Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: were sorry but this device has been blocked from network use

Feedback Score

were sorry but this device has been blocked from network use

Anyone else getting this error?
    Texts are looking like they go through, but the other person never gets it
    When you try to make a call, you get a recording of that message "were sorry but this device has been blocked from network use"

I keep calling ST, they update something and it gets fixed, but then anwyehere from 5min-1hour later same thing happens
    Last edited by JuMpMaN6235; 07-21-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    What network are you on? Are you on BYOD? Where'd you get your phone?

Sounds like it could be a stolen phone that's getting blocked.
    I buy broken/used iPhones (4 & 4S) on any carrier! PM me info about your phone and your asking price and I'll get back to you!

Feedback Score
    Im on straight talk network, im using the nokia e71 SIM

I think you might be right. I was using my iphone 4 for months without any issues, i just bought a 4s from craigslist and now started getting this issue

But, then if I take the SIM out then put it in my iphone 4 of the nokia phone, still the same message comes up. So i dont see how its the phone

Feedback Score
    put the sim back in the nokia E71 and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JuMpMaN6235 View Post
    Im on straight talk network, im using the nokia e71 SIM

I think you might be right. I was using my iphone 4 for months without any issues, i just bought a 4s from craigslist and now started getting this issue

But, then if I take the SIM out then put it in my iphone 4 of the nokia phone, still the same message comes up. So i dont see how its the phone
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    put the sim back in the nokia E71 and see what happens.
    See the part I added the bold to. He already did what you are suggesting!

Feedback Score
    ok, FINALLY, got to the bottom of this.
    AT&T, just started blocking lost/stolen phones (see here)
    Now, what happens when you try to use a lost/stolen phone is your account gets deactivated, meaning no matter what phone u put ur SIM in, it will not work. You will have to call straight talk, they need to reactive your account then you must use a non lost/stolen phone.

Watch out!!!!! AT&T never used to do this....

Phone
    BlackBerry 10, Android,
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AIO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JuMpMaN6235 View Post
    ok, FINALLY, got to the bottom of this.
    AT&T, just started blocking lost/stolen phones (see here)
    Now, what happens when you try to use a lost/stolen phone is your account gets deactivated, meaning no matter what phone u put ur SIM in, it will not work. You will have to call straight talk, they need to reactive your account then you must use a non lost/stolen phone.

Watch out!!!!! AT&T never used to do this....
    Yea..... They are going to block all stolen, lost, and no-pays on post-paid phones on the networks (ST and Net10). If your buying off of CL then you need to call ATT so see if its going to be good. Tmobile is doing the same thing now also.

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    ahh!!! yikes!

best get a SIM protector now!

Phone
    SM-N900A GoPhone Walmart Special, Samsung SGH-I337 GoPhone Walmart Special
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Reported Stolen

QUESTION: When activating a phone on Straight Talk, we enter the SUBSTITUTE SERIAL NUMBER that came with the SIM card, not the IMEI of the phone. Does it mean that when we activate the phone, it transmits the IMEI to the service provider. We then need to buy our phone from a reputable dealer, I have never bought anything off CL but I buy from eBay, advertised an brand new, never opened, or from Amazon and I make sure that the eBay seller has sold many similar items and a feedback rating of at least 99.8%.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerballtux View Post
    ahh!!! yikes!

best get a SIM protector now!
    Hey Soccerballtux, just saw the message you left me in the other thread. Yeah, I'm over here now. Learned all there was about CDMA and LTE, now figuring out GSM and HSPA!

Yeah, all 4 major carriers agree in April there were going to take action on stolen phones. Starting NEXT year, they will all share a stolen phones database. Until then, they are each implementing a blocking plan as they are ready. AT&T announced they were starting theirs in mid-July.

Sim protector? Please elaborate. If you are using a reportedly stolen phone, that phone gets blocked, ST is informed which sim was being used and your account is deactivated... At that point it has nothing to do with the sim data. AT&T has already reported the person to ST.

Are you saying there's something to prevent AT&T from reading the sim card in the first place?
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    i posted a start date for their program last month. guess its time.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wam View Post
    Yea..... They are going to block all stolen, lost, and no-pays on post-paid phones on the networks (ST and Net10). If your buying off of CL then you need to call ATT so see if its going to be good. Tmobile is doing the same thing now also.
    Actually, calling them to confirm it's ok may provide you no protection at all. I've heard and read stories of people using a phone for 1-2 months with no problems, then it suddenly stops working because the seller reports it stollen so that they can use their insurance nd get a new phone. Because you can't get back to the seller, you're screwed. I actually posted about this a couple months ago. I'm all for cutting down on the stolen phone trade, but I fear this will actually shut down nearly all phone sales on CL. All it will take is a significant number of folks getting cut after a couple of months, and people will no longer trust that marketplace. eBay may fare a bit better since you have info on feedback and such- a seller with 5000 feedback won't be selling phones that die on you. But it's a win-win for the carriers. They get to look like they're shutting down crime while at the same time forcing people to come to them to buy phones at full price rather than being able to get a good deal on a used phone. Personally, that's one of the big reasons that I just ordered a galaxy nexus from the play store rather than trying to her another "cheap" iPhone off CL when mine took a "ride" or "swim" on an roller coaster this week and fell out of my pocket. That, and the fact that Jelly Bean looks incredible.

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    I thought SIMS protected us from this BS in the US, but I guess the big companies have won again. If this is the case I couldn't risk blowing several hundred dollars on a phone to have it be a paper weight. One bad phone buy, and I'd have been better off with a contract

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBoost View Post
    I thought SIMS protected us from this BS in the US, but I guess the big companies have won again. If this is the case I couldn't risk blowing several hundred dollars on a phone to have it be a paper weight. One bad phone buy, and I'd have been better off with a contract
    Yep, and I bet that's exactly what they had in mind.......

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, if someone sells a phone, then waits and reports it as lost or stolen, that person has committed fraud. I think I would now only purchase a phone on Craigslist after the seller provided me with their drivers license number, maybe I would even insist on taking a copy of it. Someone on my local CL is selling an iPhone 4s for $250, I wouldn't touch it without such info. And if my phone stopped working due to blacklisting, my first call would be to the seller, if we couldn't resolve the matter, my next call would be to the police. This is no different, ethically, from reporting a piece of jewelery, a car, etc. stolen, collecting the insurance money, then selling the item.

Sent from my HTC Inspire on Straight Talk using HowardForums
    My Phone Can Amortize, Can Yours?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast