Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got a new TD Debit card with the Visa logo... and now I can't pay my Wind bill.

Carriers
    Wind
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Got a new TD Debit card with the Visa logo... and now I can't pay my Wind bill.

We got this new TD debit card with a Visa logo not too long ago. New card has a Visa number on it, as opposed to our old TD debit card which just had the debit card number.

So I go to pay my Wind bill online, like always, only to discover that I can't use the pay by interac function. (The field where you enter your card number doesn't allow enough digits.) I looked into this a bit more, and it seems to be a current TD limitation.

Ok then, that's why I've got this Visa logo, right?

Try paying using the Visa option on Wind's site... and it fails. Something about the financial institution denying the transaction.

Try again using the *123# code, and it fails again.

Call customer service, and of course they're no help at all... they just tell me over and over again to pay using the website. They can't understand what I'm trying to tell them because they don't really understand English, despite the fact that they can speak it, somewhat.

So I drag myself to the mall, and pay in person using the debit card. Awesome.

That was yesterday.

Today, I decide to order my fiancee a device from the Google Play store. Of course since Google doesn't see fit to sell directly to us Canadians, I'm forced to VPN into a relatives network in the US, and attempt to make my purchase via Visa. That ended with "Payment Method not supported".

Awesome!

Did I mention these new TD Visa Debit cards are NFC enabled? Well, they are! Don't get too excited though, because the NFC functionality is completely useless at the present time. Tried it at Timmys, Esso, and somewhere else which escapes my memory at present... not supported.

I guess this has less to do with Wind, and more to do with TD issuing useless crap that doesn't work as advertised. Just figured I'd throw it out there so you folks know what to expect if you happen to have TD and are considering a card "upgrade".
    Robellusilicity Screw You

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DroogBC View Post
    We got this new TD debit card with a Visa logo not too long ago. New card has a Visa number on it, as opposed to our old TD debit card which just had the debit card number.

So I go to pay my Wind bill online, like always, only to discover that I can't use the pay by interac function. (The field where you enter your card number doesn't allow enough digits.) I looked into this a bit more, and it seems to be a current TD limitation.

Ok then, that's why I've got this Visa logo, right?

Try paying using the Visa option on Wind's site... and it fails. Something about the financial institution denying the transaction.

Try again using the *123# code, and it fails again.

Call customer service, and of course they're no help at all... they just tell me over and over again to pay using the website. They can't understand what I'm trying to tell them because they don't really understand English, despite the fact that they can speak it, somewhat.

So I drag myself to the mall, and pay in person using the debit card. Awesome.

That was yesterday.

Today, I decide to order my fiancee a device from the Google Play store. Of course since Google doesn't see fit to sell directly to us Canadians, I'm forced to VPN into a relatives network in the US, and attempt to make my purchase via Visa. That ended with "Payment Method not supported".

Awesome!

Did I mention these new TD Visa Debit cards are NFC enabled? Well, they are! Don't get too excited though, because the NFC functionality is completely useless at the present time. Tried it at Timmys, Esso, and somewhere else which escapes my memory at present... not supported.

I guess this has less to do with Wind, and more to do with TD issuing useless crap that doesn't work as advertised. Just figured I'd throw it out there so you folks know what to expect if you happen to have TD and are considering a card "upgrade".
    Its not TD, I have a CIBC visa debit with the exact same issues you've listed. Its a Visa debit issue. Pretty much useless at this point and time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    All visa debit cards in Canada are too new to be supported by everyone.

You're going to have to deal with it for a while.
    I am too.

People fight too much on this forum. Can't we all just be friends?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by savbers View Post
    All visa debit cards in Canada are too new to be supported by everyone.

You're going to have to deal with it for a while.
    I am too.

I'd be happy if Google Play store worked at least

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I'd be happy if Google Play store worked at least
    Are you talking about paid apps? I've used prepaid credit cards for those.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HowardForums
    Rome wasn't built in a day, but if Wind was the builder, it would still be under construction.

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    those debit and visa or any of those card won't work...
    like not even wind...
    if you take those card to some restaurant with "only" debit machine, they won't be able to take money off it cuz they can't read the card...
    so i guess its a known problem in other places too

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had the same problems. Except I was trying to pay rent (which, for me, is slightly more important than my phone bill). After a very vocal description of my problems to someone at a branch, they got the manager to open their vault and pull out one of the old style cards to assign to me. I'm back with the green card now.

Second worst banking experience I've ever had.
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclearbroccoli View Post
    Are you talking about paid apps? I've used prepaid credit cards for those.

Ya I have cards that work, the issue is Visa debit cards not working

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Ya I have cards that work, the issue is Visa debit cards not working
    Ah..
    I'll stick with my plain old card I think.

Phone
    BlackBerry Passport
    Feedback Score
    I recently taped my debit card back together after it cracked. I've been hearing too many horror stories about Visa debit, which is what my bank will replace my current card with if I ask for a replacement, for it to be worth the risk. I have a credit card which I only use to book hotels or car rentals while I'm travelling and I refuse to use it for any online transactions since I had my ID stolen twice a couple of years ago. Visa better sort these issues out soon, I don't know how much longer I can keep my current card going for, I can't imagine being stuck somewhere not being able to pay due to the crappiness of their card.

Feedback Score
    I would give the bank a call and ASK THEM why the transaction was declined. As I understand it, these "visa debit" cards work just like a credit card and need to be treated as such, which means things like ADDRESS need to match up to the address the bank has on file for that account.

Also RE NFC ENABLED: There are multiple different credit card NFC schemes in competition. Your card needs to support the one listed on the machine you're trying to use. Tim hortons uses "paypass", so your card would have to also support paypass. TD Visa uses "paywave", which is incompatible. Paypass is a lot more common than paywave.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Also RE NFC ENABLED: There are multiple different credit card NFC schemes in competition. Your card needs to support the one listed on the machine you're trying to use. Tim hortons uses "paypass", so your card would have to also support paypass. TD Visa uses "paywave", which is incompatible. Paypass is a lot more common than paywave.
    I don't think that's accurate. Tim Hortons only accepts MasterCard. Visa doesn't work there, but it has nothing to do with it being PayWave. I have never had a problem using a PayPass enabled MasterCard or PayWave enabled Visa at any location that accepts Visa and MasterCard, and is equipped for NFC payments. It's the same technology, just branded differently.

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    I also got one of these cards awhile back. It really would preferable to just have a debit charge instead of a visa charge.

This link:

http://visa.ca/en/personal/visa-debit-card/index.jsp

gives you the current merchants that accept this type of card in case anyone needed to know. Hopefully over time this becomes more and more useful to the consumer.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxii View Post
    I also got one of these cards awhile back. It really would preferable to just have a debit charge instead of a visa charge.

This link:

http://visa.ca/en/personal/visa-debit-card/index.jsp

gives you the current merchants that accept this type of card in case anyone needed to know. Hopefully over time this becomes more and more useful to the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visa Canada
    Visa Debit is accepted online, by telephone, and by mail order at participating online merchants in Canada and at US and International retailers that accept Visa.
    "Participating" online merchants that accept Visa. Nice. I couldn't use it online when I tried.

But the big killer is that you can't use it for Interac online payments. I tried manipulating the login page to let me in with a 16 digit Visa number, but I was unable to do so.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
    "Participating" online merchants that accept Visa. Nice. I couldn't use it online when I tried.

But the big killer is that you can't use it for Interac online payments. I tried manipulating the login page to let me in with a 16 digit Visa number, but I was unable to do so.
    Ya its bunk, supposed to add options for purchases bit in reality does more harm than good at present.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast