Thread: Huge jump in data usage?

Feedback Score

Huge jump in data usage?

Has anyone else seen their data usage jump dramatically over the past 4-5 weeks? In my last billing period I went over 6gb, which has only happened once before. My usage habits haven't changed.

What's more, I'm only a week into my new billing period and Fido's system claims I've already used 1.3gb.

I plan to contact Fido but wanted to see of this was more widespread or just me.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Hey hi there! I'm Eric from Fido's Social Media. Please note that the view usage tool takes up to 3days to reset after the billing cycle ends. Also if you use tethering this can dramatically increase data usage specially used from a computer. Same thing goes for video and audio streaming. From what you are reporting it might be software related. I'd be happy to help if you could provide me with a few info:
    Handset model used
    Is it from Fido?
    Operating system version used

I'll be waiting for your answer.
    Eric Fido Social Media Team Agent/ Agent Fido Groupe Réseaux Sociaux
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/fidomobile
    Twitter: @Fidoeric

Feedback Score
    Try using a apps such as DataMan (iphone), OnavoCount, or MyDataManager (Android) to track your usage in real time and see which apps/activities on your phone are consuming how much data.
    DL'ing updates for your apps can use a lot of data, try to use wifi connections when updating

There are apps, like OnavoExtend, that compress your data like RIM Servers do for BBs so you get more mileage out of your data plan

Feedback Score
    Last month my father in law was inexplicably over his data allowance by several GB and was billed about $200. Since then, he has been on the phone and in store with FIDO several times to resolve the issue and hasn't gotten a straight answer from anyone. Their standard response is 'well there's an app on your phone that is using the data'.

He had a FIDO employee check his phone in store to make sure his settings were okay (tethering off, WIFI on, GPS off, etc.). When that didn't fix it he went back and they went through all his apps together and he uninstalled everything other than the default ones that come with the phone like Email, iTunes, etc.

He conference called FIDO and Apple to make sure that FIDO wasn't trying to screw him by feeding him incorrect techno-babble. Still no explanation.

He has literally spent hours dealing with them and has several open cases with FIDO about this issue. While he has been trying to resolve it he has been monitoring his usage all month and it is up to 41GB!

What I find incredible about this whole thing is the OBSCENE number they are claiming....41GB on a smartphone? While tethering is OFF?? It's a scam, plain and simple. And they have nothing to say other than 'oh, it's an app on your phone'.

Phones
    Nexus S, Samsung Blackjack i607
    LG L3
    Nokia 2855i
    Carrier
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Uninstalling apps may not be sufficient if there is a malicious app running. Resetting the phone's operating system to its factory state is the only way to rule out the handset as the cause, and thus point exclusively to network accounting as the faulty party.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3, S2 (BRICKED), HTC Desire
    Nokia N97, Nokia N95-3, Nokia 6265i, SE z710i, RAZR v3c, Moto v60ci, Samsung 8580, Sony CMB1207
    Carrier
    Canada-Wide Super 6GB
    Feedback Score
    this happened to me a couple of months ago. went sailing over 6GB -- but i was streaming tunes + vids at night via WiFi.

found out that unless i turned data completely off (with a widget or otherwise) while i used WiFi, somehow my phone managed to suck up data via both channels, perhaps preferring DATA even while WiFi was on.

in other words, DATA doesn't automatically turn off when WiFi is on. at least not on my SGS2.

Phone
    A variety of nokia's...
    Carrier
    fido (microcel)
    Feedback Score
    So I'm about to post a thread about this.

I have an iphone 4s, and a 6 gig data plan. I've had the 4s since October. I have *never* gone over 2.5 gig's in the past years, until last month. I now have a week left in my billing cycle, and I'm at 5.8 gig's according to the online counter, 4.5 gig's according to my phone's counter. In the last 2 days I've used up over 250 meg's, JUST WITH EMAIL. That usage is only 350 over the month so far of tethering. The odd thing is that most of that usage is sent data. 3 gig's of sent data.

I think it has something to do with the battery bug, as I've noticed in the last 2 months, my phone is suddenly unable to receive email until i reset, the battery drains, and usage goes way up.

I've called Fido, and asked them to help, and I've been troubleshooting with Apple. Fido added a 500 meg add on for 2 months for free yesterday, which is thoughful, but useless as it's prorated. Further, I feel that with a non jailbroken iphone bought from fido this is not my fault.

Let's hope we can get this solved. I've been a fido customer since they came to Vancouver. But if it's not resolved, I'm going to pay out my agreement and get out. I like Fido and the network. I don't want to go.

Wish me luck at the apple store this afternoon. I'm hopeful, but not betting (smile)

Phones
    LG L3
    Nokia 2855i
    Carrier
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does the 3 GB of sent data correspond with what's in your Sent folder? If not, you probably have a rogue application that is using your phone to send spam email. Resetting you phone to its factory original operating system is the only way to ensure that you have performed due diligence in limiting your handset's data usage.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    Apple iPhone 5
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions Inc.
    Feedback Score
    You must something or some apps who keep your iPhone like crazy...

Question, how many apps do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by cute View Post
    So I'm about to post a thread about this.

I have an iphone 4s, and a 6 gig data plan. I've had the 4s since October. I have *never* gone over 2.5 gig's in the past years, until last month. I now have a week left in my billing cycle, and I'm at 5.8 gig's according to the online counter, 4.5 gig's according to my phone's counter. In the last 2 days I've used up over 250 meg's, JUST WITH EMAIL. That usage is only 350 over the month so far of tethering. The odd thing is that most of that usage is sent data. 3 gig's of sent data.

I think it has something to do with the battery bug, as I've noticed in the last 2 months, my phone is suddenly unable to receive email until i reset, the battery drains, and usage goes way up.

I've called Fido, and asked them to help, and I've been troubleshooting with Apple. Fido added a 500 meg add on for 2 months for free yesterday, which is thoughful, but useless as it's prorated. Further, I feel that with a non jailbroken iphone bought from fido this is not my fault.

Let's hope we can get this solved. I've been a fido customer since they came to Vancouver. But if it's not resolved, I'm going to pay out my agreement and get out. I like Fido and the network. I don't want to go.

Wish me luck at the apple store this afternoon. I'm hopeful, but not betting (sm ile)

Sent from my GT-P7500R using HowardForums
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Feedback Score
    Something is definitely broken on Fido's end - I turned data off completely for the last 7 days of my billing cycle and actually turned my phone off COMPLETELY for the last 2 and the Fido usage system shows considerable usage during that period. Impossible.

I've called already and had the same BS response - that something on my phone must be using data. Seems impossible if the phone was completely off.

Phones
    LG L3
    Nokia 2855i
    Carrier
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not many people would to so far as to leave it off, so well done on establishing that it's not your handset's problem. Now I am curious to see if my next bill has accurate data counting.

Feedback Score
    Update - spoke with a CSR who credited me for the overage but refused to admit there was an issue. At first he kept asking if I was running any applications in the background, and even after being reminded that the phone was physically off for the last few days still kept coming back to that. Ye gods.

Anyway, I'm happy to have received a credit but it's obvious there's an issue somewhere in their system.

Feedback Score
    There is definitely something wrong with the way fido has started counting usage, and the problem started a few weeks ago. I nearly hit my limit for the previous billing period (500), and I'm usually never over 400. I figured I was just texting more than usual, but I checked again just now for the current billing period, and it says I've used more text messages than I counted on my phone since the billing period started on the 28th (ended on the 27th). Something fishy is going on.

Feedback Score
    If you send a message of over 160 characters, it may just show as one on your phone, but it'll be counted as several (one per every 160 characters).

Feedback Score
    Some good routers can provide usage stats. Go wireless for a day and see what stats you get. This should point you in the right direction.