Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roaming. How are incoming calls charged?

Feedback Score

Roaming. How are incoming calls charged?

Wondering if anyone had real world (not hypothetical) experience with domestic (within the US) roaming on PP. 2 Questions:

1) Does SMS work fine (presumably without a surcharge)?

2) Are you charged any surcharge for an INCOMING call? By surcharge, I mean something other than what you would pay if you were not roaming.

Feedback Score
    I don't know about SMS, but all calls either incoming or outgoing while roaming is charged at the Roaming rate which is either .29 cents, or .20 cents per minute (depends on the plan you're on). So if you're on a monthly plan and you don't have a cash balance than you will not be able to roam.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ngnetzky View Post
    I don't know about SMS, but all calls either incoming or outgoing while roaming is charged at the Roaming rate which is either .29 cents, or .20 cents per minute (depends on the plan you're on). So if you're on a monthly plan and you don't have a cash balance than you will not be able to roam.
    About the incoming calls: may I ask if you're speaking from actual experience?

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't have real world experience with this, but Page Plus gives all calling rate information (including roaming) on their website. Look closely at the page for whichever plan you use, and you will see the roaming rate. For example, the Standard Plan.

See also: Page Plus official roaming FAQ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkwyde View Post
    I don't have real world experience with this, but Page Plus gives all calling rate information (including roaming) on their website. Look closely at the page for whichever plan you use, and you will see the roaming rate. For example, the Standard Plan.

See also: Page Plus official roaming FAQ
    Thanks for the links ... believe me I've looked at them and find they don't answer my question. The FAQ you mention says, "Roaming occurs when you initiate a call outside of your network’s coverage area. Typically an indicator will appear on your phone when you are in roaming mode, and you may hear an audible difference when placing a call. Because Page Plus uses one of the largest networks in the nation, roaming is not a concern for most Page Plus customers. However, when roaming does occur, you will be charged the roaming rate associated with your service plan. " As you can see this does not explicitly address my issue (whether you're charged roaming on an incoming call, since that's not one you "initiate"). Hence my desire for someone with real world experience as in something similar to: "I was in a roaming area (requiring double dialing) - I made a call and had the other party call me back and the second call was not surcharged." Or, for Denny to put in his 2c worth.

The reason I'm curious is when you make a roaming call it's a very deliberate action on your part. When you pick up the phone to answer, you don't (at least I don't) check to see if you've got a roaming indicator on.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    Thanks for the links ... believe me I've looked at them and find they don't answer my question. The FAQ you mention says, "Roaming occurs when you initiate a call outside of your network’s coverage area. Typically an indicator will appear on your phone when you are in roaming mode, and you may hear an audible difference when placing a call. Because Page Plus uses one of the largest networks in the nation, roaming is not a concern for most Page Plus customers. However, when roaming does occur, you will be charged the roaming rate associated with your service plan. " As you can see this does not explicitly address my issue (whether you're charged roaming on an incoming call, since that's not one you "initiate"). Hence my desire for someone with real world experience as in something similar to: "I was in a roaming area (requiring double dialing) - I made a call and had the other party call me back and the second call was not surcharged." Or, for Denny to put in his 2c worth.

The reason I'm curious is when you make a roaming call it's a very deliberate action on your part. When you pick up the phone to answer, you don't (at least I don't) check to see if you've got a roaming indicator on.
    ok, here's what I can add from real world experience but I am afraid that it will only muddy this a little more for you. I have an area that I frequent that has me double dial out indicating that I am roaming (also have roaming triangle on phone) but I never actually get charged roaming rates. Every time it is like that. Has done it for the past few years, since I've been on pageplus.
    Click here to find out how to buy discounted PagePlus Refills from a Howardforums approved advertiser!

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Last summer, I was in north east Pennsylvania and was roaming. I had an incoming call and it was charged at .29/minute. I can't remember if I got any texts during that time so can't answer that question.

Feedback Score
    I took an incoming call in NW Missouri a couple of weeks ago when I was in a roaming area, and was charged $.29/minute. I'm on The Twelve.

Carriers
    Black Wireless
    Feedback Score
    For a couple of years I spent a week a place sometimes referred as a "summer camp for adults." About half the acreage is in a roaming area. When in the roaming area, calls cost .29. I couldn't send a text message and I couldn't dial #737. On the other side, it worked fine.

Feedback Score
    I have the 55 plan and while roaming in the one area i sometimes travel to i can send and receive text free, i am charged for incoming and out going calls and sms

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby J View Post
    I have the 55 plan and while roaming in the one area i sometimes travel to i can send and receive text free, i am charged for incoming and out going calls and sms
    This can't be accurate, Bobby J, because texts messages = SMS.

My experience has been that texts can be sent as usual, with no additional charge, when roaming. Unfortunately, based on the variety of reports in this thread, it appears to be case-by-case, based on specific area.
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Yes you are charged for roaming incoming calls. Happened to me on accident a few times because Verizon signal is weak in my home (especially basement) and US Cellular is very strong. I had to disable roaming because it was slowly eating away at my cash balance when I answered calls.

I was never charged for a roaming text.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Yes you are charged for roaming incoming calls. Happened to me on accident a few times because Verizon signal is weak in my home (especially basement) and US Cellular is very strong. I had to disable roaming because it was slowly eating away at my cash balance when I answered calls.

I was never charged for a roaming text.
    When you disabled roaming was that selectively for voice? If one is inclined to disable, it would seem disable for voice and leave texting on.

Feedback Score
    I thought sms was picture text, so could be.

Phones
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Motorola E815 (wife)
    Motorola VE20 (son)
    Carriers
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby J View Post
    I thought sms was picture text, so could be.
    Picture messages would be MMS. It stands for Multimedia Messaging Service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast