Thread: Can a CDMA (Verizon) Tracfone be used on Safelink wireless?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Can a CDMA (Verizon) Tracfone be used on Safelink wireless?

My grandmother uses a Safelink phone on AT&T's network, but the signal is very weak inside of her house, along with T-Mobile. Could she purchase a CDMA phone off of tracfone's website and move the 250 minutes from the GSM phone to the new CDMA phone?
    LG Nexus 4 - T-Mobile (postpaid)
    Nokia Lumia 521 - T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sprint (via Ting)
    ZTE Valet - Verizon (via Tracfone)
    Apple iPad 2 - WiFi only

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Going from memory, I think I've seen people mention before that they've transferred their Safelink service from one TracFone to another. I'm sure someone will chime in with first hand experience.

I highly recommend the LG 220c. It gets stellar reception, sound quality is excellent, and the battery seems to last forever. The newer CDMA LG flip phones aren't as robust.

I think going with a CDMA TracFone is a good idea if it will work in her house. I have good coverage from both AT&T on GSM and Verizon on CDMA, but I always seem to end up with some garbled voices on my AT&T TracFone. I much prefer my Verizon TracFone.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 6 64GB, Galaxy Note 3, Lumia 635: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4S & LG Ultimate 2: TracFone (Verizon)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SBdunks View Post
    My grandmother uses a Safelink phone on AT&T's network, but the signal is very weak inside of her house, along with T-Mobile. Could she purchase a CDMA phone off of tracfone's website and move the 250 minutes from the GSM phone to the new CDMA phone?
    Yes you can use a CDMA phone on Safelink.

Remember that the 250 minute plan does not have rollover. So whatever is left on July 31 of the minutes you transfer now will be wiped out on Aug 1 and you start with a new 250 minutes.

Incidentally, why didn't you ask this question on their website, http://www.safelinkwireless.com You are taking a chance asking it here since this is a tracfone /net10 forum. And although safelink operates on tracfone hardware, the systems are entirely different.

Most people here don't have a clue as to how safelink operates and will answer from the tracfone point of view. Although they are well intentioned, some of their answers will end up getting you wiped out.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick responses. IsLand_BoY, would you happen to know where I can purchase a LG 220c? I didn't see it on TF's website, nor on Amazon. I don't think it would make much of a difference if I get the LG 235c, since Verizon already has great coverage inside the house.

Annepani, I had a friend who purchased a $10 Tracfone at Family Dollar to replace her damaged Safelink phone and she transferred her service with no issues, but it was GSM to GSM. And, the people here always know more than anybody on a carrier-provided forum.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SBdunks View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses. IsLand_BoY, would you happen to know where I can purchase a LG 220c? I didn't see it on TF's website, nor on Amazon. I don't think it would make much of a difference if I get the LG 235c, since Verizon already has great coverage inside the house.

Annepani, I had a friend who purchased a $10 Tracfone at Family Dollar to replace her damaged Safelink phone and she transferred her service with no issues, but it was GSM to GSM. And, the people here always know more than anybody on a carrier-provided forum.
    Here's an eBay auction for ~$25 w/ free ship: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LG220c-T...item25723980db (I have no affiliation with the seller)

I'm sure the LG 235c will be similar and I see it's on Amazon for $19.99 with no tax and if you have Prime (or add another $5.01 to your order) shipping will be free. That might be a better option.

Be forewarned that GSM <--> CDMA transfers are more of a hassle and you may have to call TracFone to follow up if the number doesn't transfer in a day or two. I've had problems in the past but I've always been able to get it sorted out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Be forewarned that GSM <--> CDMA transfers are more of a hassle and you may have to call TracFone to follow up if the number doesn't transfer in a day or two. I've had problems in the past but I've always been able to get it sorted out.
    Hi Island_Boy

Safelink transfers have to be done by phone with CSR. They cannot be done using the Tracfone online system because Safelink phone numbers are not in the Tracfone data base. There is also a final step that the CSR has to do manually -- a report that gets prepared and forwarded to Safelink to complete the transfer.

As I said, people who know Tracfone think they know Safelink but no, the systems are very different.

By the way, I have upgraded my Safelink phone 4 times in about as many years (the latest being the S425) so I do speak from experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Here's an eBay auction for ~$25 w/ free ship: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LG220c-T...item25723980db (I have no affiliation with the seller)

I'm sure the LG 235c will be similar and I see it's on Amazon for $19.99 with no tax and if you have Prime (or add another $5.01 to your order) shipping will be free. That might be a better option.
    You wouldn't recommend the R455C? The OP didn't say it had to be a flip phone and also didn't say it had to be bottom dollar. The R455C is quite a nice phone.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    You wouldn't recommend the R455C? The OP didn't say it had to be a flip phone and also didn't say it had to be bottom dollar. The R455C is quite a nice phone.
    Well.. The OP did say grandmother and that they were looking at the LG 235c, which would lead me to believe a flip phone at a reasonable price would be the point

The R455c is definitely a nice phone. The dialing keypad on the front is small though so if the primary use is calling, I don't know how much I'd like that or recommend it. The trade off is worth it if you'll be using/want the QWERTY keyboard though. If you won't be using the QWERTY keyboard then obviously there are much better options, like the LG 235c.