Thread: Spent 3 hours on phone with Rogers

Feedback Score

Spent 3 hours on phone with Rogers

Over the past few days, I have spent hours on the phone with Rogers trying to get them to tweak our corporate plan (we have 2 Blackberries). Needless to say, that has been difficult, as we have the One Rate (CDN/US data roaming bucket share) plan attached, so with that, you can't really make changes at all.

Spent 1.5 hours with Retention just now, and she just couldn't budge.I called to ask as hubby got an incredible corporate rate from Telus with unlimited CDN/US data, new Blackberry (his has been a bit problematic), unlimited texting, 300 mins, caller id, etc., $150.00 activation credit all for $52.00 month. Great deal as we travel to states several times per month, plus vacation in Florida several weeks per year.

In order to get out of our contract early though for our 2 phones with Rogers though (20 months left), she wanted $1000.00!!!

So, I got off phone, and thought about it, and came up with a great idea. I dropped our corporate plan, cancelled One Rate data plan, and switched to a Family Plan.

I am saving close to $20.00/month for doing this, with a few more useable features (corporate plan had stuff attached to it that we didn't use, and only had 125 texts, so have had to deal with overages), and am applying this $20.00 to the Telus plan, so for an additional $40.00/month, we now have 3 Blackberries, one being a travel phone that we can bridge to our Blackberry Playbook.

Despite being very frustrated with Rogers (I won't tell you the words my hubby used when I told him about the $1,000), all of the agents I spoke with were very friendly and helpful.

I have read the horror stories on here about early terminations fees (not sure about new Flex Tab? as this amount was ridicously high), so I wanted to give my story. I found the Retention Dept really didn't have much ability to help me in securing a better deal (she was beyond patient and diligent in trying other scenarios though, but most of them would have cost me more money), despite reading stories on here to the contrary.

Also wanted to let others know that they had no problems with cancelling our corporate plan and transferring to Family Plan - no fees and continue on current contract.

Hope my story is helpful to others, Tiger

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    The lesson here is to read and understand your contract so you know what ECF fees apply.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Chatrlicity:
    $30 Unlimited NAM , $30 Unlimited Province Wide

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    The lesson here is to read and understand your contract so you know what ECF fees apply.
    I already knew about the early cancellation fee, but there is no way to figure out the actual amount though, as that is difficult as they use a calculation for the voice part of the plan, as well as data.

I also am confused about the new Flextab situation, which she said doesn't apply to our account?

Thanks, Tiger

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 X10
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Vodafone.DE O2.DE Cellcom Fido
    Feedback Score
    Tiger just 2 people in your Corporate plan? Or is this through work?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
    Tiger just 2 people in your Corporate plan? Or is this through work?
    We have a corporate discount plan through hubby's work, with 2 Blackberries on it.

The corporate rate wasn't that great, but they wouldn't really work with us on it, and the first rep I spoke with even said it wasn't that great either! LOL!

I tried to get Retention Dept to bend a bit more as we were switching to Family Plan, but they would not.

At least we are paying $20.00 less per month (10.00 per phone), and we got rid of a few features that we didn't use too much, and got a few that we needed more (like unlimited texting).

We are now applying this savings to a 3rd phone at Telus as the corporate rate plan they offered hubby is fabulous for our needs, plus he's getting a new brand new phone.

We are now free of the Corporate muzzle at Rogers as it has been very restrictive, Tiger

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 X10
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    OK explains things. First off I am surprised they even spoke with you on this. Most companies have a rep that speaks on their behalf. Every year our corp plan is changed by our rep. New features added, others modified to better suit our needs. When our rep calls she has the ability to flex the collective muscle of the 900+ corp plan holders so we often get what we ask for. Why did the rep at hubby's company get involved? The changes that you wanted made could have been of benefit to all. Perhaps that is a option you could try?

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
    OK explains things. First off I am surprised they even spoke with you on this. Most companies have a rep that speaks on their behalf. Every year our corp plan is changed by our rep. New features added, others modified to better suit our needs. When our rep calls she has the ability to flex the collective muscle of the 900+ corp plan holders so we often get what we ask for. Why did the rep at hubby's company get involved? The changes that you wanted made could have been of benefit to all. Perhaps that is a option you could try?

Good luck!
    That is not how it works. When you sign up for the corporate promo, you do so through the cell company they have hired to do that (located in Toronto), and that is the last dealing you have with them (my corporate plan works this way too). So they signed us up and shipped our phones, and that is it!

It is basically a corporate discount, but the package components are very restrictive, based on the deal made between Rogers and the company. These packages are also in place for 1 year, so not much tweaking at all. There is no rep at hubby's company that deals with this - they get the email from the cell company/store advertising the promo, and go from there.

We have always been able to speak to them, as it's our acccount. We pay the monthly fees, not hubby's company. They just secure a promo for staff. At this time though, only Telus and Bell have corporate promos running at hubby's company. Both of those are better than the corporate rate plan we just gave up, so I can see why they dumped Rogers at this time.

Thanks, Tiger

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 X10
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Oh ok I am at a loss at what kind of corp plan you could have because most of the Corp plans I have know of do not work like yours. We have a staff member, in our IT dept, that directly speaks to Rogers on our behalf. I do not mean if I have a billing error she calls in for me, she gets us the handsets we need, negotiates our plan and has the rogers rep come and pick up repairs and such. The latter part is just the cost of doing business and I believe is quite common now.

Sounds to me that the person who offered the plans just took the activation commission and never looked back.

Feedback Score
    Well, hubby is a banker, and that is how it has always worked at both banks he has been at.

They are sent the current promo via email, interoffice messages and fax, with plan details and contact info, and that is all.

The new Telus phone we just signed up for today, works the exact same way. Called the number (it's a cell phone store in Toronto), phone will be shipped here in a few days to his office, and that is it.

Tiger

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 X10
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger926 View Post
    Well, hubby is a banker, and that is how it has always worked at both banks he has been at.

They are sent the current promo via email, interoffice messages and fax, with plan details and contact info, and that is all.

The new Telus phone we just signed up for today, works the exact same way. Called the number (it's a cell phone store in Toronto), phone will be shipped here in a few days to his office, and that is it.

Tiger

Yes we we the same thing it is just that we have someone we can talk with and go to bat for us. Often we are asked what would we like to see added to the plan. Be it more mins more txt etc. As of late the LTE plans have been quite good. I think we are just spoiled, perhaps the gal who administers the plan is a control freak. 1 thing I do know if they vex her there is hell to pay!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^tiger926, that's an almost unbelievable offer from Telus, almost worth paying the $1000 IMO. Are you positive it's unlimited CAN/US data? What the heck kind of plan is this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    ^tiger926, that's an almost unbelievable offer from Telus, almost worth paying the $1000 IMO. Are you positive it's unlimited CAN/US data? What the heck kind of plan is this?
    Yup, it's legitimate. As I said, it's a corporate bank plan for new Telus customers only. It's so good that the Rogers rep said I should seriously jump on it!

It's for Blackberry only, and Blackberries are so good with data, so that is why she said they are offering it.

We would never pay $1,000 to Rogers, so I got rid of our corporate plan, and am applying the savings to the new Telus plan.

We will have 3 Blackberries, 1 of which has the unlimited US/CDN data for approx. $40.00 more per month.

It is a great deal with all that they are offering, so we jumped on it. Will finalize the order tomorrow, Tiger

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^The Rogers rep said you should jump on it? That's when you know it really is unbeatable. :-P

As someone who is seeking unlimited data myself I can tell you that as depressing as it may be to give Rogers a free $1000, it's worth it if the alternative is not having unlimited CAN/US data. However, it sounds like you've found a way to keep your Rogers line as well, so that's awesome too. Good luck over at Telus!

PS what bank is this for if I may ask? Are any employees eligible to take the plan? Sounds almost...too good to be true.

Feedback Score
    Rogers response to your concerns is much like my experience....unhelpful. I have also had much better service from Telus. Rogers service is similar to speaking with a parrot who has been trained to say a few words but not much else.

Another option is you still want to avoid the rape-like rates Rogers will normally charge for roaming, is to unlock your blackberries. Most of the time a local guy in your city can unlock it for a small fee, then you can just use a US Sim when you are down there. Not sure if this works for your situation, or if you can get your number forwarded to your US number when you are there, but maybe something to investigate.