Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Straight Talk vs Net10?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    97
    Phones
    Google Nexus
    Google Galaxy Nexus
    Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Net10 BYOD
    Feedback Score
    0

    Straight Talk vs Net10?

    Are there any meaningful differences between Straight Talk and Net10 for bring your own sim?

    I'm on Red Pocket but in light of data moving down to 1GB i figure I might as well save a few bucks and limit my usage.

    I'm interested in an ATT sim and from what I can see, they look about the same.

    Thanks!
    Nexus or Bust!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    121
    Phone
    Samsung Transform
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    $5 difference. That's it as far as I know. I think the data is throttled similarly with net10 & ST

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,213
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post
    Are there any meaningful differences between Straight Talk and Net10 for bring your own sim?
    One difference used to be that Net10 allowed roaming but Straight Talk did not. Is that still the case?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    968
    Phones
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Galaxy Express
    Note 2
    Carriers
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have had Net10 for 2 weeks. Net 10 still advertises roaming. On Net10 speedtests don't work. I can use both Net10's and Straight Talk's APN. Speed wise they are about the same, I have seen 2-8 Mbps on both. I test Net10's speed using Usenet, averaged about 4 Mbps on my last 1.5 GB download. So far I have downloaded about 8GB on Net10 and no throttling or threatening texts/calls.

    If you buy your Net10 refills from CallingMart it's $49. CallingMart has a 5% off coupon code available from their FB page. Drops the price down to $46.50ish and you don't pay tax. On Straight Talk, if you use an Oregon Zip code, you do not have to pay tax either.

    They are both owned by the same company that owns Tracfone. I don't quite understand the difference myself. I guess Walmart pitched it to Tracfone and they liked the idea so they created a service of their own. I chose Net10 because there were no complaints of being terminated over bandwidth but then they also seem to have a lot less customers too. What the hell, worst case, I'm out $49 dollars and the cost of sim.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0
    Question about Net10s 'Bring Your Own' GSM Phone plan-- Can you order a $14.99 sim card and then activate using a regular Net10 minute card? I called customer service but there was a communication barrier and they told me I could. Does anyone here have experience and can you confirm that I can just order a $14.99 SIM card and then activate against say a $25 minute card purchased at retail?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,908
    Feedback Score
    0
    You cannot install a Net10 minute card on a phone unless the phone has the official Net10 minute-bank firmware. This firmware is found only on official Net10 handsets that are designed to accept minute cards. The reason is that the handset is the place where the minutes are managed, not at some central headquarters. A BYOD is not going to have the firmware, nor is it possible to flash it into there. The BYOD SIM is for unlimited minutes, therefore the firmware is not necessary. The airtime is managed at the office. Some official Net10 phones cannot take minute cards and some can. BYOD cannot. The SIM simply grants the use of Net10's wholesale airtime on the network for a monthly fee.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    87
    Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    You cannot install a Net10 minute card on a phone unless the phone has the official Net10 minute-bank firmware. This firmware is found only on official Net10 handsets that are designed to accept minute cards. The reason is that the handset is the place where the minutes are managed, not at some central headquarters. A BYOD is not going to have the firmware, nor is it possible to flash it into there. The BYOD SIM is for unlimited minutes, therefore the firmware is not necessary. The airtime is managed at the office. Some official Net10 phones cannot take minute cards and some can. BYOD cannot. The SIM simply grants the use of Net10's wholesale airtime on the network for a monthly fee.
    Thanks, I never knew this before. If the airtime for the BYOD SIM is managed at the office, does that mean someone at the office is monitoring my usage?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,908
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RodimusConvoy View Post
    Thanks, I never knew this before. If the airtime for the BYOD SIM is managed at the office, does that mean someone at the office is monitoring my usage?
    Sure. Instead of you holding a contract with AT&T or T-Mobile, Net10 has a contract and lets you in on it. There is always monitoring. You get only so much for your money.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    87
    Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Sure. Instead of you holding a contract with AT&T or T-Mobile, Net10 has a contract and lets you in on it. There is always monitoring. You get only so much for your money.
    Which I don't mind, its just I am worried about data usage. I don't stream or anything crazy, but I would use the data for GPS. I'm not sure if that would push me over the 2GB a month hidden cap, but...I'd use it for that, say, twice a week like clockework. And I'd leave it on for Facebook updates. But that would be the extent of my data usage.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0
    $5. But the real difference is that Net10 still offers truly unlimited data. ST advertises it but everyone knows that they throttle and/or cut at 2GB. Net10 can offer it because they still have a relatively small subscriber base. Expect them to go the same route as ST, H2O, RP, Airvoice once more people switch to Net10 and overage charges to AT&T start piling up. It's not financially sustainable for an AT&T mvno to offer unlimited data at a $50 price point or at any other price for that matter.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    Can someone please confirm that?
    What "Lisme" wrote was that I cannot buy a Net10 Simcard, and put it into my unlocked AT&T compatible GSM phone. (I think.)
    I would like to buy a sim card, and use it for voice + data in my unlocked AT&T compatible phone.
    Can someone please confirm that I can't (or can) do that with Net10?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    488
    Carrier
    Aio Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can buy the sim and use it but it will only work on the $50 unlimited plan you cannot use it for the $25 a month plan or using minute cards. BYOP sim = $50 plan only.

    Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using HowardForums

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,908
    Feedback Score
    0
    It depends on which plan you want. If you want the unlimited plan, then you can order a sim and get on Net10's system. If you want the original plan where you buy x amount of minutes, then no. That requires a phone that is specifically made for Net10. They come with a minute countdown app. There is no way to retrofit a non-Net10 phone for this.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,213
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTheMan18 View Post
    Can someone please confirm that? What "Lisme" wrote was that I cannot buy a Net10 Simcard, and put it into my unlocked AT&T compatible GSM phone. (I think.) I would like to buy a sim card, and use it for voice + data in my unlocked AT&T compatible phone. Can someone please confirm that I can't (or can) do that with Net10?
    I think the confusion is about the types of cards Net10 offers and which ones can be used with BYOD sim.

    Net10 has pay-as-you-go minutes cards in various denominations -- $20/200 minutes/30 days, $30/300 minutes/60 days, etc. Minutes deplete as you use them and when you run out, you replenish.

    And Net10 also has monthly cards -- $50/unlimited/30 days, $65/unlimited + international calling/30 days. These cards allow unlimited use and at the end of 30 days your minutes balance goes to zero and you must replenish with another $50 or $65 card.

    You cannot use the minutes cards with the BYOD sim. You can only use the monthly cards. So with a BYOD sim, you only have 2 choices -- $50/month or $65/month.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Answer to your question is yes, but with the following understanding. You must order the official BYOD Net10 SIM, this means either the on the site, on eBay, or bought in Bestbuy. The other exception is you can only uise the Unlimited plans (not the per minute) plans with the BYOD sim. This means you have to use at least a $50 unlimited card every month or loose service by the end date. I hope that was clear enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by ramji00 View Post
    Question about Net10s 'Bring Your Own' GSM Phone plan-- Can you order a $14.99 sim card and then activate using a regular Net10 minute card? I called customer service but there was a communication barrier and they told me I could. Does anyone here have experience and can you confirm that I can just order a $14.99 SIM card and then activate against say a $25 minute card purchased at retail?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 03:28 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM
  3. Orlando: Straight Talk or Net10 Unlimited
    By zookeeper2five in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
  4. tracfone/net10/straight talk/babygoogoo....
    By gmannix in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
  5. América Móvil (Tracfone, Net10, Straight Talk, SafeLink)
    By thejax in forum Forum Feedback & Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks