Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4G WiMAX Coverage 49 States

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Exclamation 4G WiMAX Coverage 49 States

Just an FYI and reminder when wanting to check for 4G coverage, best to refer to Clear's coverage map for all 4G WiMAX tower sites. Not all 4G tower sites are referenced on Sprint, Virgin Mobile, and Boost Mobile websites. This is because Clearwire has some smaller Cities and Towns covered with "Protection Sites" which are in place to protect their spectrum licenses. These offer minimum service coverage but are better than nothing, something to keep in mind. Every lower 48 State has some 4G WiMAX coverage.

http://www.clear.com/coverage/

"WiMAX Network to Operate Through at Least 2015" - Sprint's statement on the matter.

Reference: Sprint Newsroom | Sprint and Clearwire Announce New Agreements
    Last edited by 503ducati; 12-18-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking of posting something similar. I bought the Evo V and according to VM there is no 4G anywhere near me but I got it for the size, processor, 3d, etc, 4G would just be a benefit on trips or vacation. Low and behold I actually picked up 4G WiMAX in about 5 local cities thanks to the protection sites. I live in the Hunting,WV/Ashland, KY tri-state area for anyone local who may be considering the Evo V, their is some 4G around.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What about this URL?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/358367

I agree that for a lot of users, 4G isn't going to be a real option. That it heavily drains batteries and exists almost exclusively in areas that already have many Wi-Fi hotspots makes me question its value. Of course I really want one too...

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    Those should be on the Clear mapping which again is completely different from Sprint/Boost/Virgin coverage map.

http://www.clear.com/coverage/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's unfortunate. Does that mean just because Sprint and Clear have an agreement, does not mean they agreed to use all their towers? (and why not, of course...)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    That's unfortunate. Does that mean just because Sprint and Clear have an agreement, does not mean they agreed to use all their towers? (and why not, of course...)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Sprint/Boost/Virgin subscribers have access, they just do not advertise it. This is why it's best to check coverage via Clear's mapping as it shows their networks active sites. There are some very small communities with coverage in all lower 48 States, just need to zoom in on any given State to see it. The odds are you'd be the only one on the tower site!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    For those with limited home internet options in those small towns and happen to have a decent signal, Virgin Mobile HotSpot or getting a clear home modem activated would be worth a shot. I barely get 1-2 bars of WiMAX signal at home but would still get at least 6Mbps speeds.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Sources say there is some in WI in Milwaukee at Mitchell International Airport but I have never seen 4G when I was there on Postpaid.

Also people have said there is some in Green Bay, WI (maybe at Lambeau Field?) which I can't confirm either.

Sprint salespeople say that the towers can handle 100 users. Could mean it is really only for 10 users. lol

EDIT:

Looks like the maps are updated and there is a little bit of coverage in WI near Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Fon du Lac, Sheboygan, and Manitowoc.

I paid my ETF's for Sprint postpaid, may need to get a 4G Virgin phone now and try to find some 4G.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Clear's all IP network is 4-5 yrs newer than Sprint's Cellular EVDO that was launched in 2005? It's a given that it will perform far better than Sprint's older legacy network.

Clearwire had sold many home modems here in my town, which was their 1st launched market, when they were marketing heavily I never saw slow speeds as they stated their average customer uses 7-10GB per month.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch
    Feedback Score

Re: 4G WiMAX Coverage 49 States

I finally got to use my 4g this week. I'm working out of town. It's a smaller town but about 1/3 of the way between my home town and chicago. I was getting 7mb down running on 4g. It's pretty cool. I just don't get why in this little town in BFE and not in a metro area I live in.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note5, iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon $80 promotional plan (main), T-Mobile ($30 plan), GoPhone
    Feedback Score

4G WiMAX Coverage 49 States

Quote Originally Posted by tcross8361 View Post
    I finally got to use my 4g this week. I'm working out of town. It's a smaller town but about 1/3 of the way between my home town and chicago. I was getting 7mb down running on 4g. It's pretty cool. I just don't get why in this little town in BFE and not in a metro area I live in.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
    Clear is deploying some sites for license protection. They don't want to lose the large load of EBS and BRS WiMax and TD-LTE spectrum they have built up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    According to the clear coverage map I have coverage in my area, but it says they aren't selling service here. So it seems pretty pointless to have coverage in this area when it's not being used.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Quest View Post
    According to the clear coverage map I have coverage in my area, but it says they aren't selling service here. So it seems pretty pointless to have coverage in this area when it's not being used.

Sent with the HoFo App
    The OP explains it.

Feedback Score
    I hope WiMAX is used for more than just the next year and a half.
    I use a Clear modem for Internet, tv and phone and Boost 4g is WiMAX and I just got my phone, it is not LTE capable and I want my data to last longer than the end of 2015, we are over half way through 2013 so that at the most leaves 17 and a half months.
    There will be a boat load of really pissed off people with nonLTE phone that will lose mobile Internet if they drop WiMAX

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    I hope WiMAX is used for more than just the next year and a half.
    I use a Clear modem for Internet, tv and phone and Boost 4g is WiMAX and I just got my phone, it is not LTE capable and I want my data to last longer than the end of 2015, we are over half way through 2013 so that at the most leaves 17 and a half months.
    There will be a boat load of really pissed off people with nonLTE phone that will lose mobile Internet if they drop WiMAX
    I saw a post on S4GRU eluding to an internal memo stating that they are going to allow WiMAX customers that are impacted by shutdowns to get a free LTE device.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast