Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monitoring data usage on iPhone under Straight Talk

Feedback Score

Monitoring data usage on iPhone under Straight Talk

We will be porting our number from AT&T and activating our ST SIM card soon on our iPhone 4. What is the best app to track data usage? I assume that the *DATA# will no longer work. I have seen Data Usage Pro and DataMan mentioned. It seems ST is based on a 30 day billing cycle as opposed to a monthly cycle. It would be nice if the app can track this type of cycle and reset itself each 30 days in accordance with ST's billing cycle. It would also be nice is it could run two parallel cycles ie, one for 30 days and one for a 24 hour period since user suggest staying less than 100MB/day AND 2GB/month.
    Pete
    Last edited by paroots; 07-30-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paroots View Post
    We will be porting our number from AT&T and activating our ST SIM card soon on our iPhone 4. What is the best app to track data usage? I assume that the *DATA# will no longer work. I have seen Data Usage Pro and DataMan mentioned. It seems ST is based on a 30 day billing cycle as opposed to a monthly cycle. It would be nice if the app can track this type of cycle and reset itself each 30 days in accordance with ST's billing cycle. It would also be nice is it could run two parallel cycles ie, one for 30 days and one for a 24 hour period since user suggest staying less than 100MB/day AND 2GB/month.
    Pete
    I tried several different ones. The one I liked best was WeeTrackData, which requires jailbreak. It puts meter in your notification area that you can swipe back and forth to show day, week, and month usage.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't plan to jailbreak since it's my wife's phone. It seems the capability to reset automatically on a 30 day (not monthly) cycle would be nice. Of course, a separate daily cycle would also be helpful.
    Pete

Feedback Score
    Pete
    I use 'my data mgr' app. It may not be as nice as some others, but it does the job and doesn't require jailbreak.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by golfermarsh View Post
    I use 'my data mgr' app. It may not be as nice as some others, but it does the job and doesn't require jailbreak.
    Thanks. Looks interesting. It even has a daily budget? Can it understand a 30 day billing cycle and reset itself automatically?
    Pete

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Looks interesting. It even has a daily budget? Can it understand a 30 day billing cycle and reset itself automatically?
    Pete
    I have only been using it for a short time, but it seems to work great - and appears that it will reset at the end of the 30 days. Time will tell - I will update if I remember!

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by golfermarsh View Post
    Is this in itunes or 3rd party if so can you post a link to it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    Is this in itunes or 3rd party if so can you post a link to it
    I think this is the app he's referring to
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-da...477865384?mt=8

I think we'll give it a try
    Pete

Feedback Score
    I use data monitor from the app store and after testing for months I found its more accurate than the other. And it's free.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone does keep track of data usage, its in the settings, you would just need to remember to reset it.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    I was hoping to get more feedback on which data usage apps were popular esp given the fact that many users recommend staying below 100MB/day and 2GB/month. Here are some desired criteria for such an app:
    - capable of 30 day billing cycle as opposed to the more common monthly
    - alerts for both daily and monthly usage
    - options to limit battery consumption
    Pete

Feedback Score
    Yesterday we installed My Data Manager on our iPhone 4. We'll try it for awhile. We may also try DataMan. It also looks good at 99 cents. The one thing about My Data Manager I like is it's 3 levels of battery consumption from best battery life to worst:
    1. Location Services disabled
    2. Location Services enabled with Coarse detail
    3. Location Services enabled with Detailed detail

Also My Battery Manager has a very useful FAQ which includes info about battery consumption here:
    Pete

Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried 3 G Watchdog for watching data usage?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
    Has anyone tried 3 G Watchdog for watching data usage?
    That's the one to use on Android. Its the most popular one and works well.

Sent from my LG Nitro HD

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks. I am going to take a look at it then. I want to keep myself in check so to not be throttled. Although I really wish I knew what number I am aiming for. I have only had the phone for a couple of weeks actually so I have no idea what I am using.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast