Thread: Droid 3 on straight Talk?

Feedback Score

Droid 3 on straight Talk?

How difficult is it to put a Verizon phone on the straight Talk network? Or at least point me in the right direction please. Thank you.

Sent from my Desire HD using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    the verizon part of the droid cannot be used on straight talk.
    however if the phone has a slot for a sim card,it might be possible by using a gevey sim
    to unlock for use on straight talks AT&T/t-mobile byod sim.

Feedback Score
    if you can follow directions and feel comfortable "hacking" a phone then it's not that hard. I put my Verizon Droid 3 on ST to test out Android OS back in Janurary.

You will have to get the phone unlocked ($5 online), root the phone, and then follow the guideline (Search for it via Google). There were still some hiccups (like it ask to switch to CDMA mode every now and then) but everything worked as it should.

Only real disadvantage at the time was I was stuck using Gingerbread OS (2.3.4). Updating the OS would loose my connection to the ST/AT&T network. However there may now be a fix for this. I'm not sure because I went back to using the iPhone on ST :-)

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    to summarize its a painful, expensive and unsatisfying experience after its over.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    to summarize its a painful, expensive and unsatisfying experience after its over.
    That's what I was thinking.

Why go to all that trouble for a phone that is now a year old? It's not like there is a shortage of new or used GSM (sim card) Androids out there...

Find a GSM sim card phone you like, activate it on the sim phone BYOD plan. That part of Straight Talk even has a different URL:

http://straighttalksim.com/
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Feedback Score
    actually if you want a android phone like the Droid 3 on ST because of its physical qwerty keyboard, then I think AT&T's Samsung Captivate GLYDE might be something worth checking out :-) it won't be as much of a pain setting up with ST!

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    why hello there. Headed to ST? I left MPCS for AT&T ST....
    people here less noobish.

Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

Why go to all that trouble for a phone that is now a year old? It's not like there is a shortage of new or used GSM (sim card) Androids out there...

Find a GSM sim card phone you like, activate it on the sim phone BYOD plan. That part of Straight Talk even has a different URL:

http://straighttalksim.com/

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all your input... After gathering information provided above... I won't need be putting the DROID on ST... I'd rather buy a gsm phonecard do it the quick and easy way... Thanks for all your help and input folks.. You've been very helpful.

Sent from my Desire HD using HowardForums

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerballtux View Post
    why hello there. Headed to ST? I left MPCS for AT&T ST....
    people here less noobish.
    Hey soccerballtux, just now seeing this. Yeah, left about a week ago. I invited everyone over in the Metro forum to come with me!

My wife and I now have two Galaxy Nexus phones on HSPA+. For a couple dollars cheaper per month than Metro's similar speed LTE. And coverage is much better.

Life is good.