Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprint HTC Evo 4G - Can I use it on Virgin Mobile network?

Feedback Score

Sprint HTC Evo 4G - Can I use it on Virgin Mobile network?

I have a Sprint HTC Evo 4g which was previously used with my contract with Sprint.

I'm trying to get away from a contract but would like to use the phone if possible. I notice in the Virgin FAQs there is a question about what happens if you purchase a new phone, can the old phone be replaced by the new one? The answer says you log into your account and there is a section that allows you to do this. You just need to enter the ESN #, which my phone has. The FAQ doesn't say anything about having to purchase the phone from Virgin.

I went to Radio Shack and they said it could not be done, but they didn't seem real confident in their answer. So, I'm wondering about the possibility of starting a Virgin Mobile account (which I probably will do anyway), getting a really cheap phone initially, then going through their "upgrade" and using my old Sprint EVO 4g.

Anyone know if it can be done?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I found this in your FAQs which would leave me to believe it can be done:

Q: Is it possible to use a non-Virgin Mobile branded phone on VM?

A: Assuming the phone is also a CDMA phone (made for user on Verizon or Sprint or their MVNO's), yes. The specifics of how to do so will not be provided here, but links to such specifics can be provided and discussion of how to get said phones working properly once modified will be allowed.

I haven't found the links to how to get it done yet but I'm looking.

Feedback Score
    I would lean towards "yes", that it can be done. The underlining tech is the same : CDMA.

You'd be up ***t creek without a paddle if you were going from CDMA to non CDMA or vice versa.

But that is not the issue at hand here, since sprint and Virgin use the same CDMA networks. I'm going to buy a used HTC Evo 4G for like 100 or whatever I can get one cheap for, and give it a shot and try to activate it on virgin. If I can get that to work I'll let you know.

Why? Well, I want to move up to a 4G phone. Right now that same phone, VA branded, is 299 on their website.

BTW, I've really enjoyed Virgin's service. Straight forward, one price, no contract.

Phones
    LG Volt
    LG Volt
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I havn't heard of anyone bring a phone over to virgin mobile aside from a very involved iphone process that require implanting the imei from a valid VM phone into the iphone. I guess if you can manage that on the 4g then you are golden.

Feedback Score
    You won't be able to.

Phones
    Evo V 4G
    Evo V 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsupyeah View Post
    I'm going to buy a used HTC Evo 4G for like 100 or whatever I can get one cheap for, and give it a shot and try to activate it on virgin. If I can get that to work I'll let you know.

Why? Well, I want to move up to a 4G phone. Right now that same phone, VA branded, is 299 on their website.
    The Virgin branded Evo V 4G isn't the same phone as the Evo 4G. It is the same as the Evo 3d though at least hardware wise.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the responses. I've got a cheapie LG so I can start my service. I'm going to be traveling for a while so needed a phone ASAP. When I get back I'm going to try to get my EVO 4g to work.

I'm wondering if I root the Sprint Evo first if I might have better luck getting it to work on Virgin.

Any thoughts?

Phones
    LG Volt
    LG Volt
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Rooting would be a requirement to changing its IMEI. There is also the little bit about the 4g, currently Virgin mobile has access to the wiimax network (evo 3d). Even if you got a phone to connect to the 3g network, trying to access virgin mobile over LTE will probably be a bust.

Very little discussion on doing so here though, you will need to hit up the forums that cater to hacking the phone.

Feedback Score
    I've seen places on EBay offering Sprint to Virgin flashes, although the Sprint to Boost ones seem to be more of a sure thing. The fact most of them mention a donor phone (including tutorials online) does not bode well. Especially when said donor phones are becoming ancient.

Carrier
    Virgin/Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Buy a Venture on sale for $40. Use it as a donor phone. What exactly are you imagining to be ancient, Dave?

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Nope.. Sorry.

If it was that easy to slap any cdma smart phone on VM (just doing a phone swap @ VM's site), it would be all over the internet.

Also, I do believe any type of discussion that involves modifying/cloning the ESN of a phone is against the forums rules, and is illegal in the U.S. Even the popular modding forums don't allow talk of it.

I think your best bet would be to sell your current phone and pick up an Evo V.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- Beanstalk Kit-Kat 4.4.4_r2 -- LTE + ART enabled
    Moto G ------- Stock KitKat -- 4.4.3 -- with ART
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Phones
    LG Volt
    LG Volt
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    lol @ talking about it being illegal.

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
    lol @ talking about it being illegal.
    Do I agree with it, no. But it is what it is. Modifying an electronic serial number is illegal, and yes the law is vague and pretty much encompasses everything. But do they really prossecute it, I doubt it. :-)

http://law.onecle.com/uscode/18/1029.html

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cell-phone-fraud
    Last edited by hershey_squirt; 07-19-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Phones
    LG Volt
    LG Volt
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was referring to the talking about part.

Feedback Score

HTC EVO 4G to VM

I saw that you were going to try it and see if it worked. I am interested in doing the same. Any luck?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast