Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Excess usage warning -- Samsung Proclaim

Feedback Score

Excess usage warning -- Samsung Proclaim

I just picked up a Samsung Proclaim, phone seems to be working good but I went to download some apps, then a little bit ago I checked my data usage on 3g watchdog and discovered I had used 146.11MB of data for the day. I forgot to turn 3g off and my phone was using 3g instead of wifi.

I'm worried because I ported my number and know I'm going to regret it. What they told me at Walmart, Verizon is being real a-holes about it and cutting off customers after just 100MB per day. What the guy said they are telling everyone to do is leave data turned off unless there was no other choice and it was absolutely necessary to use it. The really bad part is we don't really know how much is too much so the plan was just don't use 3g at all.

This evening I missed 5 calls, each from different phone numbers and none of them are familiar. None of these numbers left a message. So now how does ST warn about excessive usage? Do the call? Text? Email? If the call, do they leave a message if no answer? If I don't answer their call will my service be cut off? It sounds like Walmart will soon discontinue the proclaim due to customers being cut off after only small amounts of usage. The guy said they started with a large inventory are now at 20% with no new inventory coming in. He said the Proclaim was the best seller in the area even out selling contract plans, but now a large number of pissed off customers are returning after only a short time of use. He said the local store has become concerned about the large number of angry customers they can't refund money on. My fist thought was just plain don't use data, avoid it at all costs and you'll be fine. Now I realised data can be used by accident and can't just be disabled on your account.

So then how does ST send out warnings for excess usage? Also, does anyone know, I forgot to ask, do I port out my number before attempting to return a phone to walmart or do I leave it activated with my number? Would they refund my money for the phone or make me exchange it on a different phone? Or is it too late once you get a warning from ST?

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptalk1 View Post
    Also, does anyone know, I forgot to ask, do I port out my number before attempting to return a phone to walmart or do I leave it activated with my number? Would they refund my money for the phone or make me exchange it on a different phone? Or is it too late once you get a warning from ST?
    You have to port out before your account is deactivated. In the case of returning the phone to Walmart, that will deactivate your phone. Walmart is generally pretty good about returns so long as you have the receipt and box and are within the return period. The worst thing that can happen is you'll have to wait while they call someone up from the electronics department (who is only slightly more technically proficient than the cashiers working the return desk) to match the serial number on the back of your phone with the one on the receipt and the box (yes, it's a hilarious thing to witness).

Feedback Score
    One of my biggest issues with ST, it's a Walmart exclusive. I go into Walmart and this kid is watching the store playing angry birds on a phone almost completely blowing off customers walking in. Someone had a question for him and all he wanted to do was show the phone he was playing on. About 5 minutes later an employee comes in and this girl was waiting because she wanted to change plans on a Verizon prepaid - something I've done before online in just a few minutes, now 2 other employees come in and all 3 are looking at the phone going through the menu and 10 minutes later they act like they still have no clue. The whole time I'm thinking "are you kidding?" Three people trying to figure out a phone menu, REALLY? Three people working the wireless center, one count them (1) customer and they tell me if I want to buy the Proclaim I should take it upfront to the registers because they are busy. I decided it was worth the drive to a different Walmart.

Feedback Score
    Ergo, the complaints about the CSR are not just limited to ST, but are systemic to the whole notion of "Always Low Prices" (Walmart Motto). Like using Linux, there is still a DIY aspect to using an MVNO.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    So the whole 4 gigs of data allotment was in someones dream. That is a good move don't sell something that makes customers angry. Now for all the owners. Can others confirm this? or was the walmart department manager a att fan?
    Last edited by alphamale-b; 06-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Feedback Score
    As far as data limits go, nobody knows and even ST CS dances around and won't answer the question. Someone thought 2GB then someone else said they let you have 2.5GB but then someone heard 4GB. A WalMart wireless center employee told me one of his customers was shut off for using 100MB/day but well under 1GB for the month. The only real answer is just keep using data UNTIL you get a warning.

What they said is I would get a warning for excessive usage but they didn't say how, text, phone call, email, if they call and leave a message if no answer..... If they call and I'm not here to answer will I get shut off?

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Many of the posts I read seem to indicate no message was left. An 800# appears and curiosity drives them to check the 800# out and they are soon discussing data usage with ST.

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Stick with the quasi official limits we've all come to know from this forum 100mb a day, roughly 2gb a month total.

You could download one of the many apps to track your data useage. If you get called again, go back and look over the period at your data use. See if you can figure out where the breaking point might be. If you do this and others, we can always get a better idea and understanding of what these limits are.

Feedback Score
    Should have set the 3g watchdog app to notify you when you reach 90/mb per day :P

Feedback Score
    Had a PM from a ST rep, guess they do have someone reading these forums. It appears ST doesn't really meter data on the unlimited plan, however if you appear to be using excessive data, putting a strain on the system or otherwise appear to be abusing the privilege of having unlimited data, your account is flagged and watched closely.

Don't quote me on this, but according to the PM, watching a few YouTube a day would be fine, just don't tether or try to use your phone as a mifi hotspot and you should be fine. Mostly what they are concerned with is that the data is consumed by the device itself and not an external source. My guess is something like netflix would use too much data too rapidly and get you flagged.

To say something like over 100MB/day or 2GB/mo. would get you a warning is a hard cap which ST doesn't have, they really aren't worried someone might use 110MB on one day. However, if you try to see how much data you can use, you would then run the risk of having your account flagged and a soft cap being placed on it. Something I never really thought about, if someone says their account was shut off after only 3 days of use and ST took their number and kept the remaining funds on the account, this information is a useless rant unless they are willing to HONESTLY tell the whole story including the most important information, what they were doing with their service.

It does appear ST reps are at least reading these threads and they are working on answers to some of the user's questions. They won't post were everyone can read it so some may not even know they are there, but they will send a PM.

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    The not posting where everyone can read is a problem for me. I post where everyone can read and you do also and ST needs to HONESTLY tell their story.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    The not posting where everyone can read is a problem for me. I post where everyone can read and you do also and ST needs to HONESTLY tell their story.
    I agree with you that ST needs to be forthcoming and upfront. However, this should be done by corporate, not a CS rep. Even a very intelligent rep shouldn't speak for the whole company on issues like we are trying to pin down. And we all know that many of their reps aren't the brightest of the crop. After all, if they hired the brightest in the world, they wouldn't be able to sell us service for $45 a month. I want answers like everyone else, but not answers from someone who isn't authorized to speak for the company. Then you just end up with information that leads you astray.

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    I agree with you that ST needs to be forthcoming and upfront. However, this should be done by corporate, not a CS rep. Even a very intelligent rep shouldn't speak for the whole company on issues like we are trying to pin down. And we all know that many of their reps aren't the brightest of the crop. After all, if they hired the brightest in the world, they wouldn't be able to sell us service for $45 a month. I want answers like everyone else, but not answers from someone who isn't authorized to speak for the company. Then you just end up with information that leads you astray.

I was directing it at shoptalk1 who was spewing what the ST rep whispered in his ear. I know its a corporate issue. I think my comment speaks directly to ST. I am a customer of ST. We know the problem is the speaking is one way. Us to them.

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Hey Shoptalk1, why don't you post the PM for us?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    The ST Corp people have been spewing the same old script for a very long time. Granted it changes a little bit in wording, its all the same. Like this one from almost a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shoptalk1 View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but according to the PM, watching a few YouTube a day would be fine, just don't tether or try to use your phone as a mifi hotspot and you should be fine. Mostly what they are concerned with is that the data is consumed by the device itself and not an external source. My guess is something like netflix would use too much data too rapidly and get you flagged
    This whole tethering, YouTube, streaming video, etc is not allowed is just utter crap. Let me re-iterate again, those activities tend to use a lot of bandwidth and thats why they dont "allow" it. You can most certainly watch 10 minutes of YouTube a day on your Android/iPhone without any issues. At 10 minutes of YouTube (non HD), your probably looking at 20MB of data usage. If your going to be doing these activities, just make sure you use it sparingly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast