Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: HTC DROID DNA 6435LVW Pre-Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...terfly-126523/

Japanese version vs. GNote II.

No SD. No for me.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Yep. Seems this is confirmed for the 20th, and also confirms why the poor folks that have to stay with Verizon are having to wait until the 27-29th for the Note 2.

I still struggle to understand how this helps Verizon? This is priced $100 less and will have a lot more spendy marketing campaign from VZW's perspective to get it to sell well. It's almost like they are able to squeeze HTC and Motorola on the price of these droids pretty hard, but are no longer able to do so with Samsung so are forced to just mess with their release date and branding and such instead.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I understand VZW marketing less over time. Why delay the Note 2 when it really does not compete that much with the DNA?
    I would have preferred a simultaneous release to compare both phones at the same time.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Yep. Seems this is confirmed for the 20th, and also confirms why the poor folks that have to stay with Verizon are having to wait until the 27-29th for the Note 2.

I still struggle to understand how this helps Verizon? This is priced $100 less and will have a lot more spendy marketing campaign from VZW's perspective to get it to sell well. It's almost like they are able to squeeze HTC and Motorola on the price of these droids pretty hard, but are no longer able to do so with Samsung so are forced to just mess with their release date and branding and such instead.
    A big part of it is that the DNA is an exclusive for Verizon and the Note 2 isn't. By releasing the DNA ahead of the Note 2, and by having a larger marketing campaign for the DNA, Verizon is pushing a device that you can only get on their network. The DNA is a cutting edge phone that's only on Verizon while the Note 2 is a cutting edge phone that's on all major carriers. If they do a lot of advertising for the Note 2, it could potentially push some people to getting the device on a different network. So for Verizon, there isn't much point in doing a lot of marketing themselves for the Note 2, especially when Samsung is doing a ton of advertising for it on their own. Verizon did the same thing when the S III was released. They did very little marketing for it and continued to push their exclusives like the RAZR and RAZR MAXX. With a big exclusive, which the DNA will likely be, there's also much more money tied up in having the device for Verizon, so they want to make sure to give it the spotlight both in advertising and in price. A major advertising push and a lower price will make the DNA more attractive than the Note 2 for a lot of people, and they'll sell more units that way (which is exactly what Verizon wants). From that point of view, the timing of the releases, as well as the differences in pricing, make a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    I understand VZW marketing less over time. Why delay the Note 2 when it really does not compete that much with the DNA?
    I would have preferred a simultaneous release to compare both phones at the same time.
    The Note 2 does compete directly with the DNA in that it's a phone with a larger than normal screen and cutting edge specs. While Verizon will carry the Note 2, the DNA is going to be one of the major focuses of their marketing for the holiday season because it's an exclusive device. They have a lot more tied up from a financial standpoint in the DNA, and since it can potentially bring new customers to Verizon (something the Note 2 isn't as likely to do because you can get it on any major carrier), giving it a head start makes perfect sense from a business standpoint.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...terfly-126523/

Japanese version vs. GNote II.

No SD. No for me.
    Yeah, the only way I'd even consider the DNA over the Note 2 is if it had a microSD slot and a removable battery, neither of which look likely. However, the One X didn't have a microSD slot, but Sprint's variant, the Evo 4G LTE, actually did have one. So while I doubt the DNA will, I guess it could possibly sneak its way in. But even if it did, the non-removable battery isn't something I care for, and I'm really looking forward to the S-Pen on the Note 2 (something the DNA won't be able to match at all).
    Last edited by bsweetness; 11-11-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Current lineup: Galaxy Note 2, MotoActv

Previous smartphones: Galaxy S3, One X, Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Galaxy Note, iPhone 4S, Droid Bionic, Stratosphere, Droid Charge, Vitality, Droid Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Droid Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: Transformer Pad TF300, Evo View 4G, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The phone is now verizon's droid does site. It says to join their google+ hangout on 11/19 to see the unboxing of the Droid DNA

www.droiddoes.com
    Vzw Phones: Droid DNA(Soon), Rezound(Current), Droid Charge(Sold), Palm Pre Plus(sold), Blackberry Curve(current backup), vx9900(sold), vx8700(retired), Q(retired/sold), vx8500(sold), vx8000(Sold), vx8100(Sold), v710(retired), vx5200(retired), a610(retired), vx3200(retired), old audiovox phone(retired), vx9800(sold)
    ======================================

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    A big part of it is that the DNA is an exclusive for Verizon and the Note 2 isn't. By releasing the DNA ahead of the Note 2, and by having a larger marketing campaign for the DNA, Verizon is pushing a device that you can only get on their network. The DNA is a cutting edge phone that's only on Verizon while the Note 2 is a cutting edge phone that's on all major carriers. If they do a lot of advertising for the Note 2, it could potentially push some people to getting the device on a different network. So for Verizon, there isn't much point in doing a lot of marketing themselves for the Note 2, especially when Samsung is doing a ton of advertising for it on their own. Verizon did the same thing when the S III was released. They did very little marketing for it and continued to push their exclusives like the RAZR and RAZR MAXX. With a big exclusive, which the DNA will likely be, there's also much more money tied up in having the device for Verizon, so they want to make sure to give it the spotlight both in advertising and in price. A major advertising push and a lower price will make the DNA more attractive than the Note 2 for a lot of people, and they'll sell more units that way (which is exactly what Verizon wants). From that point of view, the timing of the releases, as well as the differences in pricing, make a lot more sense.
    This may seem like a great plan if you assume your customers are stuck on your network. This plan forced me to the OTHER networks that were willing to release the Note II in a more expedient fashion rather than trying to release some random exclusive first. HTC is the one that is really dumb in all of this. Well them and Moto for always doing this. They should be pushing device lines on all 4 networks also. What would VZW do if LG or some other lower tier vendor was the only one willing to build them an exclusive????

Yeah, the only way I'd even consider the DNA over the Note 2 is if it had a microSD slot and a removable battery, neither of which look likely. However, the One X didn't have a microSD slot, but Sprint's variant, the Evo 4G LTE, actually did have one. So while I doubt the DNA will, I guess it could possibly sneak its way in. But even if it did, the non-removable battery isn't something I care for, and I'm really looking forward to the S-Pen on the Note 2 (something the DNA won't be able to match at all).
    J Butterfly apparently has mSD, so many are suspecting this will since it seems to be a direct derivative.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This may seem like a great plan if you assume your customers are stuck on your network. This plan forced me to the OTHER networks that were willing to release the Note II in a more expedient fashion rather than trying to release some random exclusive first. HTC is the one that is really dumb in all of this. Well them and Moto for always doing this. They should be pushing device lines on all 4 networks also. What would VZW do if LG or some other lower tier vendor was the only one willing to build them an exclusive???
    Leaving Verizon due to the fact that they're releasing the Note 2 a month later than most carriers is an exception to the rule though. Verizon is betting that current customers who really want the Note 2 will be willing to wait a little bit longer, especially since they've put it up for pre-order to let people know it's coming. And I'd say that's a pretty safe bet for Verizon to make. By releasing the exclusive first, they're not only trying to give it an edge with current customers, but they're advertising an exclusive device that people who are not on Verizon might be interested in owning. And that's the big thing - putting the focus on a device that you can only get on Verizon in the U.S. That can bring in new customers along with maintaining current ones. A few might leave over that, but the overwhelming majority won't. It may not be the best thing for consumers as far as choice goes, but it definitely makes good business sense for Verizon to place the focus on a device that not only will appeal to many current customers, but also to many non-Verizon customers.

I definitely agree about HTC though. After releasing a stellar product in the One X, they've continued to see their profits decline, and that's due in part to releasing several devices as exclusives. One would think that they would have learned from Samsung's success with the Galaxy line how pushing devices through all major carriers is the best route. But regrettably, carriers (particularly in the U.S.) still have a massive amount of influence, and carriers want exclusive devices that could potentially draw in new customers away from other carriers.

J Butterfly apparently has mSD, so many are suspecting this will since it seems to be a direct derivative.
    I made that comment in response to TC_Mits' post above that links to a chart which says the J Butterfly doesn't have a microSD card slot. But you're right, the J Butterfly does have a microSD card slot. Hopefully the DNA retains it since, like you said, it's a version of the J Butterfly. But HTC did release some versions of the One X without a microSD card slot and some with a microSD card slot, so it could potentially go either way.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    https://plus.google.com/+verizon/posts

So it does look like the 20th is the launch date so it can get out for Thanksgiving.

John will be at the pres event in NY tomorrow when it should make an appearance.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I too hope the DNA has a memory card slot.
    But still it seems like the only thing to set it apart is the 5" 1080p display. The Note 2 has the stylus and the extra software functionality. Without using either one yet, I'm thinking the Note 2 might be the all-around better phablet. But for those needing more of a "phone" than a "tablet" the DNA might be a better choice. We know the screen will be amazing, but I'm wondering which one does better with 4G signal reception, camera quality, battery life.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    I too hope the DNA has a memory card slot.
    But still it seems like the only thing to set it apart is the 5" 1080p display. The Note 2 has the stylus and the extra software functionality. Without using either one yet, I'm thinking the Note 2 might be the all-around better phablet. But for those needing more of a "phone" than a "tablet" the DNA might be a better choice. We know the screen will be amazing, but I'm wondering which one does better with 4G signal reception, camera quality, battery life.
    Agreed on all counts.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Also bootloader status. There was speculation that bootloader issues could have been a reason the "One" series never make it to vzw.

So, HTC has been vocal about unlocking its bootloaders. Vzw has been adamant of late about locking down all bootloaders.

Who blinks?
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 11-12-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Feedback Score
    Leaving Verizon due to the fact that they're releasing the Note 2 a month later than most carriers is an exception to the rule though. Verizon is betting that current customers who really want the Note 2 will be willing to wait a little bit longer, especially since they've put it up for pre-order to let people know it's coming. And I'd say that's a pretty safe bet for Verizon to make. By releasing the exclusive first, they're not only trying to give it an edge with current customers, but they're advertising an exclusive device that people who are not on Verizon might be interested in owning. And that's the big thing - putting the focus on a device that you can only get on Verizon in the U.S. That can bring in new customers along with maintaining current ones. A few might leave over that, but the overwhelming majority won't. It may not be the best thing for consumers as far as choice goes, but it definitely makes good business sense for Verizon to place the focus on a device that not only will appeal to many current customers, but also to many non-Verizon customers.

I definitely agree about HTC though. After releasing a stellar product in the One X, they've continued to see their profits decline, and that's due in part to releasing several devices as exclusives. One would think that they would have learned from Samsung's success with the Galaxy line how pushing devices through all major carriers is the best route. But regrettably, carriers (particularly in the U.S.) still have a massive amount of influence, and carriers want exclusive devices that could potentially draw in new customers away from other carriers.
    No clue on the numbers, but agree it's not huge. I know of atleast a few, including myself for sure though. The numbers WILL grow with such behavior though as other networks become more competitive. TMo's deals with AT&T going forward, along with their huge AWS spectrum swath in some huge markets will not be allowed to go unnoticed if I can help it.

HTC and Moto need to learn to refuse these alluring deals and they will be better off. And LG for that matter Leave such nonsense to the Chinese firms.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast