Thread: TM506 Settings

Feedback Score

TM506 Settings

Quote Originally Posted by cutter44
    • The signal strength meter in my old phone always showed a good three to five bars (color blue) while I'm sitting at my desk at home. This new phone shows pretty much flat line (color red). The new one also shows the letter "H" next to the strength meter. Never saw that before with the old phone. T-Mo says that just means HSDPA. Still doesn’t explain the seemingly poorer reception.
    They are correct, the H just means HSDPA. It shouldn't affect reception. It could be a hardware issue.

• I can't send or receive MMS messages. I always had my email forwarded to my cell phone and it was a nice convenience, even though I rarely responded to email via cell phone. I knew what was waiting for me when I got home or to the office and if it was important, I could always call back. With this phone, it still forwards the email, but I can’t read it. When I try to open the message, it says Settings for mms missing. Install now? If I say "yes", it tries, then comes back with Could not install settings Please contact service provider for support..
    I think you mentioned earlier that you don't have a data plan. You may briefly turn data on so that it can download the MMS settings (assuming the database with the settngs is still operational.)

I pulled out one of my TM-506's and here are the MMS settings I have:

In the main menu, go to Messages. Select Settings\Picture Message

Scroll down to MMS profile. Mine said "T-zones". Select Edit. Select Options. Select Edit

Message Server: http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms

Connect using: t-zones GPRS

• I had a shortcut on my old TM506 to access my Call History using the top navigation key. But when I try to assign it with this phone, I get Currently Unavailable.
    Call history should be accessed by just hitting the green call button. But if you want to change the shortcuts go to Menu, Settings, General Tab, Shortcuts, and it should give you the option to change the directional key shortcuts to whatever you want. If some of them are blocked they were blocked in the firmware and can't be changed.

• The icon on the physical phone that shows a camera (below the green "call" icon) doesn't access the camera. It brings up a shortcut menu and I can’t see a way to change it.
    I don't think that can be easily changed. However, once you hit the shortcut menu, you can make it so that the camera is the first shortcut in the list (meaning you'd have to press the button twice.)

The other thing you can do is to set one of the directional key shortcuts to camera.

Here's one thing I'm wondering, which might solve some of the problems. The software version on this new phone is R3DA030 (it seemed to automatically update when I turned on the phone). But T-Mobile says their most recent supported update for the phone is R3CA033. Could this be the cause of most of my problems? If so, is there any way I can go back to that version on this phone? If there is, I hope it's easy, because I'm not a hacker.
    The place that I used to use for reflashing was called Davinciteam.com but it looks like they closed their doors. They charged about $10 and they would download the T-MO R3CA033 version back on the phone. TopSony.com recommends http://omnius-server.com/ for flashing those older phones now. It may cost you $11 or so, but you should be able to put the older firmware on there. There's no way to know if it will affect your reduced reception.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    PureTalk
    Feedback Score
    Thanks so much for this info. I'll try your MMS settings. Depending on how that works out, I guess I have to figure if I want to get used to the quirks or take advantage of the seller's return policy. The ability to make and receive calls is really going to be a deciding factor. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cutter44 View Post
    Thanks so much for this info. I'll try your MMS settings. Depending on how that works out, I guess I have to figure if I want to get used to the quirks or take advantage of the seller's return policy. The ability to make and receive calls is really going to be a deciding factor. Thanks again.
    Also, someone posted an updated link to the TM-506 firmware here:

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/software/phones/tm506/

However, it will likely put the R3DA030 version on the phone. And the T-Mobile rep you spoke with was incorrect, the R3DA030 version was eventually placed on phones that T-Mobile sold and it came after the R3CA033.

Again, I don't think that firmware would affect reception that much, but anything is possible.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    PureTalk
    Feedback Score
    Well, I just got off the phone (again) with T-Mobile. They sent the MMS settings over the air, and while I can now receive picture messages, I still can't send them. They also told me I have an old sim card, which may make a difference in reception. But as I told them, that same old sim card had no issues pulling a strong signal with my old dead TM506. I'm going to swap it out with a new sim and see what difference that makes. But as of right now, I'm leaning toward returning the new phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cutter44 View Post
    They sent the MMS settings over the air, and while I can now receive picture messages, I still can't send them.
    You may have to call tech support regarding the MMS. It's a T-Mobile branded phone and they should take responsibility for the inability to send messages.