Thread: t-mobile $30 unlimited data plan with google voice voip (Groove IP or similar)

Feedback Score

t-mobile $30 unlimited data plan with google voice voip (Groove IP or similar)

I have been toying with the idea of Google voice over 3G through this unlimited data for a while ever since I heard about the RW hybrid calling.

I do hear the t-mobile network coverage is very good in nyc. But not sure if the data connection and speed are reliable enough for google voice voip solutions.

Have anyone tried this? Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    I use Vonage Mobile over 4G, works fine. As long as you have a good signal.

Carrier
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Talk atone works good to even over a edge connection

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use grooveip over 3g without issues. I only use it for outgoing calls, great for calls you know will take a long time. I have between 1-3mbps and about 200ms ping. I don't notice much lag at all but have had issues dialing during calls to navigate menus. I think this was the app's issue and may be fixed by now.

I have this on my galaxy nexus and old optimus v for wifi use. Its always good to have a backup.

Has anyone had experience with incoming calls? I don't use it because I don't trust the reliability of it and a good signal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    If you get 3G you'll for sure be able to do this. Edge will only work good if you are close to a tower it seems. I've used PBXes and CSipSimple on Android and it seems to work decent over Edge. But yes this would be a good alternative. I would do it if I had 3g and it didn't cost $20 to port my number to GV and GV supported MMS.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, GV doesn't support MMS and that is a pain. Whatsapp solves this issue at some level though not completely.

Does this $30 plan from t-mobile offer 3G speeds? In the website I see "first 5 GB upto 4G speeds" but not sure what the speeds are actually. Has anyone used that $30 plan?

Feedback Score
    I use this plan with an unlocked Galaxy Nexus and coverage in my area is fantastic. I make all my calls through a SIP at pbxes.org and the clarity is great. Here is a thread that details how to set it up. The SIP option to use pbxes.org is one of a few including other VOIP (not SIP) clients.

Feedback Score
    I have tmobile on the atrix hd and i use vonage which is great because anyone who has the app you can make free calls with each other

Sent from my MB886 using T-Mobile HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t33l0 View Post
    I use this plan with an unlocked Galaxy Nexus and coverage in my area is fantastic. I make all my calls through a SIP at pbxes.org and the clarity is great. Here is a thread that details how to set it up. The SIP option to use pbxes.org is one of a few including other VOIP (not SIP) clients.
    Can you please post the link to thread you mentioned? Can you explain what you mean by, "The SIP option to use pbxes.org is one of a few including other VOIP (not SIP) clients." I'm not sure I understand your comment. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luther349 View Post
    Talk atone works good to even over a edge connection
    I agree, I have an international Galaxy S3 and it gets only EDGE on the Tmobile network, yet talkatone works great.

Phones
    6682, 6030, 6061
    6230b, v635, 3120b, 3650
    3100b, v3, v620, v400, x426, cf62t, t226, 3590, 3595, 6010, v66, v2282
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...h-Google-Voice

I know you mentioned explicitly calling over HSPA, which is not really talked about in the guide.

However, the important thing to note is that you need a codec that can handle some packet loss / jitter.

Sipdroid gets a lot of hate, and csipsimple a lot of love. At least sipdroid plays nicely with the Google Voice app. And it supports additional proprietary features with pbxes to mitigate packet loss.

Use the speex codec if possible, and you should be fine.

Where in NYC are you? I live in Brooklyn, and don't have many issues with calls over HSPA. I am usually stationary or on foot if on a call. In a moving vehicle, I've run into issues in the past. However, I was using pcm (you will be stuck to pcm if you use something like GrooveIP that doesn't have a middle man, since Google Voice only supports pcm)
    V 4.62.0
    28-10-05
    RM-58
    Nokia 6682

Feedback Score
    Hi ziddey, thanks for all the info.

In my phone I am using more and more sip/gv through simonics. I use a Nokia N9 for my regular phone on the At&t network and it has worked good so far. My only grouse is that the I am not able to disconnect and rejoin an ongoing call. For what ever reason the connection seems to be still on and I am dialing back to it again.

I have another phone with straight talk $45 (not really) "unlimited" plan and I am planning on switching to the t-mobile $30 plan exclusively with SIP/GV if that is reliable.

I live in northern NJ in a town called west new york.

Cool. So hopefully I'll try this for next month and see how it goes.