Thread: Transferring service and number to a different cell on Net10

Carriers
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score

Transferring service and number to a different cell on Net10

Family member on the unlimited plan has a Net 10 Lg800g and wants to go back to the Lg900g.

Can the same SIM in the 800g be used in the 900g after requesting the transfer of service and number on the website or does she need a new SIM?

I told her to get the Byod SIM like my stepbrother did but she's cheap and didn't want to pay $14.99 for a SIM.
    Thanks.

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    No! Sims are locked to phone. One of the most annoying things about Trac/Net10. I've switched prepaid Tmob & AT&T phones multiple times by just dropping my sim in another phone. Not possible with Net10.
    I think they'll give you a sim for free when try to re-activate the 900g.

Carriers
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timdennis View Post
    No! Sims are locked to phone. One of the most annoying things about Trac/Net10. I've switched prepaid Tmob & AT&T phones multiple times by just dropping my sim in another phone. Not possible with Net10.
    I think they'll give you a sim for free when try to re-activate the 900g.
    Hiya, thnx, that's what I kinda felt would be the reply here but had to ask.

I have more info now to add. The previous phone she let expire (900g) and she got a new number when activating the 800g.

So if they reactivate the old 900g, can they reuse that SIM?

Do they still stay locked to the phone even if the account expired and the number is lost?

(She actually once got the same number back after 5 weeks of no service)

Feedback Score
    There are two "locking" processes. First of all, Tracfone/Net10 knows which sim is packaged with which phone. The red card has that information and also the information is in the TF/NT database. If you switch sims around at this point, like if you have another new phone, the phone will just sit there and never activate because the records don't match. Everything has to match. If you put in the correct sim, the phone will finish activating like magic as long as the sim hasn't been subjected to the second lock.

The second lock is when you power up the phone for the first time. The phone writes a customized code to the sim. If you have the wrong sim in there, it will get the mark, but you don't want that. The sim will be useless in its correct phone because the sim has the mark of another phone, and this is permanent. You will get Sim Rejected and you will have to order a new sim because the original sim is now defective.

Tracfone/Net10 has a lot of locks because they want to protect their business. They offer the handsets and sims at a loss and want them to be used in-house and not unlocked and used elsewhere as a bargain.

If a GSM phone hasn't been expired for too long, which is hard to pin down, the sim and phone number can sometimes be reactivated as if nothing has happened. I guess the sims are expensive and a phone number isn't supposed to go back into circulation for a while anyway. CS can fish in the GSM phone number pool and get numbers. They cannot fish for CDMA numbers. If you ever have one of those, consider your number to be gone.

Carriers
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    There are two "locking" processes. First of all, Tracfone/Net10 knows which sim is packaged with which phone. The red card has that information and also the information is in the TF/NT database. If you switch sims around at this point, like if you have another new phone, the phone will just sit there and never activate because the records don't match. Everything has to match. If you put in the correct sim, the phone will finish activating like magic as long as the sim hasn't been subjected to the second lock.

The second lock is when you power up the phone for the first time. The phone writes a customized code to the sim. If you have the wrong sim in there, it will get the mark, but you don't want that. The sim will be useless in its correct phone because the sim has the mark of another phone, and this is permanent. You will get Sim Rejected and you will have to order a new sim because the original sim is now defective.

Tracfone/Net10 has a lot of locks because they want to protect their business. They offer the handsets and sims at a loss and want them to be used in-house and not unlocked and used elsewhere as a bargain.

If a GSM phone hasn't been expired for too long, which is hard to pin down, the sim and phone number can sometimes be reactivated as if nothing has happened. I guess the sims are expensive and a phone number isn't supposed to go back into circulation for a while anyway. CS can fish in the GSM phone number pool and get numbers. They cannot fish for CDMA numbers. If you ever have one of those, consider your number to be gone.
    Hey thnx Lisme for that helpful detailed info that I didn't know about.

They really know how to protect their biz, good for them.

I guess swapping the CDMA cells would be lots easier dealing with just the imei. No SIM to deal with.

Thanks for the additional info on CDMA and them not being able to fish that number out if too much time elapses and no refills. Our number is important to us as its unique, easy to remember and we had it ten years.

My wife is insisting we get the Samsung Proclaim which I have seen for both ST and Net 10.

We left Red Pocket for Tmobile however we are in an all Edge area and its not THAT bad but it sometimes sits there and does nothing. I'm talking about the data arrows. Frustrating to say the least.

I can somewhat deal with slower data but I can't deal with greyed out arrows!