Thread: Wifi difficulty with laptop and Virgin mobile Overdrive Pro hotspot device

Phone
    RAZR V3m
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Wifi difficulty with laptop and Virgin mobile Overdrive Pro hotspot device

So I'm not having a problem with the cellular device, so this may not truly belong here as it may be more of a PC issue, but I figured if anyone else had a similar issue they would probably come to a Virgin mobile forum also.

I have the Overdrive Pro 3G/4G hotspot device, and it's working properly. For testing purposes, I have connected multiple wifi devices to it successfully, including my phone, my ipod touch, and several laptops from my office.

However my personal laptop simply won't work properly with it. The laptop (XP Pro, SP3) detects the hotspot fine and will connect to it, and will get an IP via DHCP. So far, so good. However the laptop can't ping the device, and obviously cant ping anything else on the Internet either. Nor can I access the device's web interface from the laptop. TCP/IP details look correct and similar to my other devices that connect and surf successfully.

I thought maybe there might be an issue that my particular wireless NIC (Atheros AR5007EG) may not be compatible with the hotspot device, but if that were the case, I dont think it would even see the device SSID, and/or get an IP address, which it is.

The hotspot device comes with software that lets you tether it to a PC via the included USB cable for connectivity also. This method does succeed in getting the laptop online, but I want the wifi method to work as well.

If I use another computer to web into the device, and list all currently connected wifi clients, it does show the problem laptop connected successfully. But still, the laptop cant ping the hotspot. This isn't making any sense to me, and I'm banging my head on the desk trying to resolve this.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas Im not thinking of. Thanks!
    Last edited by clubbinguy; 07-11-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Is the device IP address something like 169.254.x.x ?

Are you using security, like WPA or WPA2? If so, which, and have you tried it with no security?

Phone
    RAZR V3m
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It always gets all the proper TCP/IP details for a 192.168.0.*/24 LAN.

I hadnt thought to try disabling security. The device only does WPA2-AES or no security. When I try it with no security the laptop can then ping the device and the Internet fine. Switching back to WPA2 it again cannot. So it's something to do the way the device uses WPA2. The OCD is me wants to know more about why, but the fact that I can connect without security is an okay workaround for me.

I can configure the device to only use a short range signal, as well as an audible beep any time a new wireless client connects. These put my mind at ease that no one else will be riding my signal. Plus I always turn the device off when not in use anyway.

Thanks, good call.

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Is your laptop running Windows XP? If so, have you installed this patch?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=1974

Phone
    RAZR V3m
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Good call. It is XP, and I did have that update already (apparently included in SP 2 or 3). But I can live with this now. I'm finding it's rare that I ever use it untethered with the laptop anyway. Or I could pick up a cheap USB WNIC and see if that connects any better. Thanks for the 2nd set of eyes!