Thread: How to select APN on Straight Talk. I have no, text, DATA, or MMS

Feedback Score

How to select APN on Straight Talk. I have no, text, DATA, or MMS

Straight Talk just finished porting over my number from boost a few minutes ago. Incoming/outgoing calls work fine. The problem is (No DATA, not able to receive text, both outgoing/incoming MMS not working.. Funny, while on WIFI i can only send/receive text and MMS from my sister. She's on verizon iphone 4s. Now my other female friend that's on verizon, has the tablet----can only receive my texts, but i can't receive her's at the time or others on my contacts. The only way im able to access the APN on my iphone 4s is by installing a T-mobile sim card cut to fit the tray..

Can the great members of this forums help me correct this problem im having?

Thank you

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sb5100 View Post
    Straight Talk just finished porting over my number from boost a few minutes ago. Incoming/outgoing calls work fine. The problem is (No DATA, not able to receive text, both outgoing/incoming MMS not working.. Funny, while on WIFI i can only send/receive text and MMS from my sister. She's on verizon iphone 4s. Now my other female friend that's on verizon, has the tablet----can only receive my texts, but i can't receive her's at the time or others on my contacts. The only way im able to access the APN on my iphone 4s is by installing a T-mobile sim card cut to fit the tray..

Can the great members of this forums help me correct this problem im having?

Thank you
    Give it some time. Sometimes with a port the voice starts working fine, but it takes a few hours before other stuff starts working. The reason that your messages are working with another iPhone over wifi is that an iPhone uses iMessage to another iPhone, and that is sent over the data connection, not as a regular text. My advice would be to give it a few hours. If its still not working, then give them a call or better yet post a ticket on their Facebook page to check the status. From all indications, you just have an incomplete port.

Feedback Score
    Thanks maestroteague! Just spoke with Straight Talk 3 minutes ago.. I was told in order for my DATA to work i will need to unlock my iphone and work on the APN.. About the texing. She told me to turn off my phone while she was working on the system. Right after the rep finished i was told to turn on the phone that my text should start working! Nothing yet till now!

Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    Give it some time. Sometimes with a port the voice starts working fine, but it takes a few hours before other stuff starts working. The reason that your messages are working with another iPhone over wifi is that an iPhone uses iMessage to another iPhone, and that is sent over the data connection, not as a regular text. My advice would be to give it a few hours. If its still not working, then give them a call or better yet post a ticket on their Facebook page to check the status. From all indications, you just have an incomplete port.

Feedback Score
    On the phone with Straight Talk as i type.. I also called at&t 3 times tonight asking to help me unlock the iphone 4s.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    On the phone with Straight Talk as i type.. I also called at&t 3 times tonight asking to help me unlock the iphone 4s.
    well they wont unlock it for u ... they actually cant .. to get data working to go http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ on your iphone and set the apn from there ... to get mms working google "straight talk iphone wiki" and the instructions will be there

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpapa1086 View Post
    well they wont unlock it for u ... they actually cant .. to get data working to go http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ on your iphone and set the apn from there ... to get mms working google "straight talk iphone wiki" and the instructions will be there
    Incorrect. AT&T can carrier unlock the phone regardless if you are their customer o not. That won't automatically start working when they unlock it--you'll still have to fix the APN either with the unlockit profile, by jail breaking, by editing the plist info, or by doing a tmobile sim swap. If you need more info on those methods, do some searching. They've all been explained multiple times.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Incorrect. AT&T can carrier unlock the phone regardless if you are their customer o not. That won't automatically start working when they unlock it--you'll still have to fix the APN either with the unlockit profile, by jail breaking, by editing the plist info, or by doing a tmobile sim swap. If you need more info on those methods, do some searching. They've all been explained multiple times.
    I need to read slower, i thought he said he was on the phone with St trying to unlock ...

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

I need to read slower, i thought he said he was on the phone with St trying to unlock ...
    No lob. Was actually surprised when saw that you had written that. Your posts that i'e seen in the last few weeks are generally right on and helpful. :-)

Feedback Score
    Okay. I just got off the phone with att. I told them i was traveling in the next 2 weeks and needed the the iphone 4s unlocked for use on another provider while traveling.. The rep asked if i paid full price... i answered "yes" the request took about 5 minutes right after the rep asked for the IMEI number. I was told to fax over the receipt of purchase in the next 48 hours or else a new claim will have to be generated again by at&t.. This phone was purchased from a howardforum member 1 week ago.

Feedback Score
    I was on the phone with Straight talk for an hour today trying to fix the incoming SMS. The only text i can receive is from Straight talk themselves. I was given a Straight talk number for me to test SMS 972-415-3719. a service tech replied right after i sent my SMS text.
    Last edited by sb5100; 08-05-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Feedback Score
    After installing unlockit.co.nz app. DATA started working!

Feedback Score

Last edited by sb5100; 08-05-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: double post

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Something wrong?

Sent from my SGH-I997 using HowardForums