Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Customer Fraud @ Rogers Wireless

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Customer Fraud @ Rogers Wireless

Hey guys, just wanted to share a recent experience I had at Rogers. Long story short, I was browsing my 'My Roger' and noticed my address was wrong (North York, address I live in a different city). Then I noticed a different email address and phone numbers. I called Rogers customer service right away and they told me 'I' called them at about 1pm this afternoon and made changes including 'Credit Card' (which by the way was the same credit card) (cancelled pre-auth and notified bank/credit card companies). It was so stupid because they changed my home number by 1 digit (which must people would think, that's strange). And who changes an email address after they move? Come on.

Rogers confirmed no other changes were made on the account. I am assuming they were going to purchase something on the account, or they were going to set me up for Identity Theft (set up credit cards, etc).

I have not only put on a pin code but also password question.

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, if not keep an eye out guys.

Feedback Score
    Good thing you caught it before anything was billed to your account. Could have been a pain in the... to get everything fixed up.

Feedback Score
    Suggest Subject for Thread: Someone tried to steal my ID.

Customer Fraud @ Rogers Wireless doesn't sound right. A pin number on an account is just to speed up things and not to stop all access. If you forget your pin they just ID you the normal way.

What you should do is call the credit report agencies and put an alert on your account. If anyone tries to run anything with your credit report it will alert. At Rogers these alerts come up with 0 lines available and a $10,000 deposit and then a special dept calls YOU to confirm if it was you trying to do the activation.

Feedback Score
    Everybody should use a "pin", it is not much protection but it is better than nothing

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like they were planning to buy stuff on your account. Not sure how they could use your modified account info for ID theft. Rogers has pretty lax security to protect customers from this sort of thing. Ever done a HUP in store? Did they ask for ID, beyond your phone number, before they rang you up and let you walk off? These days they might, but they often did not in the past. Had someone loaded up on products through your account, they might well put the onus on you to prove it.
    Unlocked Pentaband iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked iPhone 4
    Unlimited airtime, Unlimited CAN/US long distance, Unlimited SMS to CAN/US wireless numbers
    2500 Call Forwarding minutes to CAN/US numbers
    CiD, 6GB
    Google Voice for visual voice mail with message transcription, conditional greetings, unlimited messages (vs 35 message cap), remote retrieval from any PC or phone, no auto-purge after 10 days and most importantly no $7-$8 charge.
    $53$65

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tech4fun View Post
    Everybody should use a "pin", it is not much protection but it is better than nothing
    I use a pin. When I first started using one, it was a year or so before I called in again and I'd forgotten what I set as the PIN. They helpfully allowed me to set a new one after confirming my DOB and postal code.

Feedback Score
    When the customer forgets the PIN, they're supposed to ask other questions and not just the DOB/postal code. Supposed to confirm the numbers on the pieces of ID used for the credit evaluation..

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Ok guys, I just got off the phone with Rogers, they told me that the thief ordered a Samsung S3 - 32 GB phone and tried to have it delivered to the North York address but as I caught it in time they didn't get anything, *ssholes. Roger's also told me it has been happening a lot recently and they are investigating (as per fraud department @ rogers). This thieves are also doing early hardware upgrades and charging the full amount to the customer. Personally i think it is someone internal or the 3rd party companies that represent Rogers.

Feedback Score
    This is nothing new and has been going on for years. But yes, its usually a mix of people both inside and outside the company who are involved.

Feedback Score
    This has been going on since the Nokia 8801. $1200 phone for $600 on a contract people would big time fraud these phones.

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    ^Have you been working for them that long?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    ^Have you been working for them that long?
    early 2005. I was around for the V21 rollout when Rogers took over.

Phones
    iPhone4
    iPhone5
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieenn View Post
    All I'm saying is - people should be very careful
    You can't stop fraud. Just like a credit card getting hacked.

Phones
    iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    GoogleNexus, GNote
    ▬ JAWBONE I [Sold the II, & the Prime :(], Icon, Blueant Q1, H680, H12
    Carrier
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ircu View Post
    .... A pin number...
    *PET PEEVE*...lol..

Quote Originally Posted by tech4fun View Post
    Is it really not 'much' more security? I always was led to believe it is in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    ... Ever done a HUP in store? Did they ask for ID, beyond your phone number, before they rang you up and let you walk off? These days they might, but they often did not in the past...
    Don't you need to present ID for a hup? What's the policy for this? I don't think I've ever done an in store hup actually lol.

to OP...for once...being OCD and checking your account actually paid off for you lol.

agreed on misleading title. While it doesn't say the fraud is caused BY the company, it certainly hints at it lol.

So lemme get this straight, what exactly is the policy to confirm ID if PIN is 'forgotten' or 'wrong'?
    300 @ 5pm●5K SMS●Auto Roadside●Unlim Inc●1000LD●R2RLD●VP●6Gb LTDizzle+credits = <$36
    34+|0|0 119+|0|0

For Sale: Crazy Sexy Cool 416-888's or 613 #'s
    WTT: My BNIB Note 2 for an Ipad Mini or 4
    Factory Unlocked 5White32gb, GNote2x2, 9900 LNIB Retired, GS3 for Mobi
    i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 9Gb DDR3
    My Wireless LD FAQ., READ IT!!!
    The Jawbone I, photo-review

Feedback Score
    There's a question to ask (favourite movie, name of your childhood best friend, etc.) on some accounts. If they don't have the question, then last three digits of SIN, or driver's license number... whatever was used for the initial credit check.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast