Thread: zte merit screen goes black when making calls

Feedback Score

zte merit screen goes black when making calls

I've had my zte merit for about 2 months now and really like it, one problem I have is when I make a call sometimes the screen goes dark and the only thing I can do is push the power button to end the call, a real pain when you have to push 1 for this and 2 for that when you can't get the screen to come back on, any advice
    Thanks
    David

Feedback Score
    Sounds like normal behavior to me.
    When you put the phone up to your ear, the light sensor turns the screen off to save on the battery and help keep you from touching the screen and pressing something you didn't mean to.
    Take the phone away for a second or so and the screen comes back on (or should).

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    also check your display settings. it has a Proximity Sensor
    Last edited by alphamale-b; 07-24-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: r

Feedback Score
    How often do any of you get private messages from someone from straighttalk, I got one from someone asking for my account information, don't want to step on toes, but don't want my info to go to just anyone either

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You got that in PM box here on Hofo? I have heard of them sending PM's to other people but I wouldn't respond with any personal info if I were you just to be safe. I don't think anyone has ever confirmed if those are legitimate ST associates.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    still maybe dont let them indentify you on this forum. if you know what i mean. do posted anyting they say. force them out in the light.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnebe View Post
    I've had my zte merit for about 2 months now and really like it, one problem I have is when I make a call sometimes the screen goes dark and the only thing I can do is push the power button to end the call, a real pain when you have to push 1 for this and 2 for that when you can't get the screen to come back on, any advice
    Thanks
    David

Did you just try touching the screen to turn the view back on?

The first time I made a call on my zte merit, I went bonkers. Hitting the power button then the screen, home button. Lets just say my co-worker had one heck of a voice mail from hearing tapping to "wtf.... omg... I thought I hung up already!!! Dang it how the *beeP* do i hang the *beep* up!"
    Made for a great laugh.

After that time though, I just tried touching the screen itself to get the view back on and it worked. It does turn dark/black when held up to the ear to conserve power and not burn your ear from the heat of the battery.

Sadly, my Merit is temporary dead. The touch screen feature no longer works and waiting for my replacement.

Feedback Score
    You don't have to touch the screen to turn it back on.
    To prove it, lay the phone down on a table and make a test call to your bank or something that has a menu to choose from (to buy you some time).
    When they answer, put your finger over the light sensor, and watch the screen go dark.
    Remove your finger and watch the screen come back on.
    This is the same effect as putting it up to your ear, then taking it away.