Thread: Activating Cricket iPhone 4s on Straight Talk?

Feedback Score

Activating Cricket iPhone 4s on Straight Talk?

Has anyone tried to see if a prepaid ($499) iPhone 4s from Cricket can be activated on Straight Talk?

I got one knowing that I would need to verify the Cricket coverage in my area. It's turned out to be pretty abysmal with dropped calls at my home and very poor data rates throughout the local area.

I'd like to activate it on Straight Talk, but there is a lot of conflicting info about whether or not the phone is unlocked for other domestic carriers. I'd like to know if anyone has actually done it.

Thanks much

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk will not activate any CDMA phones except those sold by Straight talk or Wal-Mart for use with Straight Talk service. The only non-Straight Talk phones officially permittted are GSM phones through the Bring Your Own Device Program and unofficially through substitution with the SIM cards from the three Nokia smartphones sold through the same channels.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk, GoPhone, Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw89 View Post
    Has anyone tried to see if a prepaid ($499) iPhone 4s from Cricket can be activated on Straight Talk?

I got one knowing that I would need to verify the Cricket coverage in my area. It's turned out to be pretty abysmal with dropped calls at my home and very poor data rates throughout the local area.

I'd like to activate it on Straight Talk, but there is a lot of conflicting info about whether or not the phone is unlocked for other domestic carriers. I'd like to know if anyone has actually done it.

Thanks much
    I don't have any personal experience with this, but I just did some quick web research. I think the phone is actually carrier unlocked, so you shouldn't have any limitations. Even if it was locked, it should present no issues as other carrier-locked 4S's work fine with ST. If a Cricket lock of some sort did exist and it created an issue, I'm sure it could be overcome through a jailbreak tweak.

But my best guess is that it would work just like any other 4S does with a ST sim, fine.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Cricket is a CDMA/LTE carrier. The GSM side of the phone is turned off for domestic service. A SIM card from Straight Talk will not be recognized with a Cricket phone. The same thing happens with a Verizon, Sprint or CSpire iPhone 4S.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thehofoguy View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with this, but I just did some quick web research. I think the phone is actually carrier unlocked, so you shouldn't have any limitations. Even if it was locked, it should present no issues as other carrier-locked 4S's work fine with ST. If a Cricket lock of some sort did exist and it created an issue, I'm sure it could be overcome through a jailbreak tweak.

But my best guess is that it would work just like any other 4S does with a ST sim, fine.

I think his version as mentioned above does not use a sim

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk, GoPhone, Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    Oops, sorry guys. I mistakenly thought all 4S's had functional sim card slots. Learned my lesson. Need to not chime in unless I really know what I'm talking about. Sorry for any misinformation.

P.S. I assume that also explains why they are priced the way they are?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    It does have a sim slot, but it is locked from use within the US. If you search, there are a number of folks using a gevey sim or similar to unlock it. It is possible to so that and use ST with one of these phones. However, with any iOS update, you are dependent on the gevey sim people clear you for update similar to jail breakers having to wait. The difference is there are more people working on jailbreaks for new iOS than there are for the geveys, or at least that would be my assumption. You can do more reading on it. It is possible, but not necessarily advisable.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    It does have a sim slot, but it is locked from use within the US.
    did you mean outside the us?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    did you mean outside the us?
    like the sprint/verizon models the sim slot is unlocked for use if you travel outside the united states
    but locked for use on usa gsm networks, thats where the gevey sim comes in to play.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I meant it can be used outside US, but is locked so that it is not supposed to be possible to use it on a US GSM carrier. There are ways to get around that, but they have their own issues to consider before using them.

Feedback Score
    According to what IOS version is on the phone you could possibly unlock it via the SAM unlock method for iPhone 4s. If that's patched already you can certainly use a gevey or a cheaper imitation like the ones on eBay. Also check out cutyoursim.com they unlock iPhones as well.

Carrier
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    ill tell you the secret...I spent hours researching trying to figure it out...I have a cricket iPhone 4s and I used a gevey ultra s to unlock for straight talk atat sim card...Here is the 7 digit activation code you need to input into gevey s ultra 0163100 ...I got my cricket 4s unlocked for atat no problem...I have done my friends cricket 4s the same way...Also you may need to use ifunbox to erase/var/root/Library lockdown folder on iPhone and/var/mobile/library delete carrier bundles

Listen Factory unlocking can only be done to gsm models so don't waste your time with those stupid websites they are a ripoff...If you do run across a gsm atat original 4 or 4s...You can use a guy on ebay to factory unlock your 4s for $9.99...I have used this guy numerous times http://www.ebay.com/itm/350595821533...ht_3787wt_1398
    Last edited by jqwest303; 09-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.