Thread: Can I (should I) unlock Verizon 4510L Jetpack?

Feedback Score

Can I (should I) unlock Verizon 4510L Jetpack?

I recently bought a Novatel 4510L hotspot from Verizon with a prepaid 4G data plan and am researching my options. The first question that occurred to me is whether or not there are cheaper 4G prepaid plans that are compatible with this hotspot or is Verizon pretty much the only game in town? If not, is it possible to unlock this device so that I could use it with a different prepaid data plan, and if so how?

Finally, is it possible to switch from the prepaid data plan to a monthly data plan without buying a new hotspot?

That's about it, I think. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Right now, with the sole exception of Metro PCS, which has limited nationwide coverage, there is no major carrier besides Verizon that offers LTE in prepaid. All other forms of 4g are basically hspa plus (Tmobile and Att) plus Wimax (Clear and Sprint), both older forms which are probably going to be supplanted and replaced by LTE on those respective networks eventually.

You can't unlock the Novatel device as it is locked to Verizon cdma/LTE network. It can be used on Verizon postpaid and prepaid and that's about it. If you are looking for more flexibility in prepaid broadband, gsm prepaid modems with Tmobile and Att bandwidths might be more up your alley, though Idk if mifis have the ability to accomodate multiple networks even if they run off of gsm networks (sim card networks). Plus most unlocked broadband sim card/gsm devices are limited to 3g and not 4g. Often you get limited network choice and 4g or more choices and 3g.

It should be possible to switch between Verizon prepaid and monthly data plans but if the Hotspot device was a prepaid device to begin with , there may be a waiting period before you can put it on a monthly plan. I recommend you check with Verizon prepaid customer care to clarify that one.

Feedback Score
    Right now, with the sole exception of Metro PCS, which has limited nationwide coverage, there is no major carrier besides Verizon that offers LTE in prepaid. All other forms of 4g are basically hspa plus (Tmobile and Att) plus Wimax (Clear and Sprint), both older forms which are probably going to be supplanted and replaced by LTE on those respective networks eventually.

You can't unlock the Novatel device as it is locked to Verizon cdma/LTE network. It can be used on Verizon postpaid and prepaid and that's about it. If you are looking for more flexibility in prepaid broadband, gsm prepaid modems with Tmobile and Att bandwidths might be more up your alley, though Idk if mifis have the ability to accomodate multiple networks even if they run off of gsm networks (sim card networks). Plus most unlocked broadband sim card/gsm devices are limited to 3g and not 4g. Often you get limited network choice and 4g or more choices and 3g.

It should be possible to switch between Verizon prepaid and monthly data plans but if the Hotspot device was a prepaid device to begin with , there may be a waiting period before you can put it on a monthly plan. I recommend you check with Verizon prepaid customer care to clarify that one.

Feedback Score
    Will it be unlockable in the future? The thing about this device is that it's downward compatible, so as long as the speeds aren't *too* slow it might pay to get another carrier. I've seen unlocked versions of the MiFi2200 for sale, so that must've been unlocked by someone.

Feedback Score
    Lte devices use sims therefore are technically unlockable but interoperability between the different LTE carriers is still not possible at this time. Tmobile is launching a lawsuit hoping to make Verizon and Att share their LTE spectrum for roaming purposes. http://www.tmonews.com/2012/03/t-mob...interoperable/ Frankly, I think this is brilliant and really hope it passes as it will secure the future of byod in the 4g age.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The two best deals in data right now are Boost's (owned by Sprint) pay by the minute plan with unlimited Rev A data for .50 per day or Tmobiles $30 month 5 gb plan with 100 minutes an unlimited texting. On either plan you will need a wifi equipped phone to create a hotspot. Data on Sprint is slower than other carriers and the best phones you can use are old Sprint Windows mobile phones like the mogul or touch pro. With Tmobile you can use any phone including the newest 42mbs phones. Some of their newest phones will require rooting to remove a tethering manager