it. However my EXTREMELY OLD (I mean ANTIQUE Audiovox GPX 9155) Verizon phone has no problems anywhere in my house.

So I see these ads for $50 "no-contract" plans and try to find android phones. Straight talk offers one (a "Samsung Galaxy Proclaim") but says it will only work in the Sprint coverage area even though it is a CDMA phone and should be able to talk to Verizon towers. Verizon offers a similar phone but won't let you use it for less than $80 a month. Why the hell do I have to pay more to make a phone call just because it's on an android phone?! It's the same damn phone call as my old phone makes! It's the same text message. So if I pay Straight Talk as an MVNO which buys services from Verizon, why can't I use this "trick" to make my phone "a Verizon phone" and when I use it, Verizon collects from Straight Talk?

Thanks for any thoughtful input.
    So why don't you sign up for pageplus. They are verizon prepaid and offer what you need. You can also bring most verizon smartphones to them too. All legal and acceptable.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmkhf View Post
    Why the hell do I have to pay more to make a phone call just because it's on an android phone?! It's the same damn phone call as my old phone makes! It's the same text message.
    But, whether you make use of the feature or not, it's capable of data, and you pay for that.

Why should I pay more for a Porsche than I do for a Honda if I'm only going to drive it 30 mph? Same question.

Feedback Score
    . Thank you all very much for your responses.

alphamale-b:

I have been told by multiple sources, including ST's own website, that an android phone under their service will only function in Sprint's coverage areas. Therefore, the conservative assumption is that it will only talk to Sprint towers and people whose phones run on those cannot talk in my house. Therefore, I am not really up for taking the chance. But thanks.

Cuser, MY HERO!:

Somehow or another, I managed to miss PagePlus in my numerous searches. They offer exactly the plan I want and confirm transferring Verizon phones. If I could figure out how to plant a sloppy wet one on you, I would. Just wish I knew how I could have screwed up so badly that I missed them.

W2PMX:

Your analogy is flawed. If I had a small penis and needed a Porsche, I would not expect to be written the speeding ticket just because my car could go 150 mph. Whether I bought one of those or a clunker, I should pay the same price on the turnpike so long as I drove it like every other car and stayed out of HOV lanes. I should not be charged more for the gas I put in it. Etc. As I stated, the reason I want a smart phone has nothing to do with data, but only the ability to use voice recognition, which is very important for someone like me with limited hand function. But thanks for playing anyway…
    Last edited by jmkhf; 07-03-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    The CDMA Android phones that were first introduced by ST were Sprint phones. This was a bad marketing move for ST, because now people think all their Android phones are Sprint phones and suck.

The ST Galaxy Proclaim is a Verizon phone. Verizon's Avail is the same phone.

I haven't seen anything on ST website that said the Proclaim was Sprint. The Precedent, Optimus Q and Optimus Black are Sprint phones. The Proclaim did show up on the site in our zip last month, currently is does not. Matter of fact it does not show up with all the other CDMA phones when searching only the CO market.

But the people at ST don't know what is going on. I was told on a training webinar that all current Android phones at ST were Sprint phones. One week later I get in the store to do the job and the pegs are full of the ZTE Merit which is a ST Android phone that uses At&t. So the phone has been out long enough for all the Walmarts to have them in stock, but the people at ST did not know about it.

At&t Go Phone is the only one left that gives you the option of paying for data when you use a smartphone. They do not allow the pay per use with smartphones anymore. If you want data you must buy a data package, but they don't force you to buy the data package if you don't want it just because you use a smartphone.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Spend a little more time in the neighborhood here before making too many overt pronouncements. It is common knowledge here that the Proclaim is serviced by Verizon Wireless. At least a couple of months now.

And as far as what things should cost, well, we're dealing with a ripoff industry serving a buying public that is powerless/largely clueless to do anything about it, except to continue extolling the virtues of the free market.