Thread: International Calls on Tracfone

Feedback Score

International Calls on Tracfone

I'd like to hear about anyone's experience in using Tracfone for International calls, as they claim no additional charges to landlines, and they have an impressive list of countries to call. This may be very useful for me to call special clients I have in the UK and maybe New Zealand.

Thanks in advance.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've used it to call Canada. Not the best quality but decent. Not sure I'd use it to call clients though. I thought it was a nice perk especially if you have a bunch of minutes to use up.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using HowardForums
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: Galaxy Note 3 and LG F6: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc2112 View Post
    I'd like to hear about anyone's experience in using Tracfone for International calls, as they claim no additional charges to landlines, and they have an impressive list of countries to call. This may be very useful for me to call special clients I have in the UK and maybe New Zealand.

Thanks in advance.
    I've used the phone to call Italy several times. At first, I put them in as frequent callers and got 800 numbers for them. However, as the calls became less in frequency, the 800 number disappeared and I used the normal method (calling their 800 number and then the entire phone number for Europe/Italy/ region) of calling. The phone quality was fine...as long as I wasn't near a florescent light. Most of the time it sounded as if they were nearby. In fact, tomorrow I plan to call, again, Italy and I can be more specific.
    One thing that is somewhat annoying: you cannot call, in many countries (ie: Italy or Spain), the cell phones there...it must be a land line. It's annoying because many people in Europe only have cell phones and not land lines.
    I decided to make the call today...for the most part the phone conversation was fine...however, the party in Italy responded with a cordless phone and, although the connection was good, the sound quality wasn't great. It sounded like a muffled voice, although I should point out that the party in question is known for mumbling when he speaks. This, too, may have had an effect.
    Last edited by ciliegia; 08-02-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: additional information

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I call to Mexico and call quality is decent when calling to landlines. And its a hit and miss when calling cell phones. With cellphones the voice can get choppy and a bit of static on the line. I did have an issue with them on my first month. Out of nowhere my call got dropped mid call, and when I tried to redial the access number and I got a message saying that I needed to buy an international calling card or sign up for a plan even though I do have the international long distance plan.

It took about a week and 4 different phone calls to straighten it out and get my ILD working again.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I should add that I was calling a Rogers cell phone in Canada, and I used both an AT&T GSM TracFone and a Verizon CDMA TracFone. Call quality was significantly better on the Verizon TracFone but there was still a bit of delay. AT&T's 2G network in my area is subpar so I attribute the poor quality to that. On my Verizon TracFone, quality was good but not great. For no additional per minute charge, it was perfectly fine. I'd probably use something better if it's for business. Obviously TracFone is making some concessions on voice/connection quality to be able to offer it for free.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc2112 View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Quality (internet) stinks for most destinations outside N.America.