Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S III Release Thread

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
    That means you spend at least $200 to fix what VZW broke.
    But you spend $200 for the phone anyhow right? So if you sell one at retail after an upgrade ($200) for $600, then buy the dev edition for $600 you are still spending $200 on a phone.

Am I missing something in the math here? $200 is $200.

Played with this quite a bit at work, I like it, but not enough to use an upgrade on it. I think capacitive and the hardware buttons are step back from the Nexus, and it isn't something I really like.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy_JK View Post
    But you spend $200 for the phone anyhow right? So if you sell one at retail after an upgrade ($200) for $600, then buy the dev edition for $600 you are still spending $200 on a phone.

Am I missing something in the math here? $200 is $200.

Played with this quite a bit at work, I like it, but not enough to use an upgrade on it. I think capacitive and the hardware buttons are step back from the Nexus, and it isn't something I really like.
    Yeah. If you do well on ebay it should be a wash on cost other than extra effort. Might be out like $100 more bucks at most if you have an ebay FAIL with a cheap listing that you just let bid up.

I would be happier with all touch buttons than the on screen of nexus for effective screen size reasons. The physical would be annoying, but not a huge deal. Until there is almost no bottom bezel at all I figure that area of glass may as well get used.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't know anything about actual cell coding, so what will keep developers from using the developer edition's code to unlock Verizon's edition?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    By the time the development phone comes out, the original vould have custom ROMs plus other phones will be out. Unless every VZW phone is going to be locked down...

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    I would be happier with all touch buttons than the on screen of nexus for effective screen size reasons. The physical would be annoying, but not a huge deal. Until there is almost no bottom bezel at all I figure that area of glass may as well get used.
    +1 QFT

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    By the time the development phone comes out, the original vould have custom ROMs plus other phones will be out. Unless every VZW phone is going to be locked down...
    But no custom kernels for the SCH-i535.

Vzw Sammies were mostly unlocked -- 'til this one. Ditto HTCs, til the 'One' series. The new HTC is the one to tell the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortSxit View Post
    I don't know anything about actual cell coding, so what will keep developers from using the developer edition's code to unlock Verizon's edition?
    @Jasaero -- possible? It's encrypted like the Motos, right? So it won't help?

Perspective instantiates reality.
    [From DX by HoFo app.]
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 07-13-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I just received mine today (Pebble Blue), and have noticed a pinkish hue/tint on the bottom of the screen (starting at the bottom of the screen and going up about an inch). This is typically noticeable when the background is white, for example, in the web browser. If this is something that others are experiencing, I'd rather save myself the trouble of exchanging it. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone seen any other quality control issues with their phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    @Jasaero -- possible? It's encrypted like the Motos, right? So it won't help?

[From DX by HoFo app.]
    Pretty much. Once the BL's are encrypted as this one is they become a real PITA to get loose(not sure any that are have??). Not familiar with encryption technology at all, but there is a key that the code in the BL must report(or encryption signature or whatever) to get the device to run the code and start the boot process essentially rather than actual encrypted code. So just having the BL code is more or less of NO use if you can't somehow get this key/signature somehow. And there may even be some odd device specific aspect to this key/signature.

Obviously I'm not that well versed on the specifics, but my impression is having an identical unlockable device is not of much help more than likely as it's all meant to be very secure. My guess is even if the unlockable one still uses some signature or encryption somehow that it will be very difficult to snoop. Probably doesn't even bother with that though for fear of such snooping that would compromise the locked ones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by piggys View Post
    Ok, I just received mine today (Pebble Blue), and have noticed a pinkish hue/tint on the bottom of the screen (starting at the bottom of the screen and going up about an inch). This is typically noticeable when the background is white, for example, in the web browser. If this is something that others are experiencing, I'd rather save myself the trouble of exchanging it. Thanks!
    I do not have this, but have you had or checked out lots of AMOLED devices? Stuff like this is not uncommon in them from my experience, but depending on the severity and/or your sensitivity to it, I am sure you could get it replaced.

Does it get better/less noticeable with higher brightness levels? Most anomalies like this on AMOLED do and if it still seems pretty bad at high brightness settings I would go ahead and try to return it.

My galaxy nexus has all sorts of odd patterns in flat white at near minimum brightness, but they go away at the sorts of brightnesses I like using it at most of the time so I have never concerned myself with it much.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Pretty much. Once the BL's are encrypted as this one is they become a real PITA to get loose(not sure any that are have??). Not familiar with encryption technology at all, but there is a key that the code in the BL must report(or encryption signature or whatever) to get the device to run the code and start the boot process essentially rather than actual encrypted code. So just having the BL code is more or less of NO use if you can't somehow get this key/signature somehow. And there may even be some odd device specific aspect to this key/signature.

Obviously I'm not that well versed on the specifics, but my impression is having an identical unlockable device is not of much help more than likely as it's all meant to be very secure. My guess is even if the unlockable one still uses some signature or encryption somehow that it will be very difficult to snoop. Probably doesn't even bother with that though for fear of such snooping that would compromise the locked ones.
    Crap. Not the answer I wanted to hear at all.

Feedback Score
    Not really. Maybe $0-100 at MOST.
    don't forget to account for your time with

1 - ordering the VZW galaxy S3
    2 - selling the VZW galaxy S3
    3 - ordering the Dev galaxy S3

not to mention what happens if you get an S3 with any problems

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I got in my demo unit today, and will be doing two reviews:
    Galaxy S III vs Droid Razr Maxx
    Galaxy S III vs Rezound

I've only used it a short time (had to charge the battery first) but it's already down to like 80%, so it does use a lot. Maybe it has to be charged/drained a few times to condition the battery.

First impressions, it's big, but not uncomfortable to hold. Screen is nice, good colors, but not as bright as the Razr Maxx and Rezound.
    Took some pictures, Rezound looks sharper, but has over saturated colors. Galaxy S III is more natural colors, but not as sharp. Razr Maxx has dull colors, almost washed out.

Not sure which one of the 3 I like best overall, but the battery on the Maxx is one of it's main features that the Rezound and Galaxy S III can't touch.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm just now seeing your reply; thanks! I went ahead and went into the store and one of the representatives there could see it, too. He also mentioned something about the Nexus screen. He said he had a Nexus and the first one he received had a yellowish tint on the screen. He was able to tell the discolored portion on mine, and the phone was exchanged. I'm SO glad to say that the "new new" one seems to be ok

I do not have this, but have you had or checked out lots of AMOLED devices? Stuff like this is not uncommon in them from my experience, but depending on the severity and/or your sensitivity to it, I am sure you could get it replaced.

Does it get better/less noticeable with higher brightness levels? Most anomalies like this on AMOLED do and if it still seems pretty bad at high brightness settings I would go ahead and try to return it.

My galaxy nexus has all sorts of odd patterns in flat white at near minimum brightness, but they go away at the sorts of brightnesses I like using it at most of the time so I have never concerned myself with it much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
    don't forget to account for your time with

1 - ordering the VZW galaxy S3
    2 - selling the VZW galaxy S3
    3 - ordering the Dev galaxy S3

not to mention what happens if you get an S3 with any problems
    Not going to argue with anything related to hassle and time. That aspect royally sucks, but the Dev version atleast will exist and seemingly may be the first device EVER that will have ZERO VZW influence as far as marketing, bloatware, and software updates and the like go, and ALSO be a SIM unlocked multinetwork device. It is just something I was skeptical would ever happen in general with the more or less dead from a consumer standpoint aspect of VZW's open device program that was supposed to make such devices happen, but was more a PR stunt and only allowed for commercial devices for business customers in the end.

Basically I feel your pain, but there is something VERY unique about this SIII Dev device that I don't think people are fully getting just yet. If VZW will never touch or have anything to do with the sale of it I can't see how they will have any say in it's official software updates. It could end the whole "Leaked" initial builds of some new android version from OEMs on VZW that end up being the FINAL build like a month or MORE later. So long as you have this Dev device they will probably hit it officially as soon as they are Final from Samsung's perspective rather than VZW's. That's just part of it though as the fact it will probably work on AT&T also is unique. Basically the part about it just being a dev oriented and unlockable VZW device direct from Samsung with no subsidy available I think is only the minor part of the story.

I also think it alludes to related things we will see happen with the next Nexus smartphone that most are just not talking about much. The big story is there will be several, but I am thinking a bigger story will be that they will all be SIM unlocked and work on all 4 networks. I could be wrong, but something about the way this Dev SIII is a samsung exclusive deal suggests that too me as there is something about it that make it a no no to even third parties apparently. My guess is Samsung got it OKed, but 3rd party retailers are being told, YOU BETTER NOT, by VZW. We'll see, would be interesting if it hits most normal nonVZW retail channels somehow also. Doubtful that would happen though as VZW has a lot of control of such channels that are selling VZW stuffs.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast