Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk ZTE Merit Z990G

Feedback Score

Straight Talk ZTE Merit Z990G

Someone help please!

I have never owned a smartphone. I am looking to buy the Straight Talk ZTE Merit Z990G w/android. I need to know if this phone will work off AT&T or Verizon towers. Also, if the android/smartphone part, i.e. web browsing, internet, etc... will not work in certain areas, will I still be able to make phone calls and send texts. I am currently on AT&T contract service and the signal has become terrible. I guess it could be because my phone is ancient, but I can't help but wonder if AT&T's service coverage has changed in my area. I use my phone primarily in NW GA and NE Alabama. I would like to try a smartphone while getting out of this outrageously costly contract plan-I have met the terms and am on month to month right now. I have heard Android is only available on Sprint, and Sprint, T-Mobile, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile are not options where I am as it is mountainous and rural mostly.

I know, I probably sound like a technologically challenged doofus, but I honestly do not know much about smartphone technology and I don't want to get burned.

Thanks for any help.

Amy

Carrier
    ATT postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio21au View Post
    Someone help please!

I have never owned a smartphone. I am looking to buy the Straight Talk ZTE Merit Z990G w/android. I need to know if this phone will work off AT&T or Verizon towers. Also, if the android/smartphone part, i.e. web browsing, internet, etc... will not work in certain areas, will I still be able to make phone calls and send texts. I am currently on AT&T contract service and the signal has become terrible. I guess it could be because my phone is ancient, but I can't help but wonder if AT&T's service coverage has changed in my area. I use my phone primarily in NW GA and NE Alabama. I would like to try a smartphone while getting out of this outrageously costly contract plan-I have met the terms and am on month to month right now. I have heard Android is only available on Sprint, and Sprint, T-Mobile, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile are not options where I am as it is mountainous and rural mostly.
    Amy,

the ZTE Merit is a GSM phone, which means it will work on ATT and/or Tmobile towers. There is another Android that uses Verizon towers for Straight Talk. As far as your coverage goes, you can go on att.com or verizonwireless.com and view the coverage maps for your zip code, to see if Verizon would be a better option. Also there are other prepaid carriers out there you can try. Some options are Page Plus, AirVioce, Red Pocket, Jolt Wireless, Simple Mobile, H2O Wireless to name a few.

To address your question about Androids, they can be used on most every carrier. I plan on getting an Android on my Airvoice card in the next few months because i miss playing Angry Birds.

I know, I probably sound like a technologically challenged doofus, but I honestly do not know much about smartphone technology and I don't want to get burned.

Thanks for any help.

Amy
    Glad to help. There is so much info concerning pre-paids, it's hard to read the information and digest the information. No question is a stupid question. That is what these forums are here for Sometimes you might be pointed to a thread concerning your issue, or suggested to search the forum, but there is a wealth of information here if you choose to use it.

Feedback Score

Smile

Thank you, Kevdogg. That was good information. The Straight Talk site and WM website both say the Merit will work in both my area of GA and AL. I have had experience in the past where the carriers said they'd have coverage and then didn't.

I have been researching phones now for about 2 yrs and haven't wanted to commit, but I'm going to bite the bullet and get it. If all else fails, I can return it if it doesn't work.

Thanks again for your response. Very helpful.

Phones
    Samsung 451c
    IPhone 3gs
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Amy, I purchased my wife and daughter a ZTE Merit and both are very pleased. Their reception is much better than with previous
    K phones and the 3g is pretty speedy. These are on att network.8 VB

Feedback Score
    Thanks jraul

Carrier
    ATT postpaid
    Feedback Score
    just remember that the air time is NON-REFUNDABLE!

Feedback Score
    Do you know if I would be able to transfer my contacts from my current phone to this one? I have so many that if I had to reenter them, that would be a deterrent.

What do you know about the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim? Is it worth the $50 difference in price? I know it runs off Verizon and that would be okay in my area.

If I buy the phone, either phone, from Walmart, will they let me return it if I didn't like it, after using it? If so, I'm sure there's a time limit. And Kevdogg, you mentioned the unlimited air cards are non-refundable so say I bought the Merit and decided to return it to walmart and get the Proclaim, could I transfer the minutes to the new phone?

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    you could transfer the time but you would have to have both phones in your possession for it to work then return one. the contacts likely will transfer. what phone are you currently using?

Feedback Score
    I currently have a Sony Ericsson 350i. I know. Dinosaur.

Feedback Score
    But I LOVE my phone. Sony Ericsson's have been the best phones I have ever used. Durable, live FM radio. I have had this phone for probably 5 years or longer. I have finally had to tape the battery cover on it bc I have dropped it so many times, but the phone still works.

I will miss having a live FM tuner on my phone as it came in handy during the tornadoes of 2011 as I lost my power and was in my closet listening to updates on our local radio station via my cellphone (didn't have a weather radio at that time...i do now

However, I am in need of an upgrade and want to move to a smartphone. I have the cable to connect my Sony to my computer to download any pics I have on the phone. I wonder if I could somehow down load my contacts and then upload them to the smartphone I get. Or save them on my microSD and put the microSD in the new phone and upload that way.

What do you think?

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    a good phone is like a old friend. there could be other ways but right off i see your phone has bluetooth so your contacts can be beamed to either the merit or proclaim. if you have been syncing your calendar or contacts to your pc then exporting the infomation into your google/gmail account it will automacticly show up on your phone. a cvs file exported then imported into gmail and calendar will do the trick. sony may have a software program for syncing check that out. bluetooth will work for contacts.

Feedback Score

Black Thursday Sale Item

This phone (the Net10 version) is listed for $39.00 today only (Nov. 22, 2012) in the Dollar General sale flyer.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: Straight Talk ZTE Merit Z990G

In ohio its $29 Net10 version at Family Dollar.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I want to use my phone on a trip out of the country . Any possibilities on sim unlocking a Net10 Merit ZTE 990g for use off ST/ Net10 ATT network ? Links or PM please.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    I want to use my phone on a trip out of the country . Any possibilities on sim unlocking a Net10 Merit ZTE 990g for use off ST/ Net10 ATT network ? Links or PM please.

nope, no net10,tracfone,straight talk phone can be unlocked to be used outside the united states.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast