Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S III Release Thread

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy S III Release Thread

Some people have already received their units, so here is the Release Thread for the Samsung Galaxy S III.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...edPhoneId=5920

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...edPhoneId=5918
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Privileged to post early. I just got done playing wirh one. Hard to judge reception in the store. It seems a nuisance to have to independently adjust the browser brightness. Overall it made a good impression with the short amount of playing time. Might be on my list if tbe Note 2 or HTC Note does not pan out.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I am disgusted by the vzw locked bootloader and more so by the outright lies by vzw that it was Sammy that locked it. Looking here for a reason -- now that I own this SCH-i535 vzw SGSIII -- to take mine out of the box.

Has anyone else experienced the display problems in the browser and email (not GMail) apps reported in the pre-release thread? Do the brightness settings fixes suggested there fully resolve the issue?

Perspective instantiates reality.
    [From DX by HoFo app.]
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I only played for a short while. Hitting the background color button and adjusting the brightness made it look close to the main displayed items.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    *IF* such adjustments fully fix the clarity and contrast issues and only need to be done once -- fix it & forget it -- then I'd say it's a good thing and not a problem at all. Individualizing tools of all kinds -- like custom kernels, for example -- are positives in my book.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I suppose that is for the owners to determine. Curious to hear how the phone's reception is.

Feedback Score
    Really only their twitter hack lied. That is really more an issue with internal communication and control of PR message issue. The first more official word from VZW was their normal line on being for locked BL's for "Network Experience" and seemingly to a lesser degree "Device Support" reasons. If some twitter hack they have isn't well versed on the company like that is bad, but not surprising and I doubt whomever it is they have doing that is the sorta level of person to be calling anything they say the company line.

At the end of the day I am quite pleased to see we now at least have one OEM able to convince VZW to allow sales of unlockable and not marketed by VZW versions of devices. Now we need folks to go and sell their subsidized devices and buy up these unlocked ones if for no other reason than to make a statement.

My wife likes this device and we didn't have any subsidies available before the new draconian stuffs so are now technically freed to buy devices when we see the ones we like and not forced to game a subsidy day somehow. We have lost that value in our service with VZW, but it does free up our device buying desires a bit. That value had been getting marginalized a lot from year to year anyhow. You had the jacking up of top end subsidy device price for LTE devices, phase out of NE2, and then the upgrade fee. It was almost to the point you really only got a good deal on the device rather than something that was really a subsidized price. At $330 you are probably getting REALLY close to the cost VZW pays for even premium devices with their buying power.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the horse ran off, but at least he left us some fertilizer for the vegetable garden.

I'll go back & check, but I didn't read "twitter hack", I read vzw Tech Support. That's corporate, if so, and it's cover-up sour and simple.

And I still haven't heard either an apology for the 'mis-statement' or a direct acknowledgement that, in particular: 'Yes, vzw requested that the SGSIII bootloaders be locked down.'

Generic, 'Vzw doesn't like unlocked bootloaders.' - yes. Specific, 'That is why the SGSIII bootloaders are locked down.' - no. Still trying to distance the corporation from full and direct responsibility for its action.

Will vzw insurance be available for the unlocked SCH-i535 purchased through Samsung? Any kind of hardware protection?

I agree Samsung deserves our support for a bold move in favor of the consumer. It occurs to me that if I could ship my in-the-box SCH-i535 to Sammy and get a 'Developer' SGSIII back, I might just do that...

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 07-12-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Yeah, the horse ran off, but at least he left us some fertilizer for the vegetable garden.

I'll go back & check, but I didn't read "twitter hack", I read vzw Tech Support. That's corporate, if so, and it's cover-up sour and simple.

And I still haven't heard either an apology for the 'mis-statement' or a direct acknowledgement that, in particular: 'Yes, vzw requested that the SGSIII bootloaders be locked down.'

Generic, 'Vzw doesn't like unlocked bootloaders.' - yes. Specific, 'That is why the SGSIII bootloaders are locked down.' - no. Still trying to distance the corporation from full and direct responsibility for its action.

Will vzw insurance be available for the unlocked SCH-i535 purchased through Samsung? Any kind of hardware protection?

I agree Samsung deserves our support for a bold move in favor of the consumer. It occurs to me that if I could ship my in-the-box SCH-i535 to Sammy and get a 'Developer' SGSIII back, I might just do that...

[From DX by HoFo app.]

With an unlimited data plan, developer edition or full retail may e the way to go, if I stay with Verizon. If they do not get the Note 2 I may decide to go somewhere else.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    It seems to me "the lady doth protest too much." Nexus, OK. Developer SGSIII, OK. But unlocked bootloaders pose an unacceptable security risk to "The Network."

"Somebody's gonna hafta explain it to me,
    I'm not really sure what it means."

Is that not a little inconsistent? I'm feeling funny about it; what d'yall think? Seams a bit stretched to me, like the jeans don't fit so well any more...

Has somebody been caught screwin' around?

"I guess we'll reach some understanding,
    When we see what the future will bring."

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's all about money, no other reasoning required. is it really better at AT&T or Squint?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Don't see the money angle here. Not directly anyway. More a control issue. But, why?
    Is just pure arrogance?

Sprint's a helluva lot cheaper and its promises are better, at least.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    It was an official VZW Support Twitter feed that made the reply. So you are correct. I called them a hack, because I doubt the people doing replies on twitter are much different than your average support person you get in the store or on the phone as far as how well they kept informed on how to respond to such things. They SHOULD be, but I doubt they are not. It is widely understood you can easily get 3 different answers on such things by calling support lines 3 different times.

I do agree VZW should be a bit more aware and apologetic of confusion their twitter feed causes, but I have found MOST companies have issues with this as they have a few twitter feeds for different things and none really control the message being sent by those feeds really well. Pretty sure many are just staffed by pretty run of the mill support sorts rather than highly in tune marketing and communication sorts as they should be.

And I feel your point on the final message is related to the fact Samsung COULD probably get VZW in legal trouble if the reality of how such decisions on bootloader and such were to come out. VZW wants to make it sound like a mutual decision of the two firms and not something being forced on Samsung all hook or crook like as I am sure it really is. And I say this because I doubt Samsung would ever agree to sign anything really specific related to not selling their own version of a device. This then probably causes Verizon to make some sorta generic blackmail variety threats as far as what Sammy can expect of future business. It probably all goes down in a civil and nice way, but my guess is that this is the underlying tone of such things. There would probably be no legal issues, but my guess is that trying to force samsung to never sell their own version through some variety of threats is probably not totally legit if Sammy were to ever get really mad about such things and start some civil suit.

Nice angle on trying to see if samsung themselves would help get you into an unlocked device. That would REALLY annoy VZW if they were doing that and then feeding the unpreferred devices back to VZW to try and sell over and over again.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    In the absence of a formal and explicit retraction it remains a vzw corporate lie.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast