Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Straight Talk Users/Customers BEWARE!!!

Feedback Score

Exclamation Walmart Straight Talk Users/Customers BEWARE!!!

I recently had a SAMSUNG T528G replaced via StraightTalk under warranty. While waiting for the (new) T528G to arrive in the mail, I made other arrangements for phone service and since I was waiting for the (updated) T528G to arrive, I decided to take the time to research and purchase a different ST phone. I decided on the ST Samsung Galaxy Proclaim and after weeks of finally tracking one down at the only Walmart store in a 30+ mile radius I eagerly activated the ST Proclaim only to find out... my "original" cell phone number assigned to my ST Samsung T528G (the same business # I've had for 10 years) IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE and CANNOT BE PORTED to my new ST Samsung Galaxy Proclaim After spending a total of an hour speaking to 3 different ST customer service reps, all they could tell me was "sorry sir we cannot retrieve/port your old cell phone number from your ST Samsung T528G to your new ST Samsung Galaxy Proclaim!"

Even after I explained how my 10 yr old number is tied to my business and that I have flyers and business cards associated to that cell number...they still said there was NOTHING they could do since I had not activated the Samsung T528G in a 30 day period (Incidentally, it has only been 31 days since the T528G was last activated!). I also pointed out to the ST reps that there is nothing on the ST product packaging, nor the ST website which kindly alerts ST customers to the fact that if you do not activate an old ST phone on your account within 30 days...your original number will be deactivated and gone forever!!!

I am beside myself, I cannot believe my old number is gone just like that!?

Does anyone have any suggestions at all on how I can get my old number back???
    Last edited by xxwildbillxx; 07-26-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    Wow, that is rough. I took a quick look through their terms and conditions and you may very well be screwed. First thing that caught my eye:
    "When You activate your Straight Talk service, you will be provided with a telephone number or you may, in some circumstances, port-in a number from another carrier. Please note that You have no ownership rights to any telephone number, IP address or any other identifier associated with your wireless service and You acknowledge and agree that we may change any such number, IP address or other identifier associated with your Straight Talk service at any time without prior notice to You."

So they own your number now.

Next:
    Refilling Your Account after Service End Date: If you do not buy and add Services prior to the Service End Date, your Straight Talk Service will be deactivated on the Service End Date, you will lose all unused Services (including minutes, text, Mobile Web Access and Service days) and you may lose your telephone number.

It sounds like even if you had waited 1 day after service end you ran the chance of losing your number.

When selling mobile phones about 7 years ago, we were always advised to tell business customers to stay away from prepaid plans for exactly this reason. There is a lot less protection for the customer when you are not on a contract, and the way prepaid companies are set up enables them to run free on a lot of these issues.

I'd recommend you keep calling until you get to their highest level of support (I think I heard they have a Miami office) and start threatening to file reports with the proper agencies. Unfortunately I read somewhere else that Straight Talk/TracPhone/Net10 already have a huge backlog of unresolved complaints, so it may not get you anywhere either, especially as the terms and conditions do spell out what their rights are.

Good luck. If you get your number back you may want to think about porting it to Google Voice immediately.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Your post is not entirely clear to me but if I'm reading it correctly it sounds like you are at fault. Are you saying you let your service lapse for an extended period of time? Honestly 30 days is a long time, I've heard of numbers being lost after only a few days of not purchasing service for the phone. As far as I know this is how all carriers work, pre paid and post paid, if you let service lapse for or cancel an acct then the number gets put back in the pool. I would say at this point it would be nearly impossible to get your number back.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by urinsane View Post
    Wow, that is rough. I took a quick look through their terms and conditions and you may very well be screwed. First thing that caught my eye:
    "When You activate your Straight Talk service, you will be provided with a telephone number or you may, in some circumstances, port-in a number from another carrier. Please note that You have no ownership rights to any telephone number, IP address or any other identifier associated with your wireless service and You acknowledge and agree that we may change any such number, IP address or other identifier associated with your Straight Talk service at any time without prior notice to You."

So they own your number now.

Next:
    Refilling Your Account after Service End Date: If you do not buy and add Services prior to the Service End Date, your Straight Talk Service will be deactivated on the Service End Date, you will lose all unused Services (including minutes, text, Mobile Web Access and Service days) and you may lose your telephone number.

It sounds like even if you had waited 1 day after service end you ran the chance of losing your number.

When selling mobile phones about 7 years ago, we were always advised to tell business customers to stay away from prepaid plans for exactly this reason. There is a lot less protection for the customer when you are not on a contract, and the way prepaid companies are set up enables them to run free on a lot of these issues.

I'd recommend you keep calling until you get to their highest level of support (I think I heard they have a Miami office) and start threatening to file reports with the proper agencies. Unfortunately I read somewhere else that Straight Talk/TracPhone/Net10 already have a huge backlog of unresolved complaints, so it may not get you anywhere either, especially as the terms and conditions do spell out what their rights are.

Good luck. If you get your number back you may want to think about porting it to Google Voice immediately.
    In reality, if a ported number is no longer active, it goes back to to the carrier to which it was originally assigned. The Original Poster should pursue his efforts with that original carrier.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would still try to see if you can get it back but the carriers seem to recycle quick these days. The only company I've had that seemed to bend of backwards and successfully get a number back for me was AT&T.
    Running too many phones

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Are you saying you let your service lapse for an extended period of time? Honestly 30 days is a long time, I've heard of numbers being lost after only a few days of not purchasing service for the phone.

Lapse ??? With all due respect, if you consider the situation at hand... since ST was fulfilling a warranty claim for me on a quirky T528G (and while waiting for the new/updated T528 to return) I decide to use my home line while waiting for the warranty replacement and take the time to find and upgrade to a ST Samsung Proclaim (als't while noticing my T528G was still ((and still is)) showing up on my ST account profile!)... That would be a resounding "No"... "I do not think I (carelessly) let my ST Service lapse". I would have followed through and done whatever ST wanted me to do (had it been clearly posted or verbally conveyed) on how to "SAVE" vs "NOT LOSE" my business number of 10 years

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Relax man, I wasn't attacking you & I completely agree that you did not carelessly let the service lapse. What I was pointing out was that unfortunately this is how the pre-paid carriers work. When I said it sounded like you are at fault I was only referring to the rules of pre-paid. Again, I agree it shouldn't be that way if you are waiting for a warrantly replacement but it is (I don't make the rules nor do I necessarily agree with them) and I guess the only way you could have avoided losing your number would have been to pay for the service either though you couldn't use your phone. I suppose you could have also ported your number out to another carrier then back into ST when you bought your Proclaim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Relax man, I wasn't attacking you & I completely agree that you did not carelessly let the service lapse.

D&B ... No flames here towards you. I know you weren't attacking me. That's why I said, "with all due respect". I know forum posts can be dry and most everyone here knows its not always easy to convey the tone of the writer since were not having a conversation face/face and cannot see each others facial expressions. As for the "relax man" comment ... thank you I'm trying my best. (I promise non of this is aimed in your direction in anyway).

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    its to late but always keep a spare phone and in warranty work transfer your number to the spare. google voice is recommended to park important number in the prepaid worlld. their terms do not state they own your number.

Phone
    Moto Atrix HD various ROMs
    Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    That number may already have been assigned, have you tried calling it? The number I got from tmo (and successfully ported to ST) had been used up to a month previously.

I don't see what Walmart did wrong, which was why I read this thread...
    Moto Atrix HD: (fantastic reception) Younggun's HoloBlur X, and stock rooted JB
    Moto Atrix 4G: (great reception) M Montuori's Atrix-MROM 2013-03-30 (CM7.2)
    tmo SGS 4G (poor reception): bhundven's unnamed v1 (GB)
    tmo (Huawei U8651T) (good reception) Prism, CWM recov v4, CM 7.2 stable rom for U8650 Sonic

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The Original Poster should pursue his efforts with that original carrier.

Okay so if I understand this "option" correctly... (even though the number originated from Nextel/Sprint... was then ported to TMobile... then ported to ST and canceled by ST... calling Sprint/Nextell is a viable possibility? (Why does this almost sound like cell phone number extortion... this is enough to drive a person nuts to say the least.)

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Boy, if this isn't one of the oddest situations to have to be thrust into! Unfortunately, it appears that sending in your phone with an existing account (the account existing on the phone directly) results in the same thing that would have happened had you returned the phone to Walmart: account quenched and gone! The combined setup of the America Movil companies and Walmart have no compunction nor enough common sense to know or even inquire whether a customer would want to maintain or simply suspend their assigned telephone number. How absolutely stupid on their part!

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    AT&T bent over backwards for me to keep a number which surprised me. If it was me i would still try to get the number back. Straight talk has good prices but I've heard many horror stories lately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisM77 View Post
    That number may already have been assigned, have you tried calling it? The number I got from tmo (and successfully ported to ST) had been used up to a month previously.

I don't see what Walmart did wrong, which was why I read this thread...
    I'm glad you asked... as soon as I got off the phone with the 1st ST rep at noon (CDT), I called my old original number and was greeted with, "The person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time...Please try your call again later". Out of curiosity, I just called my old number again just before posting this and the greeting (above) is still the same down to the ST/Tracphone Jingle.

As for "walmart not doing anything wrong" ... I simply posted this thread for help/hope in finding a solution which might get my old number back, while also helping others to "BEWARE" of not falling into the same problem of losing a long term/critical mobile business number.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xxwildbillxx View Post
    As for "walmart not doing anything wrong" ... I simply posted this thread for help/hope in finding a solution which might get my old number back, while also helping others to "BEWARE" of not falling into the same problem of losing a long term/critical mobile business number.
    sort of like being in a movie and shouting FIRE to get peoples attention?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast