Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I use a SIM card from a tablet on a data plan in a smartphone?

Feedback Score

Can I use a SIM card from a tablet on a data plan in a smartphone?

The title expresses my basic question. If I had a tablet that was on a Verizon data plan, could I take the SIM card from it and put it in a smartphone (that had the same size SIM) and use that smartphone on the data plan of the tablet? I understand that I probably won't get the basic phone calls and texting capabilities.

My other question is do you think the following scenario will work, or is there a better way to get a data only plan for a smartphone on Verizon?

Go to Verizon store and purchase a tablet on a data plan. Purchase a Verizon smartphone off of eBay that matches the SIM size of the tablet. Swap the SIM card. Sell tablet on eBay. Set up smartphone with Google voice.

I have found multiple cases of people taking their smartphone SIM card and putting it in a Tablet to use the data on the smartphone plan. But I've never heard of someone doing it the other way. If I put the tablet SIM in the smartphone will I be able to pay by the minute for calls or will I be forced to a VOIP service?

What I really want to do is get on their shared everything plan with me and my wife and have 2 smartphones on their 6G tablet plan for $60. Which is way better than the $150+ we would pay for the regular smartphone plan.

Is it possible to buy a SIM card from them or ebay and have it activated as a tablet and then stick it in a smartphone? Could I just go in there and say, "I forgot my tablet at home and I need a new SIM card activated on a new plan." Then take it home and put it in myself?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Phones
    iPhone 5, Iridium 9555
    iPhone 5S 64GB Gold Verizon
    Iridium 9555
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, you can. Example is iPad sim in Droid Maxx. I find it better the other way around, however. For example, unlimited data sim from Thunderbolt in iPad. But I do understand where you are coming from.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply, t6821hn.

Do you know what the best way to get the data only SIM would be? I don't actually want a tablet. I just want the phone on a data only plan.

Could I walk into the Verizon store, tell them that I need 2 new SIM cards for my new tablets that I bought online and ask them to activate them for me on their Shared Everything plan then go home and put those SIM cards into 2 smartphones and they will work on the data only plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nsackman22 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, t6821hn.

Do you know what the best way to get the data only SIM would be? I don't actually want a tablet. I just want the phone on a data only plan.

Could I walk into the Verizon store, tell them that I need 2 new SIM cards for my new tablets that I bought online and ask them to activate them for me on their Shared Everything plan then go home and put those SIM cards into 2 smartphones and they will work on the data only plan?

They will say "sure, we can activate those Sims for you, we just need the IMEl of the devices you purchased. "

The Sim cards have to activate through some sort of device, so you will need to provide an IMEl. Buy a couple of used xyboards or galaxytab 10.1s to get the couple micro Sims. Then resell them with the buyer understanding they are wifi only tablets at that point. Best of luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using HowardForums

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t6821hn View Post
    Yes, you can. Example is iPad sim in Droid Maxx.
    When you go online with My Verizon, what device does it show activated? The iPad or the Droid Maxx?

I thought Verizon could "read" the IMEI from the device the sim is in, and from that tell what type of device you have. And from that, have the option to charge you appropriately ($10 for tablet, $40 for smartphone).

Phones
    iPhone 5, Iridium 9555
    iPhone 5S 64GB Gold Verizon
    Iridium 9555
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    When you go online with My Verizon, what device does it show activated? The iPad or the Droid Maxx?

I thought Verizon could "read" the IMEI from the device the sim is in, and from that tell what type of device you have. And from that, have the option to charge you appropriately ($10 for tablet, $40 for smartphone).
    The correct device is shown. In this case the iPad is displayed, however, the pricing plan defers back to the original device activated in accordance with Verizon's policy. You can find the policy under sim card FAQ.

For this reason, some users are enjoying unlimited data on their respective tablets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesstarks15 View Post
    They will say "sure, we can activate those Sims for you, we just need the IMEl of the devices you purchased. "

The Sim cards have to activate through some sort of device, so you will need to provide an IMEl. Buy a couple of used xyboards or galaxytab 10.1s to get the couple micro Sims. Then resell them with the buyer understanding they are wifi only tablets at that point. Best of luck.

So if I were to do that and sell them to someone and they found out they weren't "wifi only" and set them up on a verizon plan, would that completely screw me over?

Feedback Score
    So if I were to do that and sell them to someone and they found out they weren't "wifi only" and set them up on a verizon plan, would that completely screw me over?
    They wont be able to be activated. The IMEIs will still be linked to your account. I believe the term for them is "mule" devices, meaning that they lock down the rate plan but are stuck to your account unless you change to different devices on your lines of service.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help. I'm now trying to find the best way about purchasing a tablet, activating a data plan, reselling the tablet, and purchasing the smartphone. If you have any tips on this, let me know.

Feedback Score
    Just make sure the SIM sizes are the same for your tablets as they need to be for your intended smartphone purchases. Micros are the smaller ones, minis are the larger ones found in many original vzw 4g phones.

Feedback Score
    According to a youtube video I found the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 for verizon has a microSIM. The smartphone I'm interested in is the Galaxy Nexus, which I believe also has a microSIM, from what I can find online anyways.

Feedback Score
    According to a youtube video I found the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 for verizon has a microSIM. The smartphone I'm interested in is the Galaxy Nexus, which I believe also has a microSIM, from what I can find online anyways.
    Correct. Both devices use micro SIMs.

Feedback Score
    I'm interested in this approach as well -
    nsackman22: can you update us as to how the experiment has gone?
    I did see on another forum someone suggesting you could also activiate a 4G Sim card using a usb modem or hotspot, rather than buying a tablet. Anyone have any comments on that approach?

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Yes. U can use any Verizon lte sum anyway u want. I put my lte sum from my galaxy nexus permanently into my Verizon lte iPad. Verizon cannot block you from doing this as part of their FCC agreement for spectrum for lte devices.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Feedback Score
    The Share Everything plans require a device ID to be entered along with the SIM to do anything. Can't activate a line without a device ID so it knows what price to charge for the "line". I know there are also line level features that can change depending what kind of device the SIM is in. I'm wondering if the system has been set to change that "charge" feature according to the device it's in. I haven't tested it tough and it very well may not. Honestly phones aren't even compatible with the data only plans so not sure how it would change that charge because a phone normally wouldn't apply.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast