Thread: Personal Hotspot for iPhone. What prepaid plans do enable this feature?

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4Sx2,Palm Pixi Plus
    Nokia Lumia 520, 3220, 6030, 3585i
    Carrier
    GoPhonex4 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel AV
    Feedback Score

Personal Hotspot for iPhone. What prepaid plans do enable this feature?

I just came back from a trip to Latin America and while over there I was pleasantly surprised to see that the local prepaid plan I chose enabled the (until then hidden) Personal Hotspot option in my unlocked iPhone 3GS (iOS 5.1.1, not jailbroken). This allowed me to share my data with my kids' iPods (via BT for 3GS, via wifi for 4/4S) for their occasional check of e-mail/FB etc. Nothing big. It was wonderful to have that option in a real PayAsYouGo plan (not fixed monthly cost). But as soon as I put my Airvoice sim back into my iPhone, the Personal Hotspot option disappeared.

Is there a PAYG plan/provider in the U.S. that allows the "Personal Hotspot" feature by default on iPhones?

I'd rather not use a monthly expensive hybrid prepaid plan for this feature, I'm a light user.
    Current:Former:
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 14 years!

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk, GoPhone, Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    I just came back from a trip to Latin America and while over there I was pleasantly surprised to see that the local prepaid plan I chose enabled the (until then hidden) Personal Hotspot option in my unlocked iPhone 3GS (iOS 5.1.1, not jailbroken). This allowed me to share my data with my kids' iPods (via BT for 3GS, via wifi for 4/4S) for their occasional check of e-mail/FB etc. Nothing big. It was wonderful to have that option in a real PayAsYouGo plan (not fixed monthly cost). But as soon as I put my Airvoice sim back into my iPhone, the Personal Hotspot option disappeared.

Is there a PAYG plan/provider in the U.S. that allows the "Personal Hotspot" feature by default on iPhones?

I'd rather not use a monthly expensive hybrid prepaid plan for this feature, I'm a light user.
    Why don't you just jailbreak and install something like TetherMe?

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thehofoguy View Post
    Yes, now I know that's an option. I was just curious about any provider/plan that wouldn't restrict the feature on iPhones by default.

Also, I often have visitors with iPhones from overseas who I'm sure would like something like this, and not everyone likes jailbreaking their devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thehofoguy View Post
    is it legal to do that?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (3rd Gen)
    FreedomPop Photon
    Carriers
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    FreedomPop (Clear MVNO)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, now I know that's an option. I was just curious about any provider/plan that wouldn't restrict the feature on iPhones by default.

Also, I often have visitors with iPhones from overseas who I'm sure would like something like this, and not everyone likes jailbreaking their devices.
    I'm pretty sure there is no provider that by default allows tethering on prepaid plans.

The closest you'd come to this is T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, or other non-iPhone-carrying regional carrier. One would have to input APNs for the phone (and one can setup tethering doing so). However, tethering is most likely considered a prohibited activity in the terms of use for those providers or requires a monthly add-on (which you said isn't an option).

Other than that and using tweaks post-jailbreak, not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by abba701 View Post
    is it legal to do that?
    In the US, it doesn't break copyright law to jailbreak. It technically voids the warranty, though.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is no provider that by default allows tethering on prepaid plans.
    Most European and Asian mobile operators do not restrict tethering on pre-paid or postpaid plans. It's a North American thing where lax regulation and limited competition let operators get away with consumer un-friendly practices like charging extra to tether using data you have already paid for.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Most European and Asian mobile operators do not restrict tethering on pre-paid or postpaid plans. It's a North American thing where lax regulation and limited competition let operators get away with consumer un-friendly practices like charging extra to tether using data you have already paid for.
    Ironic that after using a prepaid plan in Latin America for which I paid a data package that I could use in whatever way I wanted, now that I am back in the U.S. I feel more that the prepaid data plans here are 3rd-world rated and ripoffs.

As I said in my OP, I didn't really "tether" (I didn't connect a PC or any other data-guzzler device to my iPhone, although the term can still be correct), I just shared few MBs with my kid's iPod once in a while (not that the local prepaid provider would have cared anyway). It was an inexpensive and nice perk to have while on the road or in non-WiFi areas and now I miss it.

This really upsets me more now that we "light users" no longer even have the option of data packages with no expensive monthly voice charges with at&t's GoPhone or any other real PAYG plan.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk, GoPhone, Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    Ironic that after using a prepaid plan in Latin America for which I paid a data package that I could use in whatever way I wanted, now that I am back in the U.S. I feel more that the prepaid data plans here are 3rd-world rated and ripoffs.

As I said in my OP, I didn't really "tether" (I didn't connect a PC or any other data-guzzler device to my iPhone, although the term can still be correct), I just shared few MBs with my kid's iPod once in a while (not that the local prepaid provider would have cared anyway). It was an inexpensive and nice perk to have while on the road or in non-WiFi areas and now I miss it.

This really upsets me more now that we "light users" no longer even have the option of data packages with no expensive monthly voice charges with at&t's GoPhone or any other real PAYG plan.
    I hear you. I tried the Airvoice $10/month plan for awhile after ATT did their data thing in April, but found the 33 cents/MB eating up my $10 way too fast. Luckily, I saw the post about ATT allowing people to switch to the $1 M2M plan before my gophone account expired. Feel a little dirty for still doing business with them, but I can't help it, I'm a tight wad.

As I said above, you can have this feature if you'll jailbreak your iphone(s). I resisted jailbreaking for the longest. After I did it, and understood exactly how it works, I've been kicking myself ever since for not doing it sooner. I could never go back to an unjailbroken phone.

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    You can say that again. When I visited Nigeria in April I bought 2 sim cards for approx $1 each(actually less) and signed up for 1GB/30 days validity of data for about $7 on one of the sims, which I put in my USB modem. The used the other for voice + data (if needed). Direct calls to US numbers were about $0.10/min. Prepaids in those countries, which is used by majority of them, is light years ahead of the US prepaids. The 3G speeds were insane as well.