Thread: changinig my ATT HTC Inspire 4G to Straight Talk

Feedback Score

changinig my ATT HTC Inspire 4G to Straight Talk

I am so lost in this... I bought this wondeful HTC inspire when I had ATT as carrier. I would really like to be able to use it on another carrier considering I paid almost $200 for the dang phone. I have read through the posts on this forum and I can't understand whether I can do this myself... or need to go to a store, or just be able to order a sim card from straight talk, insert it and be ready to go. I am not tech savy, and I know several posts have stated that you guys are tired of posting the same thing over and over... but take pity on a old lady and help her out ... please!!! I am at the mercy of people who have so much more knowledge than me, and I need clear, concise information to make a informed decision. ... what can I do to change carriers, and be able to use my HTC inspire 4g and not have it sit in my drawer collecting dust....

So appreciate your help ..

Suzzi C.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzzic@cox.net View Post
    I am so lost in this... I bought this wondeful HTC inspire when I had ATT as carrier. I would really like to be able to use it on another carrier considering I paid almost $200 for the dang phone. I have read through the posts on this forum and I can't understand whether I can do this myself... or need to go to a store, or just be able to order a sim card from straight talk, insert it and be ready to go. I am not tech savy, and I know several posts have stated that you guys are tired of posting the same thing over and over... but take pity on a old lady and help her out ... please!!! I am at the mercy of people who have so much more knowledge than me, and I need clear, concise information to make a informed decision. ... what can I do to change carriers, and be able to use my HTC inspire 4g and not have it sit in my drawer collecting dust....

So appreciate your help ..

Suzzi C.
    If you bought the phone and used it on AT&T, then it will be fairly easy to switch to StraightTalk. Here is what you'll need to do in a nutshell:
    1. You must purchase an AT&T sim from ST website and a $45 month card either at the website or at Walmart.com or your local Walmart.
    2. You will have to decide whether you are going to port your number to ST or get a new one from the, or port your number to Google Voice and forward it to a new ST number. If you are going to port, you'll want to do that when you activate the sim and start your service.
    3. As soon as your port is complete (or as soon as you finish the activation process if you aren't porting), then you will have voice and texting working. You will have to change some settings (seen here on the forums as APN settings) to get your data and MMS (picture messaging) working. There are a couple threads here that tells how to do that, just come back when you have your sim and are ready to switch.
    4. Purchase your monthly card every 30 days, and you'll have virtually the same service that you have now with AT&T, just for $45 a month plus tax. You do need to be aware of the "safe data limits", which are 100MB per day and 2GB per month. You should install a program like 3G Watchdog to help you keep track of your usage.

Any more questions, just ask. We're generally helpful here, just gets frustrating when the same question has been answered multiple times in a week.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi Suzzi,

You will LOVE your Inspire on Straight Talk, I have that phone too.

It was incredibly easy to set up, if you have any questions just PM me and I'll be happy to give you the settings that work for me.

I have better coverage than I ever did with Sprint or Verizon, and I often get internet downspeeds of 5-6 Mbps late at night.

Sent from my HTC Inspire on Straight Talk using HowardForums
    My Phone Can Amortize, Can Yours?

Feedback Score
    I have the same phone , but sometimes my st internet doesnt work and I cant get receive pictures at all.any help would help me alot.. my wi fi works ok ...

Feedback Score

want to switch to straight talk

Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    If you bought the phone and used it on AT&T, then it will be fairly easy to switch to StraightTalk. Here is what you'll need to do in a nutshell:
    1. You must purchase an AT&T sim from ST website and a $45 month card either at the website or at Walmart.com or your local Walmart.
    2. You will have to decide whether you are going to port your number to ST or get a new one from the, or port your number to Google Voice and forward it to a new ST number. If you are going to port, you'll want to do that when you activate the sim and start your service.
    3. As soon as your port is complete (or as soon as you finish the activation process if you aren't porting), then you will have voice and texting working. You will have to change some settings (seen here on the forums as APN settings) to get your data and MMS (picture messaging) working. There are a couple threads here that tells how to do that, just come back when you have your sim and are ready to switch.
    4. Purchase your monthly card every 30 days, and you'll have virtually the same service that you have now with AT&T, just for $45 a month plus tax. You do need to be aware of the "safe data limits", which are 100MB per day and 2GB per month. You should install a program like 3G Watchdog to help you keep track of your usage.

Any more questions, just ask. We're generally helpful here, just gets frustrating when the same question has been answered multiple times in a week.
    i have a att htc that i want to switch to straight talk. i was told all i have to do it order a straight talk sims.is that true

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mzchell View Post
    i have a att htc that i want to switch to straight talk. i was told all i have to do it order a straight talk sims.is that true
    Yep. Order the sim from their website, and you can get a service card either then or when you activate the sim. Then follow the steps in the post you quoted. If you have more specific questions, let us know.

Feedback Score

ok but what about to activate hotspot

Quote Originally Posted by mzchell View Post

ok so what about the hotspot? every time I try to activate it tells me to dial 611 or change my account up I would like to be able to use laptop without having to have a router but via my htc inspire 4g wireless output? it has st sim in it and internet and everything is activated but not hotspot. please help

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

changinig my ATT HTC Inspire 4G to Straight Talk

Quote Originally Posted by joey m View Post
    ok so what about the hotspot? every time I try to activate it tells me to dial 611 or change my account up I would like to be able to use laptop without having to have a router but via my htc inspire 4g wireless output? it has st sim in it and internet and everything is activated but not hotspot. please help
    Did you seriously reply to a thread this old?
    I will have questions for you.
    Don't be afraid to ask me questions.