Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transfer AT&T iPhone 4S To Verizon

Feedback Score

Transfer AT&T iPhone 4S To Verizon

Can I cancel with AT&T and use my iPhone 4S on Verizon? I've heard this may not be possible.

Phone
    LG Enlighten
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Verizon Wireless is a CDMA carrier. AT&T is a GSM carrier. Verizon phones do not use sim cards so no you cant

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I was thinking apple only made one iPhone 4S and it could be used on either CDMA or GSM.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've also heard that unlike the 4, the 4S has all the radios to work on all the carriers around the world. Unfortunately, these carriers then lock down the phone to only work on their frequencies. So its not possible to terminate with a GSM carrier and take your phone to a CDMA one, or vice versa.

Feedback Score
    Can the 4S be jail broken and unlocked to work on Verizon?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you hack the iPhone yourself it can be done, not if just factory unlocked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Can you point me in right direction to do that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To my knowledge there isnt a way to activate a gsm phone on a cdma network because the att 4S does not have an esn that verizon can activate but a verizon iphone 4S can be unlocked to work with all gsm carriers, and flash to some cdma carriers, cricket, etc. because it has an imei and esn

Carriers
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrett178 View Post
    Verizon Wireless is a CDMA carrier. AT&T is a GSM carrier. Verizon phones do not use sim cards so no you cant
    I just want to point out that this statement is not fully correct. It is true that older and more basic Verizon phones do not use SIM cards. But other 3G Verizon phones do use SIM cards for international travel.

But more importantly, all of Verizon's 4G phones use SIM cards to authenticate both on Verizon's EVDO/eHRPD and LTE networks. Verizon's 4G phones use C-SIM authentication for 3G and 4G, which is nothing more than "CDMA SIM" authentication. C-SIM has been in use in many countries for quite some time and became absolutely necessary for Verizon to adopt when they chose to go with the GSM variant of 4G (i.e. LTE) since the GSM Association mandates SIM card authentication on any GSM network.

In reference to the OP's question: the iPhone 4S does not support C-SIM authentication--it's still just a 3G phone. While every iPhone 4S does have the CDMA hardware inside it, Apple has disabled the CDMA functionality in every iPhone 4S designated for a non-CDMA carrier. So you likely will find no way to make it work on Verizon.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Only the Verizon iPhone 4S has a SIM slot, not the iPhone 4. Essentially, there are no older iPhones sold by Verizon with a SIM card slot.

Phones
    BB 9810 is primary
    BB 9810
    Verizon Motorola Km1
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AFAIK, Verizon will not activate a non-Verizon branded device on their network. Another vote for No you cannot.

Feedback Score
    GSM and CDMA are two different technologies. There is no way to use a Att phone on Verizon.

Carriers
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Same core chipset. Best assumption is that the factory locks the radio by "flash once Rom", thus making changing it afterwards impossible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    At&t SGS III Belton/Nolanville, TX

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrghujuikhjd View Post
    Thanks. I was thinking apple only made one iPhone 4S and it could be used on either CDMA or GSM.
    They do only make one iPhone 4S... and the radio does support both GSM and CDMA... if you buy the device at full retail at an Apple store, you can bring it to whomever you want... and switch carriers each month, if you were so inclined.

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    No. Verizon locks down their cdma network like crazy even if u have a true duo support cdma/gsm phone like the iPhone 4s.

Blame cdma tech for that. They claim it's for security but we all know the real reason.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast