Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pageplus data usage accounting

Feedback Score

pageplus data usage accounting

PPS claims monthly 12 plan data cost $0.20 per MB after included 10MB. I put down $40 before travel and expect to get 200MB. After a few days, my cellphone log (by 3G watchdog app) shows data usage of 30MB after included 10MB, but my balanced dropped to $10. So I checked the call records, PPS does not show data usage as bytes, it shows minutes. So I called the PPS to ask how much data I used, first rep compared one big item ($8), and data usage is 8MB, so I was charged $1 per MB. She was not able to explain it and opened a case. A few hours later, I got an email the accounting is accurate! I called and asked why they call it accurate, seems they overcharge me by 4X. The rep asked her supervisor to talk to me, and the supervisor kept repeating the charge is accurate. Since I'm using smartphone and not officially supported by PPS, they don't have to explain the difference in my phone log and their accounting.

Not sure if just I was unlucky. I'm OK with small difference, but 5X difference is too much. Not sure if anyone knows better way to figure out data usage by PPS's accounting

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not a satisfactory answer but the best bet is to switch to a dif plan on months you need more data. Comes out almost as cheap ($12+40) to just go on the 55 for the month and get 2gb

Feedback Score
    If I'm sure I will use a lot of data, 55 plan works better. In my case, I only check email and some news update, 50MB seems to be OK(and it's confirmed by the phone's log), ~$10. But PPS somehow charged ~$40, it's not expected.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would not accept the answer that they gave you. I would demand a written accounting of your data overage charges and if they refused file a complaint with the FCC for deceptive advertising and business practices.
    That said I like Page Plus and think there must be something missing as I do not see a lot of other folks raising this issue. I am wondering if perhaps you started with a standard pin and then converted to a monthly and it has to do with your original funding being linked to your overage charges. Either way it would be wrong IMHO but might have something to do with it.

I do believe that Page Plus should do a better job of showing data usage other than there current practice of just calling it minutes on your call logs. How hard could it be to list at least daily data usage in Megabytes and show the charges related. i think it has do do with them originally not wanting to deal with data as they were primarily a cell & text service but the times have changed and now data is far more in demand and it is there profit center much like there mother ship Verizon has done with there share everything plans and expensive tiered data.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I also wouldn't accept the answer you received. You might have to call back multiple times to get a PPC CSR that will be willing to help or direct you to a representative that can.
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I think a BAL text request will send you a data balance. You could use that to verify your data usage by comparing two balance text messages to see how much data you consumed in the time period between the two texts. Maybe your data monitoring program is not tracking all of your data usage?
    Last edited by falingtrea; 07-11-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Timothy Barr

Feedback Score
    I did a BAL text and it does not show data usage after included usage.
    I use the app 3G watchdog, it get mostly positive feedback from users, and I used the same app in my other phone with ATT matches well. And I doubt 4X mismatch is normal.
    Yes, I switched from standard plan to 12 plan shortly before this issue, it may have confused them on the data rate. Their voice/text are quite accurate, so no complaint here. But after this, I don't feel comfortable with its data accounting, will switch to another provider.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mingz4 View Post
    I did a BAL text and it does not show data usage after included usage.
    If the reply text doesn't show a data balance, then there is some problem with your account on the PPC side. If what you said was accurate, then you need to call PPC back and verify that you have a monthly plan correctly activated on your account.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    "I use the app 3G watchdog"

Works great, but it is grossly inaccurate on my phone. It counts loopback usage. I'm on the 12 and I send balance messages.
    Here is what is says:
    Balance: $7.35
    The 12
    Exp: 2012-07-19
    Minutes: 208
    Text: 118
    Data: 8.8MB
    This is a free message.

If yours doesn't look like that, then something is wrong. Sounds like you are on the standard plan, which doesn't show MB, just minutes.

Feedback Score
    Here is the text message
    Minutes: **
    Texts: **
    Data:0.00MB

===
    The Data shows the available amount from the plan. e.g.: for 12 plan, if I used 8MB, the Data will show 2MB available. Since I have used more than 10MB, it will always shows 0.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    One thing that might be affecting your app.

"Should NOT be installed on SD card (run as service)."

It may not report usage correctly if it is installed on the SD card.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Here is another thought. Even though it is not documented, maybe there is a different rate for roaming data? I find it hard to believe that in-network and roaming data costs are the same on Page Plus.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by falingtrea View Post
    Here is another thought. Even though it is not documented, maybe there is a different rate for roaming data? I find it hard to believe that in-network and roaming data costs are the same on Page Plus.
    I've never tried personally, but I've read that PPC cellular data simply doesn't work when roaming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I've never tried personally, but I've read that PPC cellular data simply doesn't work when roaming.
    PPC does have roaming. I noticed this in Yosemite National park. There was roam icon in phone occasionally(but not all the time),and I have to double dial. But in this time, the phone call was not roaming.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mingz4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    PPC does have roaming. I noticed this in Yosemite National park. There was roam icon in phone occasionally(but not all the time),and I have to double dial. But in this time, the phone call was not roaming.
    What does that have to do with cellular data?
    Last edited by Boz1; 07-18-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast