Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S III Release Thread

Feedback Score
    And a Bonus! The dev device is 32gb for $600 so 50 bones less than the VZW one if you don't want to sign a new contract anyhow and if you got a 32gb from VZW already this is the proper replacement. Think the 32gb VZW version should easily sell for $600 nib. Still no word on ship date, but the order/info page suggests it's not too far off.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/15...n-pebble-blue/

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    And a Bonus! The dev device is 32gb for $600 so 50 bones less than the VZW one if you don't want to sign a new contract anyhow and if you got a 32gb from VZW already this is the proper replacement. Think the 32gb VZW version should easily sell for $600 nib. Still no word on ship date, but the order/info page suggests it's not too far off.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/15...n-pebble-blue/
    It does say 32GB here:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...BCVZW-features

But under specs it says 16GB, probably a misprint:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...35MBCVZW-specs
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Who is going to order one? I am holding out for some "Notes" but the DE phone is still under consideration.
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Veriz...-S-III_id32281
    Does this change anyones mind?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    Who is going to order one? I am holding out for some "Notes" but the DE phone is still under consideration.
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Veriz...-S-III_id32281
    Does this change anyones mind?
    I think this is confused lay people sales and support staff not really communicating well about the dev phone if you want to know the truth. DL asked Samsung and they knew nothing about such a software update.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    It does say 32GB here:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...BCVZW-features

But under specs it says 16GB, probably a misprint:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...35MBCVZW-specs
    Yeah, 32gb is listed in several places on the page.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think this is confused lay people sales and support staff not really communicating well about the dev phone if you want to know the truth. DL asked Samsung and they knew nothing about such a software update.
    So, there will be no update for the Verizon phone to unlock the bootloader/

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    So with a fully charged battery, was able to get 8 hours of talk time.
    But on a full charge and using home WiFi, after 2 solid hours of web browsing the battery is down to 70%, and that is with the Auto Brightness settings. So that's like 15% an hour of battery life just for WiFi web browsing. And I think WiFi uses less battery power than 4G.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I thought 3G was less poer than WiFI. 4G is not?

Feedback Score
    So, there will be no update for the Verizon phone to unlock the bootloader/
    No way to know for sure. So far it's only been VZW support and sales people claiming this. They can be QUITE unreliable and getting info from very unofficial or flat wrong sources much of the time.

Feedback Score
    I thought 3G was less poer than WiFI. 4G is not?
    Not 100% sure, but think wifi is less power than either normally. I assume this only because it's only design for very short and very low power transmittal whereas 3G and 4G are more long distance and licensed power levels. No clue if for some reason wifi radios in phones actually use more power for some odd reasons I am not aware, but I don't THINK that should be the case.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

LED Notificiations

Ok...here's another thing I have noticed...I have ALL LED notifications turned off on my phone (under "settings" and then "LED indicator"). Yet it's still blinking blue when I have a "missed event" (text, call, etc). Has anyone else experienced this? Or would someone else mind testing it from their phone?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note5, iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon $80 promotional plan (main), T-Mobile ($30 plan), GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    This is probably all tuning of the modems taking into account battery draw and various other things and is also probably proprietary exactly how each OEM handles this. I would guess though they all probably have advantages and disadvantages to their approaches, it's probably not something they want to share as each approach. It's all going to end up totally different anyhow as they each have different 3g and 4g antenna capabilities also.

I am sorta confused how the SGSIII can have such a weak signal compared to the ReZound and Maxx and still pull so much more data. Everyone seems to be suggesting the MDM9615 in any phones yet, which would seem to suggest only the app processor is 28nm with this S4 setup and that the SIII is using the same MDM9600 the ReZound probably has. Would be curious to see the SIII tested against the Incredible 4G though which should have the same S4 setup pretty much, but probably more similar to ReZound antenna setup and such.
    The MSM8960 integrates everything the MDM9615 has on chip. It's all part of the SoC, which is a really solid package.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    The MSM8960 integrates everything the MDM9615 has on chip. It's all part of the SoC, which is a really solid package.
    I didn't realize this. That's kinda interesting. So did the S3 in the ReZound do this, but at 45nm with a more similar to MDM9600 integrated and only the LTE part being broken off? Seems MDM9600 is one chip for most stuff and LTE in a separate chip if I am not mistaken??

Also, I guess going to quadcore is too much? As I am pretty sure the Quadcore Krait stuff is being listed with separate processor and MDM9615 in most devices that are going to use it?

Just looked this all up. Pretty interesting as it seems MSM8960 with all the capability of the MDM9615 was available BEFORE the MDM9615 apparently. That's crafty of Qualcomm! Even if the Krait weren't the best choice for app processor as it probably is this effectively forced everyone to goto a more or less complete Qualcomm setup if they wanted to get the most power efficient modem available. Wonder if the chip is just too big with quadcore to make it a single package or if they split off quadcore krait mostly due to it being targeted at more nonCellular stuffs??

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Should I expect Krait plus JB in the phones coming out September and later?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Email

Ok, I've got yet another one regarding email. I've noticed when I set up my Yahoo account through the default email app on the phone, there are MAJOR sync issues. Emails that have been deleted appear in the inbox. Emails that have been sent to my Yahoo account are taking forever to appear. It's as though there is some sort of syncing problem. I tried the Yahoo Mail app through the Play Store and there doesn't appear to be a sync issue there, but every time I receive an email, the LED on my phone turns yellow and stays solid yellow until I unlock the phone, even though I have the LED notifications turned off (which is another issue I posted about - the LED indicator still blinking blue when I have a "missed event," even though I have all LED notifications turned off under settings).

Help!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast