Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S III Release Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Don't see the money angle here. Not directly anyway. More a control issue. But, why?
    Is just pure arrogance?

Sprint's a helluva lot cheaper and its promises are better, at least.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    [From DX by HoFo app.]
    I think some of it is genuine fear they have to many customers who are going to be VERY stubborn about going down the pay for play per GB route. And if they can't get them to do that they don't want the ways in which to really tax that unlimited allowance TOO open. They can't just FORCE a different and more spendy regime on them either or they do start losing them in droves.

It's all a numbers thing though and is related more to fear about the future than today. Worried if they can't control "most" devices well that things will get out of hand eventually as everyone figures out straight forward ways to really exploit that unlimited stuffs. Seemingly there is even legal stuff related to throttling LTE that is on the TV spectrum or I figure they would have done that already as most of us wouldn't mind that TOO much and we were never really promised any real extreme speed, particularly if we first got unlimited data in 2g or 3g days.

Basically I feel it's a paranoia about future expansions of data use and wanting some control of that. If they had an easy way to get unlimited people off unlimited without really souring them and causing defections I think they would do it. I would be scared of a bunch of peeps with plans like mine for the unlimited lines. I eventually plan to make at least one of those home lines as I probably don't need unlimited for mobile use and could add a limited extra line for that. But since I have it basically I will be looking to exploit it as best I can since I feel I pay a plenty for the service I have and may as well utilize it well.

Feedback Score
    In the absence of a formal and explicit retraction it remains a vzw corporate lie.

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Well maybe, but if that is how you feel you can goto the local VZW store today later and ask 10 similar questions about VZW's stance on such matters and probably get atleast 5 more lies. In the end this isn't much different to me. Any company without great communication and public message regimes lies all the time in this sorta way, whether it's deliberate lies and misinformation is a totally different question.

Basically seems more like ineptitude than conspiracy/cover-up of something to me.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The Display in the browser "issue" is much ado bout nothing. Adjust the settings, boom, it's done so there is no real issue there. People just like to find a reason to complain.

The MAIN thing I don't like is the back cover. Not a fan of the "snap-on" battery/back cover cuzz it always feels to me like I'm gonna break it. I'm satisfied. Locked bootloader...yeah it sucks, but it is what it is.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    XDA will find a solution for the bootloader, I have confidence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fone sex View Post
    The Display in the browser "issue" is much ado bout nothing. Adjust the settings, boom, it's done so there is no real issue there. People just like to find a reason to complain.

The MAIN thing I don't like is the back cover. Not a fan of the "snap-on" battery/back cover cuzz it always feels to me like I'm gonna break it. I'm satisfied. Locked bootloader...yeah it sucks, but it is what it is.
    That seemed a bit odd all along. It's doubtful it's a real issue if it's only an issue in a couple apps. That's obviously an attempt by Samsung to try and game battery drain by crippling display output in the most used apps. TouchWiz is kinda setup as a common mail app that will do Gmail and all your others right? They probably figure that is where most will do their email stuffs. Well that and GMail might be locked up for such mods??

BTW, I have a couple posts you might want to check in the "vanquish" thread fone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    XDA will find a solution for the bootloader, I have confidence.
    Any "solution" they find will be enough of a "HACK" you will end up better off selling your VZW Version and using the money to get the dev one. Will be well worth any money lost or hassle to make the sale. That's what annoys me so much about the locking. You might not have as great a warranty with an officially unlockable device or a dev one like we have here, but you then don't have to put the device at as high a brick risk in the end to mod it anyhow.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Well maybe, but if that is how you feel you can goto the local VZW store today later and ask 10 similar questions about VZW's stance on such matters and probably get atleast 5 more lies. In the end this isn't much different to me. Any company without great communication and public message regimes lies all the time in this sorta way, whether it's deliberate lies and misinformation is a totally different question.

Basically seems more like ineptitude than conspiracy/cover-up of something to me.
    It's about scale and context. Vzw was called out in the blog press over this. It made what most have taken for an oblique response to the publicity and a correction. But it has yet to directly deny that Samsung requested the locks or state unequivocally that vzw itself is responsible. That's nor inept; that's choosing to let the lie lie. Arrogance, perhaps, or cowardice but not an oversight.

I'm saying that it is fair to assume that vzw corporate management is very aware of a public perception that persons employed by vzw to represent it to the public made statements that a significant element of the public considers to be patently false. Those statements were possibly, although I doubt it, due to ineptitude. But by refusing to either retract or disavow those statements vzw is consciously choosing to allow their substance and the perception of falsehood to persist.

If this were the kind of trivial twitter or in-store question you refer to, then yes, ignoring it is OK. But it's beyond that now; vzw has been broadly and publicly understood to have reacted to, but not retracted, the lie, vzw is not inept where PR is concerned, well maybe the arrogance is sorta inept, but this didn't slip through some crack. Therefore, the original statement stands as an uncorrected corporate lie.

I don't think we should be trying to brush that lie under the vzw boardroom rug.

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 07-12-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Feedback Score
    It's about scale and context. Vzw was called out in the blog press over this. It made what most have taken for an oblique response to the publicity and a correction. But it has yet to directly deny that Samsung requested the locks or state unequivocally that vzw itself is responsible.

Therefore it is fair to assume that vzw is aware of a public perception that persons employed by vzw to represent it to the public made statements that a significant element of the public considers to be patently false. By refusing to either retract or disavow those statements vzw is consciously choosing to allow their substance and the perception of falsehood to persist.

If this were the kind of trivial twitter or in-store question you refer to, then yes, ignoring it is OK. But it's beyond that; vzw has been broadly and publicly understood to have reacted to, but not retracted, the lie, vzw is not inept where PR is concerned, well maybe the arrogance is sorta inept, but this didn't slip through some crack. Therefore, the original statement stands as an uncorrected corporate lie.

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    I probably agree in a sense. But I am not sure I consider the blog press this has circulated through as all that significant an audience in the grand scheme. It is definitely big enough they should have probably went further to be explicit about their stance on locking up the most popular devices on their network as you are demanding though I suppose.

The Galaxy Nexus release stuffs showed a lot of this same sorta stuff going on behind the scenes. I am VERY convinced to THIS DAY that release was deliberately held up to try and give the RAZR the brunt of the Christmas sales season and basically handicap the total Galaxy Nexus sales over the devices lifetime in the sales channel. It's hard to say how effective it was, but it really seems that was the intent. They seem to be doing everything in their power to limit how many fully unlockable devices get registered on their network without going about an outright ban that would probably be harder to justify in the courts with the C-Block spectrum rules.

It makes perfect sense though why they wouldn't want to make a big public admittance to all of this though. Such a thing would probably get A LOT more press than just enthusiast blog variety press and possibly even create momentum for a more serious investigation by the FCC and such. I think pressure will eventually create a setup I can live with. As long as I can keep my current rates and buy some variety of unlocked devices for full price I will be OK with all this nonsense. I was worried that wouldn't even be an option much until I heard about this unlocked SIII option.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    We agree then? I will accept your explanation of why, but ...

GNex or SGSIII: VZW LIES!

Yeah, the whole argument is nonsense as long as it keeps hooking up Nexus phones and developer phones and Xooms, Tbolts, and Rezounds...

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Feedback Score
    We agree then? I will accept your explanation of why, but ...

GNex or SGSIII: VZW LIES!

Yeah, the whole argument is nonsense as long as it keeps hooking up Nexus phones and developer phones and Xooms, Tbolts, and Rezounds...

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Yeah, but I can't see them ever being transparent in the way you are asking as it would probably be too damaging to them.

Well if it's a numbers thing of unlocked ones though, the argument could be partially true. They intentionally tried to handicap sales of one and the rest were either never expected to be popular or were unlocked LONG LONG after release. Officially anyhow. At the end of the day it seems more like they are generally against it and definitely don't want to promote or embrace the practice at all, but have something forcing them to have to allow it here and there or risk problems with the relationships they have with their device partners and maybe even the FCC. Could be the device partners making the threats to goto the FCC for all we know as means to keep their customers happy.

Motorola annoys me the most as they seemingly like locking things up as much or more than VZW with all the noncarrier sponsored sim-unlocked devices they have locked up and offered no unlock options for. With only a special done hard to find Dev RAZR as an outlier that probably only exists for PR reasons.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With these last several posts, is Verizon going to get an unlocked new Nexus phone which is not at full retail?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    With these last several posts, is Verizon going to get an unlocked new Nexus phone which is not at full retail?
    Not likely, but I think the likelyhood of a Google sold full retail Nexus that maybe works on all 4 big networks, but isn't compatible with all their LTE stuff is quite likely. Qualcomm may even be close enough to an AT&T and VZW LTE device that could happen with the next Nexus. This SGSIII Dev is effectively a 4 network device with only VZW LTE already if Sprint uses an LTE/CDMA SIM setup that is hardware compatible with VZW. Wouldn't even need to be software compatible with VZW since it's a Dev device and that could be changed.

Feedback Score
    The S3 is a terrific phone that has been fff'd up by VZW. Locked bootloader = fffing lame. Constant WiFi notification = TOTALLY fffing LAME!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
    The S3 is a terrific phone that has been fff'd up by VZW. Locked bootloader = fffing lame. Constant WiFi notification = TOTALLY fffing LAME!!!!
    Get subsidized, sell, and then buy unlocked version from Samsung.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Get subsidized, sell, and then buy unlocked version from Samsung.
    That means you spend at least $200 to fix what VZW broke.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast