Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transferring Safelink service to another Tracfone

Feedback Score

Transferring Safelink service to another Tracfone

If you get the free phone that comes with the SafeLink program, can you transfer the service plan of 250 minutes/mo., 125 min, etc. to another upgraded Tracfone that isn't part of the Safelink program? I was wondering if that was able to work. If so, how do you transfer? I was thinking of upgrading and calling customer service, but I'm not sure if they'll let you.

Feedback Score
    I believe that you can use any Tracfone handset you want. The free one that they send you is just to get things started. But if you have another Tracfone handset that you would rather use, you just have to call and have the account switched over.

Feedback Score
    Yes, you can transfer your SafeLink service to another Tracfone you have. Call SafeLink customer service and be prepared to spend sometime on the phone with them. I have done it twice in less than a year with SafeLink.

Feedback Score
    Okay, thank you for the helpful answers! I'll try that.

Feedback Score
    Also, when you purchase the new Tracfone, is it okay to use the phone before calling to transfer, or should you not touch it until then? I've heard that you shouldn't use the SIM card or phone until you get it switched over. Please clarify

RuralUser, were you able to keep the same number?

Feedback Score
    If you activate the phone ahead of time, it will be forced to burn some phone number onto the sim. Then when you want to put your Safelink number onto the phone, you will need a new sim. This is free of cost, but it has to be sent to you. It just depends what your inconvenience level is.

When you change phones, all of your account information just switches to the new equipment. Of course, you have to provide Safelink with all the new serial numbers so they can do the switch. Also, you might have to go to code entry mode and punch in some codes. That is usually the part that gets on my last nerve, but it goes with the territory.

Some phones don't use sims, so that is one less detail. But it causes an extra activation step to be necessary in order to make up the difference.

Feedback Score
    Even if the phone isn't activated yet, will you still need a new SIM card sent to keep the number? Thanks for all your help.

Just wondering, how is the SIM card sent to you (FedEx, USPS, etc.) and would you require a direct signature to receive it? I'm pretty busy and out of the house and this thought came into my mind. :P It's fine if you don't know though.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    If the phone is new and not yet activated, it should already have a new SIM packaged with it, so you won't need to wait for a SIM if you transfer the service and activate the new phone at the same time. If I remember right, I received a SIM once via FedEx and no signature was required. I think they will even send it to a PO Box if that's what you request.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alliwu View Post
    Just wondering, how is the SIM card sent to you (FedEx, USPS, etc.) and would you require a direct signature to receive it? I'm pretty busy and out of the house and this thought came into my mind. :P It's fine if you don't know though.
    If it is coming FedEx and a signature is required, you can request that it be delivered to a nearby FedEx/ Kinko's and sign for it there.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for clearing things up!

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    You may need a new sim card for a new phone if it doesn't have the correct carrier's sim in it.

I just upgraded my handset for the 3rd time on Safelink. I upgraded to the LG800.

This time they did a port instead of a simple transfer. I had to wait several hours, then go to the tech support page and enter the ticket number. It had me enter the 6 codes and the phone was activated. However I did not receive my 111.60 minutes from the old phone.

I just called and was told that the minutes are for the phone, and when upgrading the minutes did not transfer. I know last time there was no such problem. Make sure you ask about minutes transferring, or do the upgrade before the first of the month if you are not on a rollover plan.

I had just added a 60 minute card about 10 days ago, so I told the guy I had purchased those minutes that they were not part of my monthly plan minutes. He took the serial number of the old phone and had to contact "the other dept". He came back with "the other dept. will allow me to transfer 95 minutes". When I asked why only 95, he said he did not have an answer for that. I told him since it was only a few days till I got my monthly minutes I wasn't going to argue about it.

Perhaps since a 60 minute card on Safelink DMFL phone gives 200 minutes, and I also used a bonus code for another 60 minutes, they based their decision on that. I am not going to waste my time over 17 minutes.

Does anyone know if I can enroll my Safelink phone in the Tracfone Value Plan? $10 a month will give 150 minutes on a triple minute phone. That would give my wife 400 minutes a month total.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Feedback Score
    I already switched my phone service, but unfortunately only 10 minutes transferred. Didn't realize until I finished talking to CS, and I didn't bother to call back. But I can wait a few days until the next monthly minutes come

I believe you can buy and use the value plans, but I'm not entirely sure. If you want, call SafeLink to check just in case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alliwu View Post
    I already switched my phone service, but unfortunately only 10 minutes transferred. Didn't realize until I finished talking to CS.
    Those 10 minutes didn't transfer from your old phone. They were the 10 starter minutes that you get with new activation. You also get 60 days at new activation. Did the expiration date transfer? That is, is your expiration date now the old expiration plus 60 days? It should be.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the correction; sorry about that mistake.

Feedback Score
    I bought a StraightTalk trackfone and I called SafeLink and they said that Androids are unactivateable with Safe Link

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast