Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How is Galaxy S3 on Straight Talk AT&T SIM only plan?

Feedback Score

How is Galaxy S3 on Straight Talk AT&T SIM only plan?

Anyone using the Galaxy S3 AT&T variant (i747) on a Straight Talk SIM only plan? I assume you only get HSPA+ and no LTE right?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    No LTE on StraightTalk , only hspa+ .. if you have a LTE device, turn off LTE to save battery

Feedback Score
    It is possible to just turn off LTE on that phone, right?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Im not sure. If its a att branded samsung gs3, i dont believe so because att wants to offload 3g users on lte to put less strain on the 3g network. Now, im also not sure if the lte modem will disable itself after not being able to connect (some new devices do this). Either way no LTE for us ST users, so im not sure how the device will react. I believe there are some sg3 users on st, maybe one of them could shed some light on this as im also curious

Edit: I believe when you create the NEW APN for ST , it will automaticcally disable it.. here is a video explaining it

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/06...serve-battery/

Edit #2: or these intructions;

- from dialer *#197328640#
    - key input -> 1187226 (enable 3g only)
    - key input -> 118721 (go back to auto mode)

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I didn't see that. That sounds rather hackey, think that will remain after they do the jellybean update? If it is something that is always going to be there I guess that is a workable solution.

I almost just got the international version with no LTE at all but it only has 1gb of ram where all the other variants have 2gb which must be nice to have while you are spending the same amount of money.

No LTE on the Tmobile SIM only either right? I am guessing there is a similar command to disable LTE on the T999 S3 variant.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Thanks, I didn't see that. That sounds rather hackey, think that will remain after they do the jellybean update? If it is something that is always going to be there I guess that is a workable solution.

I almost just got the international version with no LTE at all but it only has 1gb of ram where all the other variants have 2gb which must be nice to have while you are spending the same amount of money.

No LTE on the Tmobile SIM only either right? I am guessing there is a similar command to disable LTE on the T999 S3 variant.
    Tmobile currently doesn't have an LTE network. They're building one, but not yet, so would be a moot point.

Feedback Score
    Right, but now I am thinking the Tmobile T999 S3 variant covers the necessary HSPA+ bands and everything necessary to work fine on AT&T but apparently the I747 AT&T S3 variant won't work on Tmobile as it is missing the 1700 band.

So it would appear that an unlocked Tmobile T999 S3 would be the best choice for Straight Talk users because you can get HSPA+ with either the AT&T SIM OR the Tmobile SIM.

If you can turn off the LTE on the T999 and if I understand everything on the bands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III

Feedback Score
    So, no one is using a galaxy S3 on straight talk?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    There are a few ... for edit #1 of ny earlier post , well, your going to have to do that anyway since you need the ST Apn .. also there is no "hackery" for edit #2 of my post , its a function of the phone.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Good point. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I qualify for an upgrade on one of my AT&T lines, I'll be ordering the S3 in two days. I'm gonna try it out for a few days and see how it works. I'm curious too.

Feedback Score
    Cool, right now I am waffling on the AT&T versus T-Mobile decision but I will probably go with AT&T. Seems like they are just now starting to drop below $500 buy it now on eBay. That came down pretty quick so I'll probably wait another week or two and see what we're at then. I might even wait until they have the jellybean update for it, historically Samsung hasn't been that great on getting updates out on time.

Feedback Score
    I sold my galaxy i777 & my skyrocket and i bought the att version working pretty good battery life its good better than skyrocket i get better signal..i only reach 4MB downlad with others but now i can get 7MB on my house...thanks galaxy s3!!

To changes bands its easy turn off your phone take out your sim then turn it on WITHOUT the sim on phone dial *#2263# then chose the next of gsm wcma (dont remember) then choose band 1900 or all
    Turn off your phone put your sim
    If you want go back to normal just do the same steps but choose automatic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Thanks, sounds like you are liking the phone then? I assume you are on the Straight Talk AT&T SIM?

Feedback Score
    Yes the phone its amazing!!! I LOVE THE NEW GALLERY:-)

And yes im using att sim the max i could get is 10.53MB download on my town! North Carolina

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using HowardForums

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast