Thread: Google Nexus unlocked as hotspot on Tmobile / Walmart $30 plan ?

Feedback Score

Google Nexus unlocked as hotspot on Tmobile / Walmart $30 plan ?

I would like some re-assurance that i understand correctly...

I currently have Walmart / Tmobile $30 plan with unlimited text, 100 minutes voice, and 5GB of data. (currently using on an iPhone but disappointed with Edge speeds)

My goal is to get a phone to use as a hotspot (hopefully without rooting) so that i can view some websites while mobile, and more importantly, allow my kids to use their tablets, utilizing the phone's hotspot feature, while traveling in the car.

As using the phone as a hotspot is not technically supported, will i have any problems since this phone would be purchased directly from Google and therefore not have any tethering manager or software loaded. As i see it, Tmobile will only see the data coming into/from the phone, and therefore won't know what happens thereafter.

Has anyone reported any problems tethering with the walmart $30 plan with non-Tmobile devices? Any flaw in my assessment above?

Thank you.

Phones
    nexus 4
    NEXUS 4 / N900
    xperia pro mk16i silver & mk16a black
    Carriers
    T-MOBILE USA
    GLOBE
    Feedback Score
    it should work without any problem.

i have an old total internet add-on and it's working fine on my non t-mo devices for years. i enjoyed 2g/3g speeds and tethering without any qualms. i just recently discovered that my plan isn't compatible when i got a one s at the buy & sell section of this forum. I just went back to my old phone for now because of this.

You're probably right that they can monitor download and upload but cannot sense if things run in their terms if the device is not t-mo branded. Must've put something in the software...

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Ion AWS HSPA + LTE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Mine works fine with grandfathered EM 3 in 1 plan though I use it as quickie (I have webconnect already).

Feedback Score
    Great thanks for the replies thus far... if anyone has any other thoughts, confirmations, comments feel free to jump in.

Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    I am not sure on the Galaxy Nexxus since it's coming from Google. Tmobile is blocking thethering on newer phones they sell. You need to root to get around it. For your usage model, I got a Comet which supports tethering out of the box.

Phone
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Quote Originally Posted by Chop-Chop
    I am not sure on the Galaxy Nexxus since it's coming from Google. Tmobile is blocking thethering on newer phones they sell. You need to root to get around it. For your usage model, I got a Comet which supports tethering out of the box.
    GNex does not have ANY branding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    Which should allow for tether 'out of the box', correct?

Thanks in advance.

Phones
    6682, 6030, 6061
    6230b, v635, 3120b, 3650
    3100b, v3, v620, v400, x426, cf62t, t226, 3590, 3595, 6010, v66, v2282
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    there's still potential to get the upsell from what I understand. It's just not immediate. I haven't seen it personally, but I haven't had much of a need to tether much at all since I've switched back to TMO.
    V 4.62.0
    28-10-05
    RM-58
    Nokia 6682

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by here_gone

Thanks in advance.
    I don't know why, but it works for me perhaps I have been with T-Mobile 9 years.

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by here_gone

Thanks in advance.
    I don't know why, but it works for me perhaps I have been with T-Mobile 9 years.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, it works.

I have a Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile Monthly4G. The phone allows you to tether out of the box. T-Mobile does not block it. It's one of the main reasons why I use T-Mobile.

Just keep in mind that, at least for ICS (Android 4.0.4) on this device, if you do hotspot tethering, you can only connect one client at a time.