Thread: G'zOne Type V Software Update

Feedback Score

G'zOne Type V Software Update

Hello,

I am looking for the software updates for a 2008 Casio G'zOne Type V cell phone.
    I have read this old thread *howardforums.com/showthread.php/1527324-G-zOne-Type-V-Software-Update* which was somewhat helpful but does not provide solution.

The phone currently has V9200M11 software version. I would like to try V9200M14 and V9200M16 if I could ever find them. The reception bars have gotten progressively less and less over the last year or two.

I have been to 5 Verizon stores and called Verizon customer service which resulted in a number of responses i.e. "that update will take a few hours", "wow! hey Charlie, get load of this old phone! oh man, no we don't have software updates for anything THAT old", "Verizon no longer supplies updates for that phone" "you need to call Casio to get the software update" etc. etc.

I called Casio's "Mobile Phone support" at 1-800-229-1235
    which curtly told me "We are not Casio, we do not have software updates, you need to call Verizon for that"
    I called Casio's Technical support at 1-800-435-7732 which directed me to the "Mobile Phone support" at 1-800-229-1235 and also says "you need to go to Verizon for software updates"

round and round and round...
    This post here will be my last attempt to find the software updates V9200M14 and V9200M16... the G'zOne Type V is designed to be indestructible and last for at least a decade but somehow this fact escapes Verizon and Casio (and the cell phone industry) who are apparently in the business of planned obsolescence.
    Any help here will be much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Sorry about your luck. But don't be mad at Verizon. They are responsible for providing voice/text/data, not software updates for older handsets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesstarks15 View Post
    Sorry about your luck. But don't be mad at Verizon. They are responsible for providing voice/text/data, not software updates for older handsets.
    Why is Verizon not responsible for software updates for older Casio phones while they are still doing plenty of business with Casio currently?
    Why make a phone designed to last at least a decade only to wimp out on software updates 3-4 years after it's inception?
    How much does Verizon pay to be their sycophant?

Phones
    Droid Bionic
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    IPhone 4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My dad has one of these phones too, great to know how casio/vzw treats their customers with these devices. I have not seen an update for his phone either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by casio phone View Post
    Why is Verizon not responsible for software updates for older Casio phones while they are still doing plenty of business with Casio currently?
    Why make a phone designed to last at least a decade only to wimp out on software updates 3-4 years after it's inception?
    How much does Verizon pay to be their sycophant?
    Verizon has a responsibility, like any publically traded company, to their shareholders. Do shareholders benefit more from them rolling out software updates or from customers giving up and upgrading their device with a two year agreement? You have every right to voice your displeasure, but Verizon has to weigh their options. Obviously they have made their choice, and best of luck with yours.

Feedback Score
    I bought my computer from Best Buy, and have my internet connection through a local cable company. Should I rely on either one of them for software upgrades?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesstarks15 View Post
    Verizon has a responsibility, like any publically traded company, to their shareholders. Do shareholders benefit more from them rolling out software updates or from customers giving up and upgrading their device with a two year agreement? You have every right to voice your displeasure, but Verizon has to weigh their options. Obviously they have made their choice, and best of luck with yours.
    So screwing loyal customers to make even more obscene amounts of money is Verizon's business plan... okay got it.
    Thank you for being a good little consumer who enjoys bending over to keep those precious shareholders happy. How much stock do you own btw?

Feedback Score
    Good to know.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Casio, if you have truly been a loyal customer, this situation shouldn't come as a surprise to you. Practices similar to this (VZW trying to maximize profits) have been happening for quite some time. You mad bro?

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Samsung u370; Casio Ravine 2
    ;; broken: LG VX8700 (blank screen) and Motorola E815 (broken hinge)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    To the original poster:

I have a suggestion that I hope will pan out for you.

I don't know for how many of the different models of Gzone phone series that this has been the case, but for the current model of Casio Gzone there is a company called PCD that provides the customer support. They also provide the customer support for (all ?) the models of Pantech phones.

After reading the "About Us" link (below), I feel a little more sure that they provided customer support back when the Type V was sold. The About Us link mentions that PCD's previous name was UTStarcom which is a name that I think I remember being associated with the Type V model.

Furthermore, I'm disappointed that Casio gave you the run around considering that Casio's website says that PCD provides the customer support for Gzone phones. I guess the particular individuals you were dealing with at Casio were uninformed/poorly informed.

Last comment. Perhaps you could ask a moderator to move this thread/discussion to the subforum for Verizon's non-smartphones because that's where the Gzone series gurus (used to) hang out. If any of them still read that subforum, I know that one of them will be glad to offer any help. In other words, I'm saying that maybe it's more likely that one of them will notice your question if it's over there rather than over here.

http://www.pcdphones.com/our-devices...rizon-wireless

http://handsets.custhelp.com/

http://pcdphones.com/about-us/history

http://www.casiogzone.com/ (at the bottom of the screen, click on 'Support' which directs you to this link below)

http://nec-casio-mobile.com/support/

http://nec-casio-mobile.com/support/contact.html (at the bottom of the screen, the website explains that PCD provides the customer support for U.S. and Canadian customers)

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...Feature-Phones
    (1) "Tutorial: Making Album Art Work (Most LG phones)" (link)
    (2) "MP3's ! They are RINGTONES / A Quick howto using Audacity" (link)

Carrier
    page plus
    Feedback Score
    I had the same issue with the phone I did the * 228 up date and the phone went down hill from there I called vzw @ 611 and complained that the phone got worse in service they said they couldnt help be cause the phone was to old .the end results was they replaced the phone for free the the boulder with no catches. just had to send the type v back to them . this was last year 2011.