Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Help! Accidently Removed My Voicemail Icon. How Do I Restore it?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0

    Help! Accidently Removed My Voicemail Icon. How Do I Restore it?

    So, on my Virgin Mobile HTC One V, there sat a little icon on my main screen above the bottom dock bar. The icon was red and connected straight to my voicemail. Today, it was just gone.

    Upon further, investigation, I found said icon off on one of my side screens in a folder. I tried unsuccessfully to drag it out of said folder and over to the main screen. So, finally, I just drug it to the top of the screen where it said "remove", thinking I could then press down on the empty space on the main screen, get a list of my aps, shortcuts, and widgits and then select it from the list and have it be returned to it's rightful spot- just as I can when I remove an app by dragging it to the top of the screen in the "remove" area.

    Unfortunately, my voice mail icon seems to really be gone- it's not under apps, shortcuts, or widgets. There seems to be no obvious way to bring it back. I find this distressing.

    Anyone know how I can get it back?

    It may seem silly, but this is a 10 day old phone that I invested a lot of money in, and I expect it to have a voice mail button. If there is no way to restore it, that would be pretty much a fatal flaw for me. Love the phone otherwise, and keep thinking there has to be a way to restore this, probably a simple way- I just can't figure it out.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    0
    Download the vvm.apk and I stall it with any file browser from the play store (I suggest es file explorer).

    Thanks goes to Leslie ann
    http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-...voicemail.html


    I'm not sure what happened, but if you Google HTC missing voicemail app, there are a ton of hits. I didn't really read into it.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- Beanstalk Kit-Kat 4.4.4_r2 -- LTE + ART enabled
    Moto G ------- Stock KitKat -- 4.4.3 -- with ART
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    202
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just dial your number to access voicemail.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hershey_squirt View Post
    Download the vvm.apk and I stall it with any file browser from the play store (I suggest es file explorer).

    Thanks goes to Leslie ann
    http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-...voicemail.html


    I'm not sure what happened, but if you Google HTC missing voicemail app, there are a ton of hits. I didn't really read into it.
    Thanks. Right now I'm still hoping to find away to get back the specific ap that came with my phone, versus third party alternative that works differently- ie sounds like that ap tries to do voicwmail over data, dowload them as audii files, implement visual voicemaik, etc. I liked rhe simple stock HTC one v vm app.

    If push comes to shove, though, I might prefer your solution to a factory reset, which is the kind of drastic solution the stuff I googled proposed, so I appreciate you mentioning the software above. Good option to keep in my back pocket.

    Ironic that one can't get rid of a lot of rhe preinstalled apps without rooting the phone, no matter how frivolous they are but something as basic as voicemail is so easily to accidently and irretrievably delete.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think I may have thought of something. Maybe it wasn't an app but just a shortcut to the dialer vm.

    Try this:
    1. Create Voicemail contact via People > Add contact,, (the number will be your phone number to dial your vm.)

    2. On the Home screen Add Shortcut > Direct Dial > your voicemail.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hershey_squirt View Post
    I think I may have thought of something. Maybe it wasn't an app but just a shortcut to the dialer vm.

    Try this:
    1. Create Voicemail contact via People > Add contact,, (the number will be your phone number to dial your vm.)

    2. On the Home screen Add Shortcut > Direct Dial > your voicemail.
    Thanks. I implemented that and it seems to work. It's missing the cool original icon, and I think the original version displayed a number like "1" or "2" depending on how many voice mails you had (I'm not 100% sure, because honestly I only think I got one voice mail in the time I've had the phone), which this one doesn't, but it'll do in the absence of being able to truly bring back the original. It brings back having a single push button to get to my voice mail, which is the most important part.

    I'll still get a notification of new voice mails in the information bar at the top of the screen, right?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    321
    Feedback Score
    0
    Have you tried looking for a voicemail widget? Maybe it was a widget, and not an app (happened to me once, i was going crazy looking for that widget under apps lol).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by exuberance View Post
    Have you tried looking for a voicemail widget? Maybe it was a widget, and not an app (happened to me once, i was going crazy looking for that widget under apps lol).
    Yeah, I checked through widgets and shortcuts earlier. You know what the weird thing is? I went back to double check after reading this post, and now clicking that little square with all the dots only displays a list of apps and not widgets or shortcuts. I could have sworn before it defaulted to apps, but had a little sub-menu where you could switch to widgets and shortcuts. That submenu now seems to be gone. I'm not sure what's going on. Was I actually looking somewhere else for widgets? Did I change an option somewhere? Does it work different after nightfall?

    I'm quickly learning to love the smartphone world, but it reminds me a lot of when my family got it's first computer back in the day. There was this layer of "Wow", "This is incredible", and just having a blast doing all these different things you'd never been able to do before, but there was also this layer of confusion and frustration that went along with it, and stuff that seemed to work in an arbitrary or inexplicable way. Learning to use a smartphone is like doing it all over again. I think it's worthwhile, but every once in a while I want to chuck the way against a wall in frustration, in between thinking it's one of the awesomest things I've ever seen. There's a million cool things you can do with it, but it can get deeply aggravating when things don't work the way you intuitively think they should, or some random thing goes wrong that you fiddle with for hours and can't fix.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityCrab View Post
    Yeah, I checked through widgets and shortcuts earlier. You know what the weird thing is? I went back to double check after reading this post, and now clicking that little square with all the dots only displays a list of apps and not widgets or shortcuts. I could have sworn before it defaulted to apps, but had a little sub-menu where you could switch to widgets and shortcuts. That submenu now seems to be gone. I'm not sure what's going on. Was I actually looking somewhere else for widgets? Did I change an option somewhere? Does it work different after nightfall?
    Figured out what I was doing earlier to check widgets and shortcuts was actually creating a blank spot on one of the screens and pressing in, and it'd show available replacement apps, widgets and shortcuts. Unfortunately, the voice mail thing still isn't one of them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    321
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm glad you figured out the widget thing; too bad the voicemail isn't there. Hope someone can find out where it's hiding.

    I actually dislike sense 3.6 on the evo v, so i havent' really messed with their app/widget layout. I agree, it's frustrating to learn at first, but if you can get used to it, it's pretty nice to use.

    edit: is there any option to reset the sense launcher? If this option exists, maybe you could get the voicemail icon back without having to do a complete factory reset.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityCrab View Post
    I'll still get a notification of new voice mails in the information bar at the top of the screen, right?
    Yes, that shouldn't change.

    Glad you at least got some of the function back. I don't have an HTC phone so I can't really fool around and figure it out.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,412
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hershey_squirt View Post
    Download the vvm.apk and I stall it with any file browser from the play store (I suggest es file explorer).

    Thanks goes to Leslie ann
    http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-...voicemail.html


    I'm not sure what happened, but if you Google HTC missing voicemail app, there are a ton of hits. I didn't really read into it.
    This is a little off topic I guess, but have you gotten that apk in your link to work? The thread in the link says that it works on the OpV but on my OpV nothing happens. It does appear to be the same app that works on Sprint postpaid phones, but there must be some extra configuration you get when it's carrier installed as opposed be being side-loaded.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    10,665
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thread moved to the proper VM Android devices section.

    Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    This is a little off topic I guess, but have you gotten that apk in your link to work? The thread in the link says that it works on the OpV but on my OpV nothing happens. It does appear to be the same app that works on Sprint postpaid phones, but there must be some extra configuration you get when it's carrier installed as opposed be being side-loaded.
    After you install it, you need to be on 3g not wifi during the first start of the app. It will send you a text after it configures successfully

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,180
    Phones
    6682, 6030, 6061
    6230b, v635, 3120b, 3650
    3100b, v3, v620, v400, x426, cf62t, t226, 3590, 3595, 6010, v66, v2282
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Don't have this phone. Is it visual voicemail or for dialing into the old voicemail system? You may be able to just hold 1 in the dialer for voicemail.

    You could always do a factory reset to get it back and then figure out what it is. It's strange that you can't add it back (or that you want it back ).
    V 4.62.0
    28-10-05
    RM-58
    Nokia 6682

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do I remove voicemail icon?
    By gullino27 in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
  2. V635 Remove O2 web icon - How to
    By darylsrowland in forum Motorola
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 08:08 AM
  3. Voicemail icon help!
    By DereX888 in forum Motorola
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 01:41 AM
  4. how to get rid of the voicemail icon?
    By eyesonly6587 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 07:35 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 09:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks