Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Verizon Tether plan: why pay it now?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,754
    Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon Tether plan: why pay it now?

    I have Verizon right now, with the legacy $30 unlimited PDA data plan running on a LTE device (Droid Maxx). My area has not been upgraded to LTE yet, but when I am in LTE zones I *could* easily use 30-50GBs of data.

    I am also paying for the $30 mobile tether hotspot plan, I got it on 6/27 before verizon dropped unlimited data upgrades, for fear they would retire that plan (this turned out to be untrue, as I am told).

    Now that Verizon cannot block apps like FoxFi from the Android market, is there any reason to keep the $30 plan? I feel like I am wasting my money, but at the same time I fear Verizon could retire this plan and somehow shut off unlimited tether.

    Should I keep the $30 tether plan?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    111
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    short answer : no

    long answer: never

    extended answer: why the heck would you want to pay more for the same thing you are getting, if you really feel that obligated to pay someone for this "service", i'll give you my paypal and you can send me $30 every month

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    2,069
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by b005td View Post
    short answer : no

    long answer: never

    extended answer: why the heck would you want to pay more for the same thing you are getting, if you really feel that obligated to pay someone for this "service", i'll give you my paypal and you can send me $30 every month
    http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-12-1228A1.pdf


    Please point out to me, on which page and where on that page, it states that VZW must allow the customer, either unlimited or tiered data, to tether for free?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,754
    Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm just afraid down the road VZW will be like AT&T and try and force it onto unlimited users plans, or force them to a overage-plan ($30/2GB) and I will wish I had it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,754
    Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-12-1228A1.pdf


    Please point out to me, on which page and where on that page, it states that VZW must allow the customer, either unlimited or tiered data, to tether for free?
    This is already being discussed in another thread. Downloading Mp3's is also against the rules, but its not enforced either.

    I just want to know if its worth it as it pertains to the $30 tether plan.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3008
    Posts
    5,234
    Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    This is already being discussed in another thread. Downloading Mp3's is also against the rules, but its not enforced either.

    I just want to know if its worth it as it pertains to the $30 tether plan.
    With Verizon hotspot: "The app caused my phone to overheat/melt and doesn't work right." "Ok, under warranty, here's your replacement"

    With FoxFi tethering: "The app caused my phone to overheat/melt and doesn't work right." "A replacement will be $600"

    Not likely to happen but still....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    594
    Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    N/A
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Please visit this link it answers any and all questions about tuesday fcc decision with verizon.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...ns-to-you-faq/
    TIM G

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,771
    Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-12-1228A1.pdf
    Please point out to me, on which page and where on that page, it states that VZW must allow the customer, either unlimited or tiered data, to tether for free?
    Well exactly what do you think the following verbiage means then? If the FCC didn't mean that users on usage-based (tiered) plans can now use a 3rd-party app to tether for free what possible motive could they have for including it in the Consent Decree?
    Verizon Wireless customers on usage-based plans who subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect for tethering may terminate their subscription to that service without penalty.
    And every tech article and blog I've read agrees with that assessment. These are just two of them:
    But Verizon still offers its older plans to existing customers. This means customers who want to subscribe to Verizon's Mobile Broadband Connect service for an additional $20 a month can still do so if they want. But if they'd like to download a third party app from the Google Play or some other application store that offers such an app, they can do that and avoid the $20.
    Of course, the latest ruling isn’t a complete victory for users of tethering apps, as the ruling does specify that tethering app usage is fine to bypass the additional $20 fee Verizon currently imposes for tethering on the carrier’s current tiered plans, but the regulator did say that the tethering fee was more than reasonable for those with older unlimited plans, making this more of a hollow victory rather than a substantial penalty for Verizon.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,754
    Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    It appears the same provision for the tiered plans accessing the c-block LTE network also applies to unlimited users, despite what you quote from verizon.

    That's not the issue. So unless verizon is going to force some unwanted plan, which is the only thing I can see, I see no reason to keep paying it.



    Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,894
    Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54 View Post
    If the FCC didn't mean that users on usage-based (tiered) plans can now use a 3rd-party app to tether for free what possible motive could they have for including it in the Consent Decree?
    It could be like it was years ago when the FCC said you can now use 3rd-party phones on your landline. It didn't mean that you didn't have to pay your phone bill anymore.

    Though, it seems that as long as you are paying for the 4G LTE data used by tethering, which you do on a tiered plan, you're OK. If you are using 3G, or have the old unlimited data plan, its up to Verizon. These news sources have claiming Verizon will extend such to those too, but I have yet to see such from Verizon directly.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,771
    Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    It appears the same provision for the tiered plans accessing the c-block LTE network also applies to unlimited users, despite what you quote from verizon.
    Uh........what? I didn't quote anything from Verizon. I quoted directly from the FCC link that Sam73065 had in his post. OK, let me quote the whole paragraph from the FCC Consent Decree:
    Other Actions. Verizon Wireless commits that it will notify, or has notified, the
    Application Store Operator that it no longer objects to the availability of the eleven tethering
    Applications described in paragraph 4 to Verizon Wireless C-Block Network customers in the
    Application Store. On June 28, 2012, Verizon Wireless modified its pricing plans to allow
    customers on usage-based plans to tether their devices without paying an additional fee, while
    customers on unlimited usage plans must continue to pay an additional fee to tether their devices.

    Verizon Wireless customers on usage-based plans who subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect
    for tethering may terminate their subscription to that service without penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    That's not the issue. So unless verizon is going to force some unwanted plan, which is the only thing I can see, I see no reason to keep paying it.
    That is precisely the issue.......at least as far as those still on grandfathered unlimited data plans are concerned. From my interpretation of the FCC Consent Decree and from reading several other tech articles and blogs on the issue it seems that Verizon cannot charge a tethering fee for anyone on a tiered data plan using a 3rd-party application but they can charge a tethering fee for those on unlimited data plans because tethering is explicitly forbidden in the TOS for those on unlimited data plans without paying a tethering fee. Why else would the FCC say that those on "usage-based plans who subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect for tethering may terminate their subscription to that service without penalty?" If it applied to everyone, including those with unlimited data plans, I would think they would have said so. They very specifically singled out usage-based (tiered) plans in their decree.

    From Arstechnica.com:
    The FCC concedes that Verizon may charge $20 per month for customers who retain grandfathered unlimited data plans. But for all the rest with a concrete data limit, it's a plain-faced money grab, and the $20 per month charge needs to end. So boldly sally forth, would-be Verizon plan tetherers, and tether freely. Just watch those overage charges.
    From Gigaom.com:
    The FCC also is saying that Verizon cannot charge customers on tiered data plans the $20 a month tethering fee, but it can charge it for those customers who are on an unlimited data plan.
    From idownloadblog.com
    This is great news for Verizon customers, who will not only be free to use their tethering apps of choice, but will also no longer be forced to pay the $20 tethering fee (unless they’re still on an unlimited plan).
    From gottabemobile.com:
    The FCC ruled that Verizon has to let all users on tiered data plans use tethering apps and the carrier can’t charge them the extra $20 it does now. The carrier can still charge the extra fee to users on unlimited plans.
    From CNET.com:
    What if I have an old Verizon unlimited data plan? Can I download an app and avoid the $20 tethering fee too?
    Unfortunately, the answer to this question is no. Verizon says that customers under the unlimited plan are required by the company's terms of service to pay an additional fee to tether their device.
    Last edited by taoman54; 08-02-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added tech article quotes

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,771
    Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    It could be like it was years ago when the FCC said you can now use 3rd-party phones on your landline. It didn't mean that you didn't have to pay your phone bill anymore.
    Do you really believe that's what the FCC meant in this particular decree?

    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Though, it seems that as long as you are paying for the 4G LTE data used by tethering, which you do on a tiered plan, you're OK. If you are using 3G, or have the old unlimited data plan, its up to Verizon. These news sources have claiming Verizon will extend such to those too, but I have yet to see such from Verizon directly.
    I haven't seen any news sources or articles stating that Verizon will extend this to 3G or unlimited data plans. Do you have a link to one?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,754
    Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54 View Post
    Uh........what? I didn't quote anything from Verizon. I quoted directly from the FCC link that Sam73065 had in his post. OK, let me quote the whole paragraph from the FCC Consent Decree:

    That is precisely the issue.......at least as far as those still on grandfathered unlimited data plans are concerned. From my interpretation of the FCC Consent Decree and from reading several other tech articles and blogs on the issue it seems that Verizon cannot charge a tethering fee for anyone on a tiered data plan using a 3rd-party application but they can charge a tethering fee for those on unlimited data plans because tethering is explicitly forbidden in the TOS for those on unlimited data plans without paying a tethering fee. Why else would the FCC say that those on "usage-based plans who subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect for tethering may terminate their subscription to that service without penalty?" If it applied to everyone, including those with unlimited data plans, I would think they would have said so. They very specifically singled out usage-based (tiered) plans in their decree.

    From Arstechnica.com:

    From Gigaom.com:

    From idownloadblog.com

    From gottabemobile.com:
    Again:

    http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-...-investigation

    The press release I read, by the FCC, made it sound like it applies to ALL C-Block 700mhz LTE customers, including tiered and unlimited users.

    Yes of course Verizon is going to say that's forbidden, tethering without the fee. Its also forbidden to bring outside food into the movie theater. But everyone does it. Verizon said the $30 fee is for both plans because tether users consume more data, but again, are they going to force high-usage unlimited users to have it? That is my question.


    so unless verizon is going to go back and force us to change plans and/or give up our unlimited data plans once our contracts run out, do we have to worry if we do not pay $30 tether charge and use >10GBs of data? That is my concern, not 1000 different ways to read the FCC ruling........

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    2,069
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    This is already being discussed in another thread. Downloading Mp3's is also against the rules, but its not enforced either.

    I just want to know if its worth it as it pertains to the $30 tether plan.
    Until such time, at least 30 days, that VZW and/or the FCC clear up the specific rules regarding unlimited data users, I'll continue paying for my hotspot. If you want to drop it, then do whatever you think is right. I do suspect however that if VZW decides this ruling means unlimited users can tether for free, that unlimited users will see their unlimited plans go away as soon as the day after their contract expiration and within 2 years, there will be no more unlimited data users on VZW.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,754
    Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    Until such time, at least 30 days, that VZW and/or the FCC clear up the specific rules regarding unlimited data users, I'll continue paying for my hotspot. If you want to drop it, then do whatever you think is right. I do suspect however that if VZW decides this ruling means unlimited users can tether for free, that unlimited users will see their unlimited plans go away as soon as the day after their contract expiration and within 2 years, there will be no more unlimited data users on VZW.

    Yes, I can see them doing this, but they may do it whether or not you pay the additional $30 for tethering.

    You may however escape the first round of unlimited data genocide, but will it keep you off the radar longer? I don't know, I'm so confused.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon pricing for new tethering plan BroadbandAccess Connect
    By mobilicity in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 10:53 PM
  2. which plan & why USCC over Verizon
    By randypape in forum USCellular
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 01:38 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 07:18 AM
  4. Verizon smartphone data plan...why so much?
    By rkdiddy in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:42 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 11:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks