Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S III Release Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by piggys View Post
    I'm just now seeing your reply; thanks! I went ahead and went into the store and one of the representatives there could see it, too. He also mentioned something about the Nexus screen. He said he had a Nexus and the first one he received had a yellowish tint on the screen. He was able to tell the discolored portion on mine, and the phone was exchanged. I'm SO glad to say that the "new new" one seems to be ok
    Yep. AMOLED is really nice in a lot of ways, but it has some pretty odd variance sorta issue it seems. The O does mean Organic. That usually doesn't point toward a compound you can make exactly the same consistently so I guess it might make sense this is almost an "attribute" of AMOLED.

Can you see atleast a very faint pattern at minimum brightness on white backgrounds with the "good" "new new" device? They seem to just be hard to control variations in brightness of the tiny little LEDs, but are imperceptible at all but the lowest brightness levels.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    I got in my demo unit today, and will be doing two reviews:
    Galaxy S III vs Droid Razr Maxx
    Galaxy S III vs Rezound

I've only used it a short time (had to charge the battery first) but it's already down to like 80%, so it does use a lot. Maybe it has to be charged/drained a few times to condition the battery.

First impressions, it's big, but not uncomfortable to hold. Screen is nice, good colors, but not as bright as the Razr Maxx and Rezound.
    Took some pictures, Rezound looks sharper, but has over saturated colors. Galaxy S III is more natural colors, but not as sharp. Razr Maxx has dull colors, almost washed out.

Not sure which one of the 3 I like best overall, but the battery on the Maxx is one of it's main features that the Rezound and Galaxy S III can't touch.
    FAUguy, it is about time you got it. I will be awaiting your reviews.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Not going to argue with anything related to hassle and time. That aspect royally sucks, but the Dev version atleast will exist and seemingly may be the first device EVER that will have ZERO VZW influence as far as marketing, bloatware, and software updates and the like go, and ALSO be a SIM unlocked multinetwork device. It is just something I was skeptical would ever happen in general with the more or less dead from a consumer standpoint aspect of VZW's open device program that was supposed to make such devices happen, but was more a PR stunt and only allowed for commercial devices for business customers in the end.

Basically I feel your pain, but there is something VERY unique about this SIII Dev device that I don't think people are fully getting just yet. If VZW will never touch or have anything to do with the sale of it I can't see how they will have any say in it's official software updates. It could end the whole "Leaked" initial builds of some new android version from OEMs on VZW that end up being the FINAL build like a month or MORE later. So long as you have this Dev device they will probably hit it officially as soon as they are Final from Samsung's perspective rather than VZW's. That's just part of it though as the fact it will probably work on AT&T also is unique. Basically the part about it just being a dev oriented and unlockable VZW device direct from Samsung with no subsidy available I think is only the minor part of the story.

I also think it alludes to related things we will see happen with the next Nexus smartphone that most are just not talking about much. The big story is there will be several, but I am thinking a bigger story will be that they will all be SIM unlocked and work on all 4 networks. I could be wrong, but something about the way this Dev SIII is a samsung exclusive deal suggests that too me as there is something about it that make it a no no to even third parties apparently. My guess is Samsung got it OKed, but 3rd party retailers are being told, YOU BETTER NOT, by VZW. We'll see, would be interesting if it hits most normal nonVZW retail channels somehow also. Doubtful that would happen though as VZW has a lot of control of such channels that are selling VZW stuffs.
    I may be seeing the benefits of this phone. How could we be certain that it completely supports Verizon's LTE/CDMA bands?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    I got in my demo unit today, and will be doing two reviews:
    Galaxy S III vs Droid Razr Maxx
    Galaxy S III vs Rezound

Not sure which one of the 3 I like best overall, but the battery on the Maxx is one of it's main features that the Rezound and Galaxy S III can't touch.
    OTOH, MAXX is limited to just that one *huge* battery. SGSIII and Rezound both accept larger replacement batteries and allow the option of carrying spares that are much less cumbersome than a self-contained charger or power pack.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    [From DX by HoFo app.]
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No complaints about the hardware so far. The curved edges help to take the sting out of the extreme size of the phone, and it feels very well put together. Voice quality is great and data speeds very good, except there are times when Verizon's already overloaded 4G on the north side of Chicago bogs down almost to the theoretical limit of 3G. (Not on the south side, though . . . I've had 35 megabits down)

The software is a different story. Basic applications from Google are missing functionality that I counted on in Android 2.x. There's some weird behavior in the browser and maps application on ICS 4.0.4 (maps, at certain zoom settings, is missing bike directions in certain squares on the map), but the real atrocities come with the email applications and text message application, where they have driven a wrecking ball through some good 2.2.x features. For example, there's no longer a pair of buttons at the top of the page on Gmail or Mail to flip back and forth through emails. The text message app is garish and the text too big. And when typing in text, while the old Droid would generate punctuation marks at the top of the keyboard when you hit space and then auto-space the punctuation behind the space, the Samsung app fails to do that, leaving you with several extra actions or else an extra space and the punctuation mark sitting on its own between spaces. I seriously hope these will be fixed with Jelly Bean; it's extremely frustrating when previous functionality you've counted on for almost three years suddenly goes away.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What will be the designation of the developer phone?

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    So far I'm not enjoying the Samsung QWERTY keyboard layout on it. The on screen buttons are small, and the text prediction is horrid!

For LTE RF, the Rezound is still best showing-98dB in my bedroom and can stay connected. The Max is -112dB and likes to change between 4G and 3G every few minutes, which disrupts the data connection. The SGS III shows -114dB but stays locked to 4G better than the Maxx and doesn't disrupt the data. If I take all three outside, the Samsung was getting the fastest download speeds, followed by the Motorola and then HTC.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    FAUguy the solution is to download a better keyboard? Is the SIII an indicator that the reception has improved over past phonez?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    FAUguy the solution is to download a better keyboard? Is the SIII an indicator that the reception has improved over past phonez?
    In another thread its claimed to be better than Nexus if you are referring to past Samsung phones.

FAUguy, you said the Maxx can't hold 4g in one spot well, but really didn't state the speeds there. Guessing due to the Maxx never completing with all LTE, but would be curious if the SIII is in fact slower than Rezound due to the weaker signal or not.

Feedback Score
    Oh and do the rezound and SIII have the same Qualcomm modem of is the SIII the new 28nm modem?

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I know that with the Galaxy Nexus, as soon as I'd walk into the house, it would drop 4G and go to 3G.
    So in that regard, the SGSIII is better, as it's not dropping.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    FAUguy, you said the Maxx can't hold 4g in one spot well, but really didn't state the speeds there. Guessing due to the Maxx never completing with all LTE, but would be curious if the SIII is in fact slower than Rezound due to the weaker signal or not.
    I had all three phones outside last night at 1am to do a 4G speed test and check their RF....
    SGS III got 14.29 Mbps down and 7.26 Mbps up, with a RF of -95 dBm.
    HTC Rezound got 7.80 Mbps down and 4.59 Mbps up, with an RF of -87 dBm.
    Motorola Razr Maxx got 7.90 Mbps down and 3.77 Mbps up, with an RF of -92 dBm.
    I ran the speedtest 5 times on each phone, and those posted above was the fastest of the 5 runs.
    So for outside, the fastest was the SGS III, but the Rezound did have the better RF.

Then if I have the phones in my bedroom (right now at 1:30am the following night).....
    SGS III got 13.22 Mbps down and 2.07 Mbps up, with an RF of -112 to -116 dBm.
    Rezound got 7.05 Mbps down and 1.44 Mbps up, with an RF of -94 to -98 dBm.
    Razr Maxx got 7.50 Mbps down and 1.21 Mbps up, with an RF of -109 to -112 dBm.
    My issue in the house is that the Razr like to change from 4G to 3G when the signal gets lower than -112 or so, then after a couple minutes will go back to 4G, back-and-forth. The Rezound stays locked to 4G in the house, the SGS III is mostly locked to 4G, but I did see it occasionally go to 3G in the house, but not as often as the Razr.

So, from this I can say that the Rezound does has the best LTE RF in the group, and even though the speedtest results aren't the highest, it has the advantage of staying locked to 4G. The SGS III has the fastest speedtest results, but the poorest LTE RF, even though it doesn't drop to 3G as often as the Razr.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note5, iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon $80 promotional plan (main), T-Mobile ($30 plan), GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I'd love to get a quad core Exynos developer edition with the Exynos 4412/MDM9615 combo. That would be amazing.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What is the determining factor for droping from 4G to 3G: signal strength or some other criterion?

Feedback Score
    What is the determining factor for droping from 4G to 3G: signal strength or some other criterion?
    This is probably all tuning of the modems taking into account battery draw and various other things and is also probably proprietary exactly how each OEM handles this. I would guess though they all probably have advantages and disadvantages to their approaches, it's probably not something they want to share as each approach. It's all going to end up totally different anyhow as they each have different 3g and 4g antenna capabilities also.

I am sorta confused how the SGSIII can have such a weak signal compared to the ReZound and Maxx and still pull so much more data. Everyone seems to be suggesting the MDM9615 in any phones yet, which would seem to suggest only the app processor is 28nm with this S4 setup and that the SIII is using the same MDM9600 the ReZound probably has. Would be curious to see the SIII tested against the Incredible 4G though which should have the same S4 setup pretty much, but probably more similar to ReZound antenna setup and such.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast