Thread: Can you tether on Straight Talk uninterrupted without a "tethering plan"

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Can you tether on Straight Talk uninterrupted without a "tethering plan"

To quickly explain my situation, here's the thread I posted on the T-Mobile prepaid forums. I need to tether. Not a lot. Not all the time. As a backup. I work online, Time Warner is totally screwed up right now, and I needed to use my phone as a backup. Will I be able to do this with Straight Talk on either the T-Mobile sim or the AT&T sim? Data usage isn't extensive while tethering. I just want to know if they'll stop me. Thanks.
    God created Saturn...and he liked it, so he put a ring on it.

Feedback Score
    Yes you can. As long as you keep it within the unofficial limits of data, you should be fine. Roughly 100mb per day, 2gb a month depending on your location and how much data you pull within a short time. I usually tether to my iPad just for browsing if I'm mobile and can't lock on to a wifi signal. Never had any issues.

Feedback Score
    as long as you don't go over the rumored 2gb a month and don't use over 100mb a day
    you should be fine. use anything over that limit you might get a call from straight talk and they might
    cut you off.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    100MB a day, huh? That won't usually be a problem, but when I needed it for a backup I came in at like 150MB for the day. Are there other prepaid companies that use AT&T or T-Mobiles towers that don't have such a limit? I have to get away from T-Mobile right now.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    I will give you the flip side of the coin.

No

They watch for it and will cancel your service at the drop of a hat because it is against their tos.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you can live with native Sprint coverage Boost offers truly unlimited data for a few more weeks months . They already announced the will be going to a 2.5gb soft cap
    like Virgin some time this fall. Their unadvertised by the minute plan offers "unlimited" data for .50˘ per day but no Androids allowed on this plan. They will allow older windows mobile and black berry Sprint phones. The best phone allowed on this plan is the Htc Touch pro 2 . Sprint's 3g data is generally slow.

Feedback Score
    If this is really only "for backup," why not get a NetZero hotspot? You can turn it on and off whenever you want.

Phones
    Blu D230 Rave,Motorola V3M(RingPlus), FreedomPop Mifi 500, AT&T MiFi Liberate,
    Kindle 3G,Isatphone,V11 Dual Sim Flip,SVP MQ999
    Carrier
    AT&T,Telna,Sprint,ekit,Inmarsat,Skype
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzwnyc View Post
    If this is really only "for backup," why not get a NetZero hotspot? You can turn it on and off whenever you want.
    I have NetZero as a backup to my AT&T LTE modem. It's on the 200 mb a month free plan (for the first year and then you have to migrate to a paid plan or discontinue service).

Few caveats on Netzero:

1. Make sure you have Clear service where you intend to use NetZero. There's no backup to Sprint 3G on NetZero; it's purely Clear. Good high speed WiMax connection; but unfortunately not available everywhere.

2. It's a good deal on the free or cheaper low tier plans($20 or below). But for heavier usage would recommend going directly with Clear or one of their resellers like Virgin Mobile that gives you both the Sprint 3G and Clear 4G footprints. Virgin Mobile would also have the advantage of you could let the modem go dormant for a few months at a time if not needed.

3. The Netzero shipping fee of $20 is a bit steep. Sign up for a free MyPoints loyalty program first and link through MyPoints to get your modem instead. Immediate and delayed MyPoints kickbacks will get you your choice in gift cards that will roughly equal the shipping fee.

4. There are 2 upcoming competitors to NetZero in offering Clear plans with limited free options. One is FreedomPOP that will offer 500 mb free a month with an additional allotment for referrals. Another is Karma that will give you 100 mb free and an additional 100 mb for people who sign into a public portion of your hotspot for a free session.

Also see this chart that compares some prepaid broadband wireless plans: http://www.prepaid-wireless-guide.co...and-plans.html It's missing the newer Virgin Mobile 4G/3G plans (the 4G portion is unlimited), Netzero, etc. but it will let you see several prepaid options.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is there a reason "for backup" is in quotes? Is there something wrong with my "story"? And that could work, sure, but I also don't like that they're telling me how to use my 5GB so in the end I'd like to find another prepaid carrier, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjames View Post
    Is there a reason "for backup" is in quotes? Is there something wrong with my "story"? And that could work, sure, but I also don't like that they're telling me how to use my 5GB so in the end I'd like to find another prepaid carrier, too.
    Even virgin mobile giving people problems with tethering. Besides boost(until their cap starts) and Verizon prepaid(have to call in but you can still get the unlimited data plan on 3g) nobody else can you tether without the chance of being caught and some kind of cautiousness or termination . I tether from time to time with the att sim, so far I'm lucky and haven't been caught but I will NEVER tether everyday!

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjames View Post
    Yep, cause the topic has been covered too many fraking times here to repeat.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yep, cause the topic has been covered too many fraking times here to repeat.
    Please link me then, thanks.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaKizzle View Post
    Even virgin mobile giving people problems with tethering. Besides boost(until their cap starts) and Verizon prepaid(have to call in but you can still get the unlimited data plan on 3g) nobody else can you tether without the chance of being caught and some kind of cautiousness or termination . I tether from time to time with the att sim, so far I'm lucky and haven't been caught but I will NEVER tether everyday!

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HowardForums
    Meh, it just doesn't make sense. Oh well, thanks I guess.