Thread: HTC Droid Incredible - Verizon Signal Strength Issues

Feedback Score

HTC Droid Incredible - Verizon Signal Strength Issues

I have the phone named. Has a clean ESN with Verizon. I plan to port it to P+, but I am discovering the signal strength is horrible. I upgraded the radio to 2.15.10.07.07 - still no improvement. With a Pantech Breakout I have 2 bars inside; Incredible none and the roaming triangle. I can get two if I am under a tower. Any ideas before I return the phone? Would activation magically improve the reception?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Last 5: HTC Thunderbolt
    Motorola Droid, BB Tour, BB Storm, BB Pearl
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    More bars doesn't necessarily mean better reception. The dB per bar is not the same across different manufacturers.

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSxit View Post
    More bars doesn't necessarily mean better reception. The dB per bar is not the same across different manufacturers.
    +1. Bars are a meaningless, non-comparable expression of signal strength where the mapping between signal strength and bars varies between software releases on a given device, let along across different manufacturers. And furthermore, signal strength is a very poor indicator of the ability to handle a call on networks that put multiple sessions on the same frequency at the same time, as is the case for the technology Verizon uses. If you have a strong signal (lots of bars), but the channel is very busy, you can be out of luck, but on a quiet cell site, you may need almost no signal.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    And furthermore, signal strength is a very poor indicator of the ability to handle a call on networks that put multiple sessions on the same frequency at the same time, as is the case for the technology Verizon uses. If you have a strong signal (lots of bars), but the channel is very busy, you can be out of luck, but on a quiet cell site, you may need almost no signal.
    Thanks, Charles. Your post should be a sticky. Would the same reasoning apply to data? If you can, reply in respect to 1x, EVDO, and LTE.

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Thanks, Charles. Your post should be a sticky. Would the same reasoning apply to data? If you can, reply in respect to 1x, EVDO, and LTE.
    The shared-channel issue definitely applies to systems that use a CDMA air interface, like 1xRTT or EV-DO, whether you are talking about voice or data. I am not entirely clear if LTE is in the same category, but I think it is. I think that LTE comes in both a code-division and time-division flavor, and Verizon uses the code-division flavor. Time division is where each session gets a slot of time for itself. Code division (the CD in CDMA) uses hairy signal processing to sort out multiple (the M in CDMA) signals on the same frequency at the same time.

Feedback Score
    +1. Bars are a meaningless, non-comparable expression of signal strength where the mapping between signal strength and bars varies between software releases on a given device, let along across different manufacturers. And furthermore, signal strength is a very poor indicator of the ability to handle a call on networks that put multiple sessions on the same frequency at the same time, as is the case for the technology Verizon uses. If you have a strong signal (lots of bars), but the channel is very busy, you can be out of luck, but on a quiet cell site, you may need almost no signal.
    Thanks. Very informative. But does nothing to resolve a roaming issue with Verizon coverage. If I turn roaming off, I have no coverage with the HTC phone; not so with Pantech. What I do not want to do is port a number to find out I will only have roaming with the Incredible. At least to me, this points to a hardware issue.

Feedback Score
    Here are the debug Rx engineering results:
    Rx Power: -99 to -102dbm
    Rx Ec/Io: - 6.5 to -12.5 db
    Rx FER: 0%

Phone
    iPhone 5 32GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afnospam View Post
    I have the phone named. Has a clean ESN with Verizon. I plan to port it to P+, but I am discovering the signal strength is horrible. I upgraded the radio to 2.15.10.07.07 - still no improvement. With a Pantech Breakout I have 2 bars inside; Incredible none and the roaming triangle. I can get two if I am under a tower. Any ideas before I return the phone? Would activation magically improve the reception?
    It's more of a HTC issue I always had/have bad signal and it constantly goes from full to no service, I have had them on Verizon and T-Mobile.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think jarrodpd is right, I remember there were a lot negative reviews of the Incredible & Incredible 2 due to bad signal strength. A friend of mine had an Incredible and he could not even get a signal at my house which is in a fringe coverage area. However the Motorola's and even Samsung's we've owned over the years could all get a signal and most of them would hardly ever drop a call. LG's were a different story, we could make calls but the calls would frequently drop.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The shared-channel issue definitely applies to systems that use a CDMA air interface, like 1xRTT or EV-DO, whether you are talking about voice or data. I am not entirely clear if LTE is in the same category, but I think it is. I think that LTE comes in both a code-division and time-division flavor, and Verizon uses the code-division flavor.
    So with EVDO at least, one can have a strong signal and good or poor speed and likewise for a weak signal? Assuming the traffic is quiet (or rather, constant), does better signal correlate with better speed?
    Last edited by Steveanderson13; 06-26-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    Here are the debug Rx engineering results:
    Rx Power: -99 to -102dbm
    Rx Ec/Io: - 6.5 to -12.5 db
    Rx FER: 0%
    OK, now this is getting interesting. Checked *#*#4636#*#* to make sure CDMA was default. Check. *228, option 1, reboot. *228, option 2, reboot. No more roaming. ##33284 (##DEBUG) and select 1x Engineering. Rx levels changed:
    Power: -100 to -102dbm
    Ec/Io: -11.5 to -12.5 db
    FER: 2.23%

Roaming gone (but no bars). Able to set to home only and still have dial tones to Verizon.

So, me thinks there is a software issue. Question is, has it been fixed further. I'll install 2.15.00.08.08 and report back. Been at this too long tonight. But good news is incremental progress.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Good luck and sorry for thread jacking

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The shared-channel issue definitely applies to systems that use a CDMA air interface, like 1xRTT or EV-DO, whether you are talking about voice or data. I am not entirely clear if LTE is in the same category, but I think it is. I think that LTE comes in both a code-division and time-division flavor, and Verizon uses the code-division flavor. Time division is where each session gets a slot of time for itself. Code division (the CD in CDMA) uses hairy signal processing to sort out multiple (the M in CDMA) signals on the same frequency at the same time.
    LTE is Frequency Division on the lower band classes - Verizon & AT&T (and Sprint, they're live in 1 city now I believe) are FDD... and Time Division on the higher band classes - Clearwire will be TDD.

Feedback Score
    OK, now this is getting interesting. Checked *#*#4636#*#* to make sure CDMA was default. Check. *228, option 1, reboot. *228, option 2, reboot. No more roaming. ##33284 (##DEBUG) and select 1x Engineering. Rx levels changed:
    Power: -100 to -102dbm
    Ec/Io: -11.5 to -12.5 db
    FER: 2.23%

Roaming gone (but no bars). Able to set to home only and still have dial tones to Verizon.

So, me thinks there is a software issue. Question is, has it been fixed further. I'll install 2.15.00.08.08 and report back. Been at this too long tonight. But good news is incremental progress.
    Kind of a happy ending. For some odd reason, baseband 08 will not install. But I did install OpenSignalMaps and have confirmed that I am only connecting to Verizon towers with between 20-35% levels, but oddly I have a lot of bounce between towers with steady -101dbm. I know that -90dbm is just about the threshold for consistent reception, and the HTC is not cutting it. So good I found out before porting the phone. And just super advise from you all to watch the signal strength, not bars.